1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ban me for a week when I get one wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Hi Clutchfans,

I just came back from my one-week ban (it was self-imposed as a promise to myself, so I don't know if mods actually banned me or not).

The streak lasted 10 games, from 3/17 vs GS to 4/5 vs Portland. It made no logical sense and was doomed from the beginning. Yet because I stuck with it, it was the most fun and memorable thread I made on Clutchfans over my 10 years of being here. It was definitely worth it.

As the OP, I learned something about social media and life in general, and I want to share with those of you who care. And for those who prefer to be cynical and sarcastic, trust me, I know and study rejections, and you really can't bother me here. :)

Here are my learnings:

1. Be grateful to everyone. Just like in life, no matter what you do, how successful you become, and how innocent your intention is, there will be supporters, detractors, and challengers. There will be those who are kind to you, and those who are mean to you. Be thankful to all, because everyone in a way contributed to the journey and magic.

2. Keep your promises. It is important that you carry out your words to both your family/friends and online anonymous strangers. Keeping promises might or might not be good, but not keeping promises is never good.

3. Test out your instinct and don't be afraid to seem a little weird. If we all stick with the norm (whether it's an online community or society in general), and do what others expect of us, life would be so boring. YOU would be so boring.

4. Take what you do seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously. This way, what you do becomes meaningful, but you aren't bothered by others' opinions.

5. Learn and reflect from whatever happens. If I could learn everything above from a weird and nonsensical BBS thread, you can learn many things from whatever happens in your lives too.

2 people like this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We can't get one final prediction for the Laker game can we? ;)

3. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Welcome back DeAleck! As you said, don't worry about those smart aleck cynics out there. It's all good and fun and you've definitely made it even more interesting and enjoyable for us as Rockets' fans. And that was a good run, no matter what anyone says. Good to see you back.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

DeAleck: great post. Glad to see you are back. Whether you predict or not, it's fun to have someone around like yourself who is willing to test a gut instinct and stand by it til the end. Whether you predict any games in the future or not, welcome back.

5. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Jazz lose

Rox win

Post your prediction.

7. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Beat LA Beat me to it. :)

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Thanks, OP... great post.

Who's going to win the Lakers and the Jazz game?

9. lola eskuala

lola eskuala Member

glad to see you back dealeck..

you are an asset to this board..

now predict!..

else, be a drama queen;):p:grin::grin::grin::grin:

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

If there is a place to use the words "I hate my guts", this game would be it. :(

By the way, I believe this thread has served its purpose since my streak ended, and I don't want it to be about me anymore. Next season, I will start a new game prediction thread so everyone can test their guts.

11. rocketsmetalspd

Rockets Win

Jazz Win

Warriors lose

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Rockets win

Jazz win

Warriors win

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Let me counter that gut with my own gut feel. I made predictions in some other thread as well and had a good streak going with one of the teams.

Anyhow, i'm calling a Rockets win tonight.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to lie. Bad gut feeling about this. I'll be the new prophet you have been seeking CF, since the false wolf in sheep's clothing has been exposed.

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I used to nail 15 consecutive correct predictions in another sport in my college days... Life is strange sometimes.

I don't make predictions anymore, but I think we usually play better against better teams on a non-b2b night. If Harden's not bothered by his injury, we have a better chance of beating LA than beating Suns last game. That's what I expected before the Suns game anyway.

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

You know a board wise prediction thread may not be a bad idea, especially considering how fun this one turned out to be.

perhaps we could have some basic rules, like, you can't post predictions to the thread for a week if you miss one, you have to predict before the game starts, and the like.

Then anytime someone gets on a streak it would be a fun deal for the board, and you could have multiple streaks all going on at the same time.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm hoping the Jazz win so our young Rockets can play in a do or die game. I want these guys to know what it feels like to dismiss an opponent from the season.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

how about every 10 games everyone puts in their predictions for the next upcoming 10 games

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

No, I like a rolling constantly aggregating and falling away sort of thread, where only those who have not made a missed prediction recently get to post and the goal is not to beat others but to stay alive and continue being able to post.

20. bonny1

bonny1 Member

I felt the same way. But I'll be watching and cheering.