1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] James Harden, Jeremy Lin after Rockets beat Kings (funny stuff)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 14, 2013.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

James and Jeremy both responded to the guy graciously. Good on them.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder what Kevin McHale would have done in their place...

3. Fighton

Fighton Member

i think there's a running joke between lin and bev where bev never gets interviewed and lin is interviewed all the time... he's probably asked by bev (jokingly) to mention his name in interviews. the fact they sit next to each other makes it funnier.

4. Fighton

Fighton Member

hahahaha... very well said.

5. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Asik's ballerina shots always remind me of "Handsome Squidward" from Spongebob

[​IMG]

6. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

Haha. I love Coach McHale but something tells me he'd probably be a little less patient...unless, I guess, he was in a really good mood, which I think he was after last night's game....

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Kido? Nice assumption on your part. I'm a parent myself....also a marriage/family therapist specializing in cross cultural so I think I've got more to say on the matter than most do.

If you understood the 2nd gen minority conflict you'd understand embarrassment is a normal part of growing up bicultural.

You ever try living in another culture as different as the east for an extended period of time enough to actually raise kids there?

Do some research or talk to a few people before talking out of your a$$ and judging another persons assessment.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lol Even Jeremy annoyed by the asian reporter

9. howo13579

howo13579 Member

AggNRox might've overreacted. But that doesn't excuse you of mocking attitute toward the guy. Tell us what exactly you're embarrassed of? I've been to many coutries and they only respect you more when you speak their languages even it's broken and awekard, not look down upon. Now I understand 2nd gen kids would want to fit in with peers and not want to show their parents are different. You're an adult and even a family therapist. You still feel embarrassed for that reporter when it has nothing to do with 2nd gen of whatever in this country?

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

why can't these guys get their sh#t together? Why can't they be professionals?

11. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

He would've torn him into pieces.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

married with kid? i guess your kid will be embarrassed about his/her skin color. what do you expect him/her to say about his/her skin?

no matter what, this is not an excuse for you to disrepect your parent based on their accent. your parents did everything they could to bring you up. you should be proud of your parents. you should feel embarrassed on what you said and what you behaved, not other ppl accent. life is tough to everyone. don't assume everyone life is easier than yours just because you're the 2nd gen of an immigrant (assume your parents came from china). there are a lot 2nd generations who are proud of their cultures.

13. bbsuser

bbsuser Member

This!

14. GIGO

GIGO Member

Let's applaud your memory canvas. lolololololol

15. ada32

ada32 Member

Bench him on the last quarter!:grin:;):grin:

16. Rox>Mavs

Great question and props for asking before making a judgment.

1) I'd say the biggest reason what's called transference. If you know much about Asian culture, it's highly authoritarian. Parents never stop being parents, even of their adult kids. As a 2nd gen in western culture, this creates a real problem since autonomy, independence, individual uniqueness and creativity are valued more than in eastern cultures. As a result, 2nd gen kids grow into adults resenting the oppression of their parents without many ways to set boundaries. Try explaining to your parents that you are your child's parent and have the final say in their parenting. It's a lot of fun....

Anyway, resentment unprocessed or unresolved with parents translates to the larger culture that cultivates the 1st gen value system. Therefore, when I walk down the streets of Xian, China I get 20 Chinese people telling me that I need to put a hat on my kid or rub her head with rubbing alcohol, I get more pissed off than I normally would. I get this too if I walk into my local Chinese church.

Therefore, embarrassment stems from a stark value difference in cultures and the unresolved resentment that the 1st gen will tend not to even accept that there are differences in values. FYI, I've had these conflicts with my own parents and they've adjusted their values to at least accept that I'm going to be and do things different. I can't say the same for my wife's parents, or that of the general 1st gen culture. So when I see what represents 1st gen values, I and other 2nd gens will tend to transfer unresolved boundaries into a generalized lack of patience or embarrassment with the culture that feels oppressive to us.

2) Embarrassment can also come from an anxiety that the 1st gen culture is unavoidably part of who the 2nd gen is and that "part" has caused social problems for the 2nd gen. Ever see Harold's character from Harold and kumar? Harold represents the 2nd gen who is completely assimilated into American culture but carries the passiveness of his parents culture. Difficulty we face adjusting into this world creates an anger or embarrassment with ones self and as a result when it is seen so undeniably in the 1st gen, the embarrassment is a representation of oneself.

Cultural dissonance is part of life. My wife and I have been to China many times in order to work on the marriage/family problem there. We have to also think though that raising our daughter in a foreign environment to her is going to create issues for her, as it has created issues for me and other 2nd gens. However what we hope to do different is to teach our daughter to process through the anxiety and normalize the differences. She might grow up being embarrassed of us for being culturally awkward there, but as a parent I can be okay with that because 1) it's my decision to enter into a different culture 2) what kid isn't embarrassed of their parents at some point 3) my job as a parent is to identify the value differences between cultures and help her formulate values for herself that she can feel proud of and hopefully know why I have my values.

In summary, everyone's got unresolved parent issues. Eastern culture systemically (due to its authoritarian nature) makes it difficult to resolve for most 2nd gens. How do we then resolve it? By talking about it and normalizing it. What doesn't work to resolve and normalize it? When a 2nd gen tries to share what they think and feel about their parent culture and then being told "shame on you" for feeling and thinking to way you do. Good job :rolleyes:

Just saying, things like that make the problem worse, but hey that's why I have secure career for the foreseeable future.

17. Sesshoumara

Sesshoumara Member

It's funny that the reporter made a big commotion of adding another question at the end of the Lin interview without realizing that the question was already asked. It could have happened to any reporter that wasn't paying attention so it's not cool to think that the guy's accent had something to do with it.

18. Rox>Mavs

Sure there are 2nd gens who feel differently, but have you read the research out there on this issue? Have you done research yourself into the issue? Have you done 7 years of counseling work on the population? Stats and research don't lie man....

Listen, you obviously have a very tertiary understanding of the issues at play and therefore make assumptions on that limited understanding. Put a few years of study and research into this issue and then we'll talk. For now I'll just agree to disagree with you and accept your pov comes from an understandably limited place (not many people spend the time to think about or address these issue).

19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

This guy needs to replace Howard Chen and just interrupt the broadcast with random questions:grin:

20. Rox>Mavs

Sure there are 2nd gens who feel differently, but have you read the research out there on this issue? Have you done research yourself into the issue? Have you done 7 years of counseling work on the population? Stats and research don't lie man....

Listen, you obviously have a very tertiary understanding of the issues at play and therefore make assumptions on that limited understanding. Put a few years of study and research into this issue and then we'll talk. For now I'll just agree to disagree with you and accept your pov comes from an understandably limited place (not many people spend the time to think about or address these issue).