1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin with Rockets > Jeremy Lin with Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Apr 6, 2013.

1. mirus

mirus Member

what was his last yr?

2. wincan459

wincan459 Member

He is saying Lin needs to try becoming a Payton type defender. You are comparing Lin to Payton. There is a big difference there.

It would be great Lin become Payton like some day and it is possible too.

3. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Well, the Rockets record against the East is 21-9. The 70% winning ratio is tad below the Knicks and way better than Indiana. So 3rd seed with Harden/Lin in the East realistically.

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

You don't think teams scouted him after he dropped 38 on National Television against the Lakers? That was only like 4th game into Linsanity and by then, every PG wanted a piece of him. He had a 27 and 11 game and a 28 and 14 game not too long after the Lakers game and all the scouting reports were out by then.

After the infamous Miami game where "he was exposed," he had 19 and 13 the very next game and a 20 and 13 game the following week. I'd like to see other guards rack up those assist numbers with Tyson Chandler and Jared Jeffres as your sidekicks.

Look, I also think Lin is an above average guard right now, but if he can improve his handles, I think he can legitimately be an all-star caliber player. And I think he is already an upgrade over Dragic and Lowry.

1 person likes this.
  5. hltiki

hltiki Member

Indeed. And most ppl think that lin was putting up those numbers in the first 7 games, but as Geronimo just stated, that clearly is not the case.

And when D'antoni first left and Woodson first took over, the knicks were blowing teams out, causing Lin, Melo, Chandler, etc. to be benched early on.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hold on.

There are two Jeremy Lins?

Are they related or is it just a coincidence?

8. hkomives

hkomives Member

The Jeremy Lin in NYC who caused Linsanity during the two week preiod was unbelievable, he was all over the papers, magazines, the news. Blanket coverage. Something his fans world wide and New Yorkers won't soon forget. It's high they want to experience again.

The Jeremy Lin in Houston are creating inconcistently satisfaction.

Yes, there are two Jeremy Lins.

9. rainjacket

rainjacket Member

I do not understand the difference, I am comparing Lin to Payton, nowhere did I state that Lin is as good as Payton

10. SeabrookMiglla

as old man rock was saying, Jlin is constantly improving. the coaching staff was getting him better at his weaknesses, and we definitely saw his weaknesses exposed earlier in the season. overall he has vastly improved in 3pt shooting, cutting down on turnovers,not getting caught in traffic when driving, and in general looks much smoother/comfortable player running the offence.

i am impressed with the progress he made, because i thought that he was gonna play the same way here as he did in NYC and other teams were just going to figure him out and shut him down. at times during linsanity you could tell he was a bit out of control when he played, and from the start other teams defenses didnt know how to handle him or what to expect. ive watched Jlin since his first game with the rockets during preseason and linsanity, and honestly even though i liked his game i thought he was somewhat one dimensional in the sense that he was constantly being aggressive and constantly driving to the basket. now he is a much more well rounded point guard who has multiple weapons to work with. he has the ability to take over games, but i would like to see him as a true point guard who runs the offense.

the offence must run the PG, not harden. i think next season we will see much more plays being set up by lin, because now all of the players are starting to develop chemistry. i dont think we will see as much harden ISO ball, which is appropriate sometimes but at the same time i have seen it backfire. like when harden dribbles the ball and passes it off at the very last second to someone for the 3, that has always made me pull my hair out. i would like to see lin passing to harden, and harden driving or spot up shooting threes while lin drives. not the other way around. but harden has learned this season to be an alpha, and i think the coaching staff took the time to let harden be the man to get him use to being the man while our offense has been developing.

its much easier to win games and give the ball to harden to score- when you have a group of new players who have never balled together and have no chemistry in the offense. next season i guarantee this team will be playing more team ball, after a full season together,a run at the playoffs and a full summer of practice.

im not expecting much from this team this year, nobody was. but next year will be a different story...

11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

H-town Lin is clearly better than NY Lin. The reason we don't see Linsanity numbers anymore is not because Linsanity was a "fluke" or an "aberration" (oh, how I hate people saying that!!). It's because he was much better utilized by D'Antoni who was soo confident in Lin's game after seeing the games before him versus McHale who sa/sits him for TD and Beverley in the most crucial parts of the game and probably would've played AB over Lin were Beverley not here. D'Antoni has said repeatedly how Lin could score 30 if he wanted to but plays so unselfishly that he wouldn't care if he got 10 (a stark contrast from McHale's comments on Lin scoring..) and he also said after that season that there is no reason for Lin not to continue to do what he did cuz "he did it before." Was he possessed? Did he hit lucky shots? I hate people trying to take away from Lin's accomplishments. He's not getting Linsanity numbers because he has Harden a young budding superstar next to him and a coach that doesn't believe in him, coupled with the fact that he was coming off of knee surgery at the beginning of the season. Yet, he's still balling all the while being doubted and hated by an unfair, obscene amount of people, especially considering how respectful, hard-working, selfless and likeable he's been through all the hoopla.

