1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

INJURY: Kobe Bryant tears his Achilles!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dmenacela, Apr 13, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This is what I thought to, except he made 2 FT's then walked off the court under his own power. Usually when you tear an achilles, you can't put any weight on it and need to be helped off. I'm no doctor, but I didn't think you could walk at all on a torn achilles. I don't mean to pile on, because although I make no secret of my dislike for Kobe and his stans, I still don't wish injury on him. Skeptical of another Hollywood drama queen stunt like MWP coming back 12 days after 'surgery'.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

you just cant use your calf muscle..

he was dragging that leg around with his upper leg muscles

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Kobe only second to MJ as a 2 guard. One of the greatest of all time. Top 5 for sure.
    I never liked him as a person,but he has always fought hard and played with great skill.
    Hope that this isn't the last of him on an NBA court.

1 person likes this.
  4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This made me spit up my drink laughing. #cholonation #bewell

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Hes gonna be out for a long time.. its impossible.

6. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

An injury could happen to any player, at any time during a game, in practice, or even off the court. Makes no difference whether he played 45 minutes or 10 minutes. It's just that the more minutes he plays, the more likely the chance to suffer a random injury, because he's out there longer.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's an achilles tear people...a major injury, but no doubt he will be back. This isnt career threatening. Maybe for a guy that is a borderline NBA player, but not for Kobe...not even close.

8. lakerfan

lakerfan Member

Kobe knew he had torn his Achilles as he was laying on the floor in agony. He walked to the free throw line and sunk two free throws to tie the game on a torn Achilles. His final points this season just tells you who Kobe Bryant is right there.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If he is out all of next year, I can see a compelling argument for amnesty'ing him.

His contract expires at the end of the year and it would cost 85 million dollars in tax penalties just to have him "on the roster" but not playing.

10. SunsRocketsfan

Rockets steal Dwight from the Lakers.. Lakers amnesty Kobe to start rebuilding.. Rockets pick up kobe for cheap ..

Harden, Dwight, Kobe, Lin, Parsons

haha i know a lot of people hate kobe but you would all love him if he was on our team.. the guy is a beast and warrior.. even if he comes back and he's 80% of himself he's still better than 90% of the players in the league..

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You can dislike Kobe but you sure as hell have to respect the guy. D'Antoni sucks.

12. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

d'antoni has got to be one of the most overrated coaches. he sucked with denver, got lucky with the suns, and sucked with the knicks. any team coached under him will never win a championship. he took a stupid risk in letting kobe play whatever minutes he wanted and it backfired on him. like him or not, kobe will go down as one of the greats and it would really suck to see him go out like that....but knowing how tough he is, he'll be back...hopefully d'antoni won't though.

13. clippy

clippy Member

Suns. prob. would have won the title in '07 (I think) when they got completely screwed over by the Horry fight instigation that suspended a bunch of their guys in a pivotal Spurs game. The Spurs played the Cavs in the Finals that year.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

From LakersGround: (on a related note, do you think anyone actually prays for the person when they 'send prayers', or is that just a saying? How does that work?)

@kobebryant: Random tears of devastation and doubt mixed with inner determination and will #countonfamily #countonprayer THANKU #vicodintweets comin ha!

@KingJames: Damn man i feel bad for @kobebryant . If there's anybody and i mean anybody who can come back from that injury it would be him! Best wishes!

@MettaWorldPeace: Kobe will be back stronger!!!
    I'm looking forward to it!!
    He is such a workaholic. From rehab to on the court work.
    So focused!!!
    #Mamba

Tony Allen ‏@aa000G9
    Get Well BIG Homie!!! @kobebryant

Darius Morris ‏@dariusmorris4
    Everybody pray for my brother @kobebryant

Mo Williams ‏@mowilliams
    Much respect for @kobebryant. Never want to see that happen to nobody especially in a race we have

DeAndre Jordan ‏@deandrejordan
    Damn man, never want to see that happen...ever. But @kobebryant is a strong dude, wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery brother!

Jamal Crawford ‏@JCrossover
    Prayers up for @kobebryant , one of the best we've ever seen... #respect

Matt Barnes ‏@Matt_Barnes22
    Thoughts & prayers go out to the big homey #Kobe.. Shame they ran him into the ground.. #Damn

Jordan Craig Hill ‏@jordanchill43
    Get better bean...we got u!

Chris Paul ‏@CP3
    Prayers out to my man @kobebryant. Hoping for a speedy recovery and there is absolutely no doubt he'll be back strong!

DeMar DeRozan ‏@DeMar_DeRozan
    Damn I'll hate to see Kobe go out like that!

JALEN ROSE ‏@JalenRose
    Terrible that Kobe got injured. The game will really miss a Giant. If anyone can respond, I believe its him. True Story. #NBA

Flea ‏@flea333
    damnit i love kobe

Robert Woods ‏@robertwoods Dang sad news about Kobe, he'll be alright. His mindset is too tough

Willie Green ‏@DetroitWillie34
    My thoughts and prayers go out to @kobebryant!!! Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Robert Griffin III ‏@RGIII
    Just watched @kobebryant press conference & I could feel the pain in his voice & know the feeling of pain in his heart

Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25
    Prayers out to @kobebryant hope u heal well Thank you for all the amazing years of service. #Lakers #HOF

J. Woodfin ‏@JfromCompton
    This is one of those moments that you will always #RememberWhereYouWereWhen Kobe tore his achilles tendon! Efff word!

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
    Bummed about Kobe. League is less fun than it was 3 hours ago. Hope he comes back 100%. PS: no way Phil Jackson plays him 47 mins a night.

Bryon Russell ‏@BRuss3
    KB tore Achilles cuss D'AntoniD'Antoni wouldn't rest him!!! A good coach Phil or Sloan would've rested him!!! 17yr vet playin to many mins

Jarrod N Rudolph ‏@JRudolphSports
    I can live with the @Lakers losing, but watching Kobe go down to injury sucks. It just doesn't seem fair. He's just given so much this year

Tyreke Evans ‏@TyrekeEvans
    I wish the best for u I never been a hater

Austin Rivers ‏@TeamRivers25
    Damn Man Kobe Can't Go Down Like This! He Gotta Finish On His Terms

Matt Leinart ‏@MattLeinartQB
    Just flat out bummed for @kobebryant. Ill tell you this he will be back with a vengeance #countonthat

Terrell Owens ‏@terrellowens
    Prayers for the homie @kobebryant!! God Bless!

Shane Horton ‏@shane_o23
    I guarantee no one has ever made free throws with a torn achilles before. You the man @kobebryant. #LakerFam praying for you. #Mamba

A.C. Green ‏@NBA_Ironman
    No one played harder or wanted it more than "24". I wish I had some to give for Laker Nation. Still Believing. #Lakers @kobebryant

15. Awesome

Awesome Member

Initially you can walk then you just completely lose all strength which is why he said he cant walk at all afterwards

16. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Actually if an achilles is only partially torn, you can't perform surgery on it and pretty much just have to wait for it to heal, which can take longer. If it's completely torn, then they can get in there repair it with surgery right away.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

#vicodintweets

hahah

18. clippy

clippy Member

I went there too to get my schadenfreude on. The tears are so luscious!!! But seriously, better keep the firearms away from some of those people (this 'Jeffs' guy comes to mind).

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Trevor Ariza @TrevorAriza 1 minute ago
    Praying for u big bro @Kobe Bryant

Stephen Curry @StephenCurry30 3 minutes ago
    Tough way to finish that game. Ill take Carl with the elbow jump shot any day of the week! Hate to see Kobe walk off like that hope he's ok

Draymond Green @Money23Green about 5 minutes ago
    Never want to see anyone go down with an injury... Praying for one of the games greatest @Kobe Bryant for a speedy recovery #respect

Harrison Barnes @HBarnes about 6 minutes ago
    Hate to see players go down.....prayers out to @Kobe Bryant for a big recovery and an even bigger return.

Damien Wilkins @dwilkins3000 about 25 minutes ago
    Oh don't worry, @Kobe Bryant WILL be back. Dat boy good!!

Anthony Morrow @MrAnthonyMorrow about 32 minutes ago
    Prayin for @Kobe Bryant

Pau Gasol @paugasol 2 minutes ago
    La lesión de @Kobe Bryant es un golpe muy duro. Ojalá su recuperación vaya muy bien. No dudo que volverá más fuerte que nunca. #Todosconvino

Harrison Barnes ‏@HBarnes
    Hate to see players go down.....prayers out to @kobebryant for a big recovery and an even bigger return.

Rob Lowe ‏@RobLowe
    @kobebryant carried an entire city on his back while quite a few stood around and did nothing but watch. By God, he tried. #Vino

Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25
    11:11 prayer for Kobe

Michael Wilbon ‏@RealMikeWilbon
    Difficult to think about watching basketball the next few days given the injury Kobe suffered tonight, him being out of the playoffs. So sad

elijah brown ‏@elijah_brown_4
    Kobe played like at least 46 minutes last 6 games. He's 34 years old with hundreds of thousands of minutes logged in his body....... Why

Matthew Barkley ‏@MattBarkley
    I feel for @kobebryant right now…

Khaled Holmes ‏@KhaledHolmes
    If @kobebryant really tore his Achilles that is some of the worst news in sports There's no on like #Mamba damn

Marcellus Wiley ‏@marcelluswiley
    #Mambaluv

Pau Gasol ‏@paugasol
    Tough moment because of @kobebryant injury. I wish him a great recovery. I have no doubt he'll come back stronger than ever. #prayforvino

STAPLES Center ‏@STAPLESCenter
    Thoughts & prayers going out to @kobebryant tonight! Get well soon #BlackMamba #Lakers pic.twitter.com/BuiYwdTmWS

Flea ‏@flea333
    He's supposed to manage his team RT “@MarkHeisler: MDA will hear about this every day but he didn't play Kobe heavy minutes. Kobe did

Lil Wayne WEEZY F ‏@LilTunechi
    The last of the golden era,where nothing mattered to the player but the game...sad sight.

Andre Iguodala ‏@andre
    Prayers up for my bro @kobebryant get well soon fam

Elliot Williams ‏@ewill901
    Man I hate to hear kobe tore his achilles..

Damion James ‏@KONJames10
    Damn! Kob hurt? Smh! I swear I'm like his #1 fan! I'm sad then a bishhhh!

Nicolas Batum ‏@nicolas88batum
    Just heard Kobe may have torn his achills. Hate to see one of the greatest hurt himself like that

Garrett Temple ‏@GTemp14
    Hate to see @kobebryant go down like that. Hope he can come back from it next year. #oneofthegreats #competitor

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS
    Nobody likes to see an icon give this interview. Kobe. On crutches. With tears. Season over. Video: http://youtu.be/Hs9esdFRlS0

Gary Payton ‏@GaryPayton_20
    Woke up to some very bad news that my lil brother and close friend kobe could have a partial torn Achilles I'm very sadden by this

Nick Lachey ‏@NickSLachey
    How does a man with a torn achilles carry his team to the win? crazy.....much props to @kobebryant for yet another superhuman performance!!

^^^ lol, dumbass nick lachey

Actual quote from 67ShelbyGT: 'For all the haters he has (espn), its good for him to see all the overwhelming pouring of love.'

These Kobe stans really believe ESPN HATES KOBE?????????

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So....Utah #8?