1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Lin be best as a 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Should Lin be our new 6th man?

1. Yes, it would take a lot I pressure off of him.

91 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No, he should remain our starting PG

344 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Since we are on the subject, why don't we just have Harden be the 6th man off the bench. After all, that's his old role, and he has proved it works.

On the other hand, Lin can run the show with a bunch of role players, like what he did in NY, and the few games when Harden was out this year.

2. hkomives

hkomives Member

Lin has a bench role, in the fourth quarter.

3. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Was thinking about this recently. I feel like Harden and Beverly have VERY complementary play styles. Harden can dominate the ball/playmake, occasionally dishing to Patrick, who is a decent spot up shooter, for a 3. Also, Beverly is a much better defender than Lin, so it may help to compensate more for Harden's defensive inabilities. I think the Lin/Anderson combo will also boost our bench brigade, as both players can make plays, but Anderson is not very ball-dominant. He can also shoot the 3 quite nicely.

4. nickg

nickg Member

I would like to introduce you to the thunder. They have two ball dominant players in their starting 5, you might have heard of them. When Harden and Lins usage rates are up, the team seems to do better ( and I only say "seems" because I dont have stats in front of me atm ). They are the best playmakers on the team and probably the two best at attacking the rim. Parsons is definitely a very good player but you can't deny that he, and everyone else on the court, gets a ton of their looks from Lin and harden. Basically, they should both be running the show the majority of the time they are on the floor. Yeah, both of them have TO issues, but they are usually high reward opportunities.

5. hkomives

hkomives Member

Since Harden plays almost the entire game, how could Lin play with Anderson?

However, Lin did play very well with Anderson against the Clippers when Harden was out.

6. gefforycook

gefforycook Member

Well, to give your list some credit, I would only laugh your ass off for Wall. do me a favor to check how Lin get his first job in Worrior and see how Lin schooled in his summer camp. So far, I would say Lin's contract is much better deal then Wall's in the last 3 years for fan's and owner's point of view.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am not asian and do not care if Lin is Asian or not. I have avoided many of these stupid debates involving Lin because frankly they mostly are stupid. But the times I have read most of the stupidity comes from the other side and not the way you are portraying. In fact your statement contributes more toward that stupidity than not. You said you like Lin, you like his unique style and he is fun to watch. Why not leave it at that.

So what if someone from Asia watches the Rockets because they are a big fan of Lin. Is it any different than any other fan who likes one player in particular. So what if TRob's sister watches the Rockets only because she wants to watch her brother and thinks he is the best and can do no wrong. Does that make her bad? Would you dislike her for that?

Why waste your time with negative energy. Analyze the way you see him. If someone has rose colored glasses why fight that. You stated your feelings about Lin why let someone else persuade you one way or the other. Just enjoy the game and the players. We all have favorites.

1 person likes this.
  8. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Agreed, i think in the playoffs we'll see the battle of our PGs and who's ready to show their worth.

9. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Yes. Its like a drama circus soap opera here every day.

Because Morey isn't going to just have role players on this team and Jeremy needs to learn to play with superstars. It is what it is.

10. nickg

nickg Member

I dont get what you were expecting out of him. Numbers like in new York? He was used exactly like harden is used now with us. He has one of, if not the lowest usage rating of any decent starting PGs in the league ( although it has gone up along with his production /gasp ) and is a relatively small part of the offense. Yet he's putting up 13 and 6, pretty close to mike Conley who also has a relatively low usage rating and plays a similar number of minutes. Wtf are you expecting dude?

1 person likes this.
  11. gefforycook

gefforycook Member

Well, to give your list some credit, I would only laugh your ass off for Wall. do me a favor to check how Lin get his first job in Worrior and see how Lin schooled in his summer camp. So far, I would say Lin's contract is much better deal then Wall's in the last 3 years for fan's and owner's point of view.

12. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

I saw the 10,000+ signature petition to keep him on the Knicks. If that's any indication, then most of his fans aren't Asian, and neither are most LOFs.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jedster

Jedster Member

People are not crazy just because they disagree with you dude.

1 person likes this.
  14. nickg

nickg Member

All of those players are better than harden at this point and even lebron and Kobe couldn't win **** without either a dominant ****ing team or one of the best offensive systems in the league. ISO ball, especially on a team like the rockets, has been proven to not work waaaay more often than it does when it actually means something.

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pimpn this drama is almost on evey Rockets site I know of....The Chronicle one is by far the worst....lol

16. nickg

nickg Member

You're eye test is coming from him matching up against mainly backups. You actually look closely at the games and compare when they are both against starting PGs/lineups and it actually looks pretty close. They are both good defenders and Beverley might be slightly better, but what little he gives you there, you lose much more in every facet of his game.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You do know that this is pretty much an experimental year correct....They didnt know that this team would be so good so quickly. Morey is working on bringing in another Superstar and other players as well. This season was just a taste of what the future has in store for this franchise. That is why they run ISO ball a lot, they dont really have but a few plays. Mainly read and react and pick n roll.

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Lin is more likely in the 10-15 range.

19. nickg

nickg Member

Really? You don't think Lin could put up numbers like any of those guys with the same minutes, usage rating, and offensive roles that they have? Apply some logic to that post. If you want to go full r****d I guess I will point out that a bunch of those guys are pgs on teams with ****ing terrible records and Lin, the only time that he played a similar role as this starting pgs that dominate the ball on their teams, led a ****ty knicks team through one of the craziest runs of the last few years.

All those guys would be doing pretty much the same thing as Lin except for cp3, dwil, Paul, Irving, and parker. And even then, their outstanding numbers would take a hit when you have harden with a near 30% usage rating while theirs hovers around 19-20%.

20. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This would be a temporary fix. If the chemistry is that bad and it just doesn't work, do you guys really see Morey paying 8 million for a 6th man unless it's a Harden/Ginobli type talent? Crawford and Smith are considerably better players and aren't even getting close to that much. It just doesn't make sense to pay bench players that much money. Morey would need that cap space to get a starting pg who is more compatible. It's basically start & adjust or get traded. I think it's going alright so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if Morey moved Lin in the off season either. He signed Lin before he knew he could get Harden. He thought we were stuck with Kevin Martin who is someone that needs a playmaker by his side. Now that we have Harden, Lin's contract might be more of an impediment to signing another star player.