Even on this site, except for his long time supporters, the "love" given by most posters is along the lines of, "he's definitely starting to show that he's perhaps above average, and although he may not be much better than Beverley, he is the starter on this team... But he better be consistent cuz he's the most inconsistent youngster I've seen." Really?? For a NEW AGE, new era of winning basketball in Houston, a young pg scores 38 on SA, plays selfless, exciting basketball, hard-nosed defense, improving on his weaknesses on the fly and drastically improving over the course of ONE season (shooting 40% from 3or the last 3 months or so) and this is all the thanks he's gonna get. This tepid forced acceptance of Lin is the best you can muster for your starting point guard??

Rdiculous.. There's some serious mental bias going on here against Lin. And I'm not just talking about on this board, but across the country in general. It's actually worse out there! I urge you college kids out there to write a paper on this phenomenon. I except it has a little to do with the unreasoned backlash against the PS3 when it first came out (PS3 also Asian, lol) and the anti-Mac sentiment that is out there. Is it the desire not to buy what the media is selling? I don't know, but, it's definitely irrational and interesting how much logic gets compromised when it comes to certain issues or people..

#191 raskol, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. pnr

pnr Member

Poster above me is a drama queen in the purest sense... Sheesh. You need to chill out.. it's a message board full of trolls.

13. syntax error

syntax error Contributing Member

Using yahoo game logs lins monthly per 36 min numbers going from November (includes 1 game in October for simplicity) through to April are as follows:

Assists

Fg

3p%

There is basically a clear upward trend in points and shooting efficiency over time. Assists tend to fluctuate and is literally up one month and down the next.

Very good recent production.

If we strip out November then lin is averaging per 36 as follows for Dec to april

16.0 and 6.9 @ 46.2 fg% and 36.3 3p%

In NY he averaged per 36

19.5 and 8.3 @ 44.6 fg% and 32.0 3p%

Turnovers are also down around 1/4 relative to assists.

#193 syntax error, Apr 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Get over it. Lin gets a lot of Love too. Moreso than he probably deserves. If you want to talk about bias Yao Ming suffered much more, not even close in comparison and you didn't here his fans cry like little babies. The fact is there are a lot of us on this board who appreciate Lin who have been Rockets fans long before they even heard of Lin. I am not even a big McHale and I can see what you are saying is just stupid. If he thought Beverly was better he would start Beverly.

It's people like you who make some on this board turn on Lin only fans. Some of us are smarter than that and see you are just a small portion of the LOF's on here. Lin is really good. He is better than I thought who would be this year and I thought he would be good. But he is not that great 30 point player a game guy. He is not an overall better player than Harden right now. He is turning into a top notch pg in this league. But if you think Lin did not start the season off poorly and has not shown a significant improvement since the start of the season than you are blind Lin only fan and stupid to beat.

Lin has changed a lot of minds on this board and most can see he is a talent. But stupid "woa is Lin" posts do a disservice to your favorite player. Your post are just as stupid as those who hate on him unjustly. I wish both of you would quit posting. But since you won't I will try to ignore you and appreciate Lin and what the Rockets are doing this year.

#194 Old Man Rock, Apr 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

I want to kiss u rite now

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

LOL. OMR in mid-season form. He can be so meany. :grin:

17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Running the offense through the point guard huh... Well that worked great for Stockton, Nash, Kidd, Chris Paul, Tim Hardaway, Penny Hardaway, D-Will, and the Celtics haven't been back to the championship since they started running their offense completely through Rondo, and OKC doesn't look like they are going to win a championship running there offense through Westbrook. And if Tony Parker is brought up, you have to mention Manu because he controlled the ball a lot (like Harden) when he was in the game during the spurs championship years and the same can be said about Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars. So history shows running the offense completely through the point guard is not a guaranteed championship formula unless you're talking about Magic Johnson.

Why would the coaching staff have the offense run completely through one player when the Rockets have two playmakers...???

Harden and Lin have showed they can share the ball and be effective (like combining to account for over 100 points in points scored and assist against OKC). They'll be fine...

18. devin23

devin23 Member

Ouch... owned.

19. devin23

devin23 Member

Nice. January coming off a knee surgery and playing with a new team and harden. December being a brutal back to back month. Those aside, Lin is a solid 16 and 7 guy.

20. devin23

devin23 Member

Oops November and december i mean.