1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWS] Explosions near Boston Marathon Finish Line (UPDATE: MIT/Watertown shootout w/ suspects)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Miranda warnings can be given anytime prior to questioning. Basically it allows any statements made by a defendant admissible in court. If they don't advise him of his rights, any information he gives before that might be deemed inadmissible. I highly doubt the guy was in a state where he could understand and acknowledge his rights at the time of his being taken into custody. He will be advised of his rights before they start questioning i would suspect. I have been riding with a sheriff friend of mine many times and seen him arrest several people. Some of those times the person wasn't advised of their rights until we got to the jail, but no questioning or information was gathered until after that time anyway. I can honestly say I never saw him giving the Miranda while cuffing someone. That is a TV thing and like a lot of the stuff in some of the cop shows, it's played up to make the show more entertaining.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I don't do drugs, but I do enjoy the herb quite a bit. It calms me on nights like this when I want to go into a rage over this stuff. This, to me, was one long, depressing week. Watching the Branch Davidian Compound show on the History Channel last night didn't help matters.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Sympathies.

I think we can all agree this was a terrible week, and that it's great the guy was caught.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

This piece of s*** purposely placed a bomb next to an 8-year old child. I'm all for due process, but I hope he rots in hell.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Regarding Miranda rights, apparently there is a new terrorism provision where they do not need to mirandize someone if there is a possibility that the person may know something about an impending attack or if someone might be in danger or some kinda business like that.

6. platypus

platypus Member

Reddit appointed interrogator, this dude's stare makes me **** bricks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Major

Major Member

Miranda rights only ensure that what he says is admissible. If they don't feel they need to use anything he says to convict him, then Miranda is irrelevant.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Idiot:

1) I am not American
    2) What the hell are you talking about? Racist? Discriminatory?
    3) GTFO

Glad this guy got caught. I hope he survives and if there are any other accomplices, he helps the police track them down.

1 person likes this.
  9. torocan

torocan Member

This.

The Miranda decision is specific to using self-incriminating testimony to convict a person without the benefit of counsel.

Not Mirandizing someone does not affect the integrity of the judicial process if there is sufficient evidence from other sources to already secure a conviction (like engaging in a gun battle, being placed at the scene, finding evidence of bomb making materials on the corpse of your brother, etc).

In this case they are exercising the Public Safety exception in choosing to Not Mirandize the suspect. The reason that Law Enforcement would do this is not in order to extract a confession, but in order to have the benefit of interrogating the Suspect without counsel in order to ascertain whether there are unexploded bombs or accomplices that they need to locate and pursue.

The idea behind the Public Safety exception is to address the ticking time bomb scenario. You have a risk to public safety on a fixed time limit, and you want the advantage of interrogating the suspect without the benefit of counsel. You can choose to do this, though it can in theory reduce the chances of you getting a conviction, however if you have sufficient evidence to convict or there is a sufficient threat to public safety, then the best choice is to do your best to extract that information even if that means denying them counsel.

This is the perfect scenario to use the Public Safety exception, a literal example of the "ticking time bomb" situation. The public may be at risk due to unexploded ordinance or accomplices that could be seeking to attack other people, so you deny access to counsel in order to create the best possible circumstances for interrogation.

1 person likes this.
  10. torocan

torocan Member

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wtf....
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dreams really do come true, last night I dreamt I was eating a cheeseburger and in the afternoon today, guess what I was eating...</p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/322554643215429632">April 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/troycrossley">troycrossley</a> lets not get ahead of ourselves now Troy, it's a good show but breaking bad we can relate to a little bit more, I like meth</p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/323230431082332160">April 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>And here I thought nemo's dad was about to get it with dory but apparently this man turned into a female <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23thatscray">#thatscray</a></p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/323250941048545280">April 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

A bunch of this dudes friends are like drug dealers and gangster looking people. Weird he would fit the profile of an islamic extremist.

12. Zion

Zion Member

A teenager with a gun and a couple of homemade bombs shutdown a city for an entire day. You think every attention seeking nut job and terrorist is not taking notes right now.

I am surprised a lot more people are not disturbed by this.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks CF for all the updates, tweets, links, so on and so forth! KingCheetah, Basso, & Bob Marley, among many others, thanks.

Moving on...

Good for Boston, good for the state. They can at least start trying to move forward from this.

Salute to Boston PD, Massachusetts state police, the FBI, SWAT, first responders & any other law enforcement officials not mentioned.

Great job by the homeowner who alerted police and ultimately led to capture. A hero or a hero?

Can't forget about Officer Sean Collier, Martin Richard, Lingzi Lu, & Krystle Campbell -- all who lost their lives because of senseless actions by these two individuals. Thoughts & prayers with the Collier, Richard, Lu, and Campbell families during this time. May all four rest in peace.

Also can't forget about those injured in the bombings. Lost limbs and no telling what kind of other traumatic injuries suffered. Thoughts & prayers with those affected and their families. While many, sadly, won't make a full recovery, here's to hoping they all bounce back strong and can move forward. It won't be easy, it will take time but I believe.

No, I'm not from Boston, nor did I have anyone affected by this terrible tragedy, but it's the least I can say/do. Stay strong Boston!

To you {and yours}, be well, be safe, and take care. Cheers!

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Just curious J.R., what do you do in real life? Your profession. :p

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I really don't like twitter but just checked his twitter page out. Seems like a normal kid in some respects...
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Gain knowledge, get women, acquire currency <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23livestrong">#livestrong</a></p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/322143347143741440">April 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I really don't like it when I have one ear pressed against the pillow and I start to hear my heart beat, who can sleep with all that noise</p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/320710919577559041">April 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Walking dead then Vikings and maybe some homework</p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/315999561229418496">March 25, 2013</a></blockquote>

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

and then you have crap like this that explains a lot...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>"September 10th baby, you know what tomorrow is. Party at my house!" <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23thingsyoudontyellwhenenteringaroom">#thingsyoudontyellwhenenteringaroom</a></p>&mdash; Jahar (@J_tsar) <a href="https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/312338872128389120">March 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

17. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Gato loco

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think he was a meth head. He looks like he's on meth in half of the recent photos he's in including the marathon one.

19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Dude is clearly celebrating his citizenship. ;)

Maybe bc I'm stoned but I this was ****ing funny.
    "I really don't like it when I have one ear pressed against the pillow and I start to hear my heart beat, who can sleep with all that noise"

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

fix'd