1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why In Hell Is Delfino Playing the PF Spot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

You can't, not beginning the 4th. This is a time tested failure. McHale brings that small line-up to start the 4th every game and we usually always get into early foul trouble because of it.

It isn't like this is the one time it didn't work.

I will even go further and say yes, we do usually score also in the early 4th.. But that early foul trouble seems to always come back to haunt us.. not a good trade off

2. sean joh

sean joh Member

and please let me know why he so enjoys putting Delfino on Pau Gasol and Marc Gasol?
    Gasol effect?

3. Realjad

It's just part of McHales set rotation. You got to accept it, he isn't going to change his set rotation based on the opposing players. Thats just the type of caoch he is. I just hate that particular part of his rotation beginning the 4th every game

4. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

putting 6'6 delfino on pau gasol when you had dmo on the bench along with asik was just utterly shocking thing to see as an nba fan.

5. conquistador#11

to spread the ocean, so moses can isolate to the hole?

6. carayip

carayip Member

This is not about matchup. McHale always goes small because he needs to find minutes for bench wings, especially Delfino. Can't play Harden and Parsons 40+ minutes and Delfino 30+ minutes without at least one of them being out of position for some time. Why need those minutes distribution? Because those three guys are the ones he trust the most in this roster and he's afraid of upsetting them for not enough minutes.

7. haydenfisher342

Morey has said publicly that Houston scores better, and is more efficient when playing small ball, i.e Delfino playing the 4.

What Mchales cant understand is that, you do that when the team doesnt have HOWARD AND FREAKING GASOL IN THE LINEUP!

8. dxdx

dxdx Member

Exceptionally dumb mistake.

9. pacmania

pacmania Member

In the scientific method of solving a problem the first step is always to recognize what the problem is. Mchale has never acknowledged any coaching mistakes and so he still remains clueless as to solving the problem.

The sooner the rockets organization recognize the weakest link on this team and gets rid of it only then will the rockets team become stronger.

10. ahhh

ahhh Member

I don't understand how anyone can say it's the coaching that allowed us to overachieve this season. We have 3 MIP candidates in the starting lineup, we are better than our records. Someone *****ed it up, and never acknowledged it, and instead continues to put the blame on youth/not good enough players/over reliance on our star.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

It doesn't really make any sense for the Rockets to roll out a small lineup against teams with traditional players at the PF and C positions like the Lakers last night and the game against the Wizards in Washington. The costs outweigh the benefits. It may have something to do with Miami and their "positionless" lineups, but the Heat can afford to put any lineup they want out there when you have the elite level talent that they do. Houston doesn't have that luxury.

12. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

McHale got the nudge from Stern. The game wasn't close enough for the officials to tip it the right way, so he helped.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

So the same crap i have been complaining about all season comes back to bite us in the ass at the worst possible time. I can guarantee you mchale will pull this crap again against okc and durant and westbroom will be running wild with noone protecting our inside.

Small ball is for small minded people. Gasol absolutely killled us. Any half decent pf killed us everytime because of this stupid effing infatuation with delfino at the 4. When was the last time we stopped a big from running wild on us? Unbelievable that ppl still think this bs works in the long run.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Nice bump. McHale is looking to find his "Larry Bird." Keep trying.

15. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Last night was a case where you really missed PPat. Needed somebody capable of banging down low with Gasol while still providing the outside option.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I could almost believe that if I wasn't sure McHale got out coached.

I mean, this is the man's second major Head Coaching job and for all the talk of the youth and inexperience of the team the signs are there. Over reliance on your star player, repetitive plays (Harden inbounding and getting the ball back, JVG called that both times you think the Lakers coaching staff wouldn't?) and playing a lineup that was at a disadvantage (Delfino, Garcia and Parsons on the court at the same time) to what was on the court when you had the lead at that point.

17. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Member

All the other starters averaged 44 minutes.

Lin played 34. :rolleyes:

18. Realjad

Like I said, I love that line-up.. We do outscore our opponents but we also draw
    Alot of fouls down low. That small lineup is great in the second or 3rd or even mid 4th

However, what in trying to say is getting into that early foul trouble in the 4th isn't a good trade off as because of it we get into the team penalty situation earlier and making any other fouls instant free throws.

In the 2nd and 3rd the trade off is worth it but in the 4th conserve those fouls

19. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

stubborn coach is what i see. he believes his small ball plan.

20. pacmania

pacmania Member

What we should do with Mchale's small ball: shine it up real nice turn that sumbitch sideways and stick it up Mchale's candy ass.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hVMiksEenaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>