1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

Beverly? The guy who missed harden wide open on a 3? Made a poor pass in transition? Was fouling everybody out there on the court. Lin was poor in the 4th but beverly wasn't the answer at all.

2. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

No, McHale should have brought Lin back at 11:30 left when he subbed out Harden. Bev could come in at 8 or 7 min mark if Lin didn't do well. Instead, he decided to ride on a no Hardne/Lin line up (with Delfino at 4 :eek: on Gasol) for 3 min which cost us the lead.

3. Ethernet

Ethernet Member

People are making Beverly seem like the rockets' savior. Newsflash: he's nothing more than a backup PG, with much less talent and potential than Lin.

The guy was 2-5 with 6 points and 3 fouls with only 2 assists in 20 minutes. "OMG if beverly were in, we'd win, OMG." No, just no.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Beverly did foul a lot but he had some momentum shift plays before he was taken out. It was odd and bad timing when he finally decided to bring Lin back in.

5. brick

brick Member

The 10+ mins beverly played starting mid 3rd quarter was the time Rockets went from leading 10pts to losing, just telling the fact.

6. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Beverly fouls like a maniac and people are calling it great defense...if you're averaging 2 fouls for every .9 steals you get, newsflash, that sucks.

7. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

I would, for the short-term, but not for the distance - if he rides the secretariat in Lin/Harden, both will be injured before the all-star break.

I'm hoping JVG/Phil could fill the spot next year - the worst possible scenario would be, if the Rockets get not so far in the playoffs, but far enough for the front office to keep McHale...

8. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

Chandler Parsons wasnt lying when he said we dont have any set plays. 3 time outs, 3 isolation plays with harden.

Howard and Gasol were killing is on the boards yet we dont see dmo at all. He puts 6'7 carlos delfino on gasol. Dmo would have been perfect tonight to draw out gasol yet he doesnt get a sniff.

Where's james anderson?

For a smart, progressive, in the know "hip" franchise like the rockets who are being steered by a sabre metrics/analytics GM, its amazing how stupid Mchale's substitution patterns are. I mean wtf? Lin starts off great is running the offense well then he gets benched for almost an entire quarter. The offense starts to sputter and the lead dwindles. Then beverly finally starts making things happen and now he takes him out and puts back a frozen cold Lin and taking out a suddenly hot and active beverly.

The timeouts, my god. Why is Mchale trying to pull a phil jackson on the youngest and least experienced team in the nba?

Am i the only one seeing this? He takes forever to call a timeout to stop the rising momentum of the team. By the time he calls a timeout, the lead is almost gone.

This is what happens with old school coaches. They think with their gut instead of their head.

He's a great guy from all accounts, a hall of fame player, and im so sad and sorry that he lost his daughter but its official,

Kevin Mchale has now entered Gary Kubiak Status.

9. haydenfisher342

do you count in "opponent turnovers, or milking the shot clock? Or preventing the PG to set up quickly and efficantly?" all very important factors. He may not get steals, but hes not a liability on the court thats for damn sure

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

WHat momentum shifting play? He had the one strong drive that I remember. He was hitting 3's worse than Lin. He had a poor pass to Harden in transition, missed him on a wide open 3 in the possession just before that, showed a lack fo awareness that led to the Jamison put back. Who was it that put the Rockets into foul truble so early in the 4th? Was it Beverly or Greg? Like I am confused what momentum shifting plays? Not saying Lin was great, never seen him play that bad in my life but Beverly wasn't the answer.

11. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Which plays are you talking about? are you talking about that 1 drive to the basket? I'd hardly call that shifting the momentum after the Rockets had quickly lost their biggest lead with him on the court.

12. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said earlier the biggest McHale failure this game and when Rox lost momentum was when he went to the small lineup with Delfino trying to check Gasol. My biggest problem with Lin sub was the timing of it.

13. pnr

pnr Member

I do not for the life of me understand why he didn't stagger Lin and Harden's minnutes for this damn game. This must win game. Lin should have been brought in with Chandler and Bev while Harden took his breather at the start of the 4th and tried to make something happen. That lineup has worked before and actually gotten us back in the lead in previous games. SMH.

14. pnr

pnr Member

Also, damn small ball. Isn't that what caused the losing streak at the end of last season too? Does he ever learn?

15. Remix02

Remix02 Member

What's sadly funny is that on one of the late timeouts, ESPN showed McHale drawing on the clipboard. No he wasn't drawing up a play, he was just telling them how to inbound the ball. Of course they ran a Harden iso. smh

16. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Buddy, I've been asking the same question since December...staggering the both of them has shown to have the best results, and for the life of me, I can't understand why McFail isn't using this rotational tactic...I guess I just am too stupid and lack high level BBall knowledge to be able to understand McFail's genius.

17. gate470

gate470 Rookie

This. Do people watch the game? Seriously.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

19. yunac010

yunac010 Member

McHale should have gone with a Bev/Lin backcourt against the Lakers bench.