1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

POST UP & Kick? Stretch 4 or Postup 4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Comic Book Nerd, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Comic Book Nerd

Was reading this article on Grantland:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...trategy-forcing-coaches-rethink-their-offense

And the part of the article that dealt specifically with using the POST UP as a way to pull in defenders to they could then pass it back out really fascinated me.

So instead of your 1 or 2 driving/penetrating to collapse the defense and kicking out, you go back to an old school post up to draw in defenders so you can dish/swing/kick out!

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that we did that a bit more on the 2 games when Harden was out?

Should that make us consider whether we want a Stretch 4 or a Defensive/Post Up 4 for next year?

What would fit the Rockets better going forward?

I ask as I am really interested in hearing everyone's feedback here.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Both? Kevin Love and LMA are capable of both. You play the matchup: if its an athletic or hulking big you pull him out and force him to guard the three. If its a stiff/Steve Novak type, or a small guy on a team playing smallball, you pound it inside.

This is why the Rockets need to get a superstar PF.

3. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Starting to have dreams of a harden/love pick and roll. It would be too good to be true.

4. andersongo

andersongo Member

A post-up 4 will be obviously optimal as the latter will provide an offensive option that is sorely lacking at the moment. But i think the No 1 requirement for any prospective star PF is that he is elite in PNR situations. The Rockets have got two elite PNR ballhandlers but no elite big man that can roll and finish strongly. Hence the creative abilities of Lin and Harden are being underexploited, which is nuts when you think how creative they already are.

1 person likes this.
  5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I like a PF that can do both!

6. arjun

arjun Member

ideal PF for us should be able to do both, and grab rebounds + play D.

Yes, we need an allstar PF.

7. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

I agree. But right now none of our 4-5 fives are so good that they demand a double team down from a strong side or weak side defender to the free kick out. That why the Rockets have been using the dribble drive for kick out opportunities created by the guards.
    I wish we still had Yao with all these 3 point shooters.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

That sounds like everyones ideal PF.

9. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

who is the best Post up PFs we can look at?

Honestly this is something I am not too sure on this one....I also am curious who the best PNR PFs are.

I would think we would need an above average Post up Player and an elite PnR player.

I honestly cant tell you on the PnR now...id think J smith would be extremely good at this with his athleticism.

10. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Today's NBA is leaning toward big men that can do both. I think your PF or Center should compliment one another so in case of Asik, having a power forward that can play post is going to be necessary as Asik really isn't that great with the ball in his hands for long.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That sounds like prime KG.

12. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

What other PFs that can fit well with the Rockets are available during this off season besides Smith and Millsap?

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Sounds like Love now. Get er done Morey

14. PureElement

PureElement Member

Love sucks at defence. No thanks.