1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stretch 4 or traditonal PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Who's a better fit?

1. Stretch 4

23 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Traditional PF

59 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

This is a kneejerk thread. All kneejerking welcome.:)

Do you think the Rockets need a stretch 4 to give rim attacking duo Harden+Lin room to drive or will a traditional PF post-threat fit better?

I know it's only been 3 games but the team has looked surprisingly good with Greg starting alongside Asik.
    And I know it's only been 1 game :p but team looked good with TJones (when he wasn't airballing a 3, heh)

2. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

We don't have much choice in the matter. Monty has proven unready to be a starter, and none of our other PFs are shooters. Traditional it is.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

4. instar

instar Member

Don't really care that much. Who can give you better defense more matters to me.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

A traditional power forward (Post up, good mid range jumper). If the stretch 4 also has an excellent post game then definitely a stretch 4

6. ngazi

ngazi Member

Traditional PF, stretch 5 Asik and DMo.

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

Doesn't really matter either way to me. Just as long as he's a great player.

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This. You can make either work.

9. brick

brick Member

Stretch 4 is a very expensive idea (very few PFs are