1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Lakers 4/17/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 16, 2013.

1. koalaznbear

koalaznbear Member

We will have a good sense of how the Utah game is going by the time we begin our game and the outcome will be known by half time. That will dictate who we play and who we rest.

2. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Ken Mauer is refereeing the game tonight. He's not as bad as Joey Crawford, but he's pretty terrible.

3. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Big game tonight. Lin'd better be prepared!!!

"Steve Blake needs to keep Jeremy Lin struggling against Lakers
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...eremy-lin-struggling-20130416,0,6897044.story

By Eric Pincus

April 17, 2013, 8:00 a.m.

How do the Lakers (44-37) match up at the point guard position Wednesday night when they host the Houston Rockets (45-36) -- in a game that could determine if the Lakers finish in seventh, eighth or ninth place?

Point Guard -- Probable Starters: Steve Blake vs. Jeremy Lin

Steve Nash won't play against the Rockets as he tries to recover from injury (nerve irritation, hamstring, etc.), which once again means Steve Blake will get the start at point guard against Houston's Jeremy Lin.

Blake is a better defender than Nash (and any of the other Lakers reserves). Lin can be an explosive scorer but hasn't fared well against the Lakers so far this season.

Without missing a game all year, Lin is averaging 13.4 points, 6.0 assists and 1.7 steals. In three appearances against the Lakers he averaged just 9.3 points. His season shooting percentages dipped from 44.4% from the field and 34.0% from the arc to 36.7% and 25%, respectively. He even struggled from the line at 57.1%.

Blake has averaged 6.9 points and 3.8 assists a game for the Lakers through 44 appearances while shooting 44.2% from the field and 42.8% from three. Sidelined with an abdominal injury earlier in the season, Blake has yet to play against the Rockets.

Over the last seven starts (in place of Nash), Blake has averaged 11 points and 3.6 assists while shooting 46.6% from the field and 42.9% from three-point range.

If Blake can near the 23 points he scored on Sunday in the Lakers' 91-86 victory over the San Antonio Spurs, the Lakers may get the better of the matchup.

Bench: Darius Morris, Chris Duhon vs. Patrick Beverley, Aaron Brooks

Kobe Bryant played backup point guard behind Blake until his Achilles' tear. Coach Mike D'Antoni is likely to alternate between Darius Morris and Chris Duhon. Morris is the better defender but can play out of control. Duhon is steadier as a playmaker but offers little resistance defensively.

Neither is much of a scoring threat. Morris is averaging 4.0 points a game on 38.2% shooting from the field and 35.4% from three. Duhon is at 2.9 points on 38.2% and 36.3%, respectively.

Patrick Beverley is Lin's primary backup, averaging 5.5 points on 41.8% shooting from the field and 38.3% from three. Aaron Brooks isn't part of the regular rotation and while he has a history as a shot-maker against the Lakers -- he may not hit the floor.

Neither team has an especially explosive bench at the point."

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Its simple: WIN v. LAL + GSW Loss = 6th (likely at DEN) WIN v. LAL + GSW Win = 7th (at Spurs)LOSS v. LAL = 8th (at OKC)</p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/324549905957928962">April 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

This is the first playoff game right here.

6. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

whoops heres the photo, you can't tell me this shiet isnt funny:

[​IMG]

7. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

It will be intense!

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets outplay the Lakers - refs will still be complained about
    Rockets barely beat Lakers - refs will still be complained about
    Rockets barely lose to Lakers - refs will still be complained about
    Rockets get outplayed by the Lakers - refs will still be complained about

There is no escaping the fundamental truth that the refs will be the reason for the games outcome in the eyes of many

9. Kid Canada

Kid Canada Member

Just realized aaron brooks is the second highest rated player in NBA 2k13 on Houston

Behind Harden obviously

10. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Lin will do better than Blake. But if Lin is caught cheating off his man (Blake), Blake can hit those 3s.

11. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

You think so? When I was watching Sportscenter they were acting like the Lakers are the underdog tonight. They said they we're great at running and hitting threes while the Lakers were unathletic and slow (or something like that) so they would have to play a great game to beat us. Also said Lin and Harden were two of the fastest players in the NBA. Legler said that Gasol and Howard will get theirs but they need good games from Blake, Artest, etc. if they're going to win.

It seems like everyone was thinking the Rockets are the superior team, and I was surprised.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah I hate how they don't update the rankings throughout the season unless it's some obvious reason like Harden.

I like to use the actual rotations we have regardless of the rankings, so Brooks never sees the court with me

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Guys...I've already won just knowing this.

I hope the Jazz win though, only because I want the pressure on and I want a great game. I want a game that has that playoff intensity and if the Jazz lose then it's going to be like "Well whatever now..."

and some say that D'antoni will rest guys if the Jazz lose so it may not even be much of a game then.

14. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

REPPED

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I keep hearing the Media say the lakers are beating us tnoight.

Hell even some fans here think so.

**** that. This is a statement game. The game that could change the destiny of both franchises for the next summer. We win and show Howard who he'll have to deal with if he stays in LA.

The team proves to themselves that they can beat a hungry veteran team. On the road.

Beat LA. Beat those **** like we did in round 2 4 years ago.

16. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

If Tjones gets 5 blocks again with the Lakers frontcourt, I will be doing backflips

17. instar

instar Member

We are def underdog. the only Western playoff team we beat on the road is Warriors.

18. Sen89

Sen89 Member

We better come to play tonight. Have a few bets on it.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This Rockets team will trash the Lakers with lots of running and 3 pointers.

We will be extra motivated and when we are motivated we do well

Start making travel plans to San Antonio.