1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antawn Jamison vs. John Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Oatdog, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

On the eve of the new NBA season I ask the question that is on everyone's minds (j/k, I know it's straight out of left field): is there really that big of a difference between Antawn Jamison, a near 20 point scorer and top five pick, and John Wallace, a guy who couldn't even crack the Knicks' playoff rotation? They're both athletic tweeners who can score and have a little trouble on D. It seems like Jamison is a poor team's go-to guy where Wallace is an offensively deep team's luxury. You flip flop them around, and Wallace could be a go-to guy, and Jamison could be a latter option (like another Golden State go-to guy alumnus - Mr. Popular, Joe Smith)

On the Rockets note, I'm not that disappointed that the Jamison supposed trade was bogus, but I do kind of wonder if Los-for-Wallace would not have been a steal, esp. considering Los wants to bolt to Detroit anyway. Make no mistake, I like this team as is, but Wallace seems like he could enhance the team. He's got world class scoring ability. Mid-season last year, he was a principal in at three way swap involving our own MO TAYLOR and Othella Harrington, both highly respected on this board! The guy can score! And block shots.... I think I've heard he can shoot from outside too. Maybe Wallace could be a Rodney Rogers type inside-outside guy for us on the bench? With both Wallace and Mobley coming off the bench, we would be guaranteed to win in bench scoring every night (we probably will be anyway, but it's still always nice to have more than one option off the bench for match up purposes). I like Los' boards and hustle, but he wants to bolt anyway, and KT, Cato, and Collier could take his limited minutes this year. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Oatdog (edited October 31, 2000).]

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Yes, Jamison is good. Wallace has not played many minutes in the NBA and for good reason. Don't get me wrong here, Wallace is a capable player, but he is not the versatile, well-rounded player Jamison is becoming.

Without getting into too many specifics, Jamison can do much more than Wallace on the offensive end. Wallace is not adept at facing up and hitting a "J" either, where Jamison is developing that into a consistent shot. Wallace has potential to be a better rebounder and defender, IMO, but seems to flounder a little playing post defense.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

3. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

4. DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@

Wallace brings instant offence off the bench with no defence. Jamison is a versatile player who is improving his weaknesses (ie D), and a Franchise player.

You could say Wallace is a poor man's Jamison, but thats about it. In 5 years, comparing the two will be similar to comparing Elden Campbell to Dream (like someone did awhile ago)

------------------
    This message has been brought to you by:

DocRiverPhoenixSunScreen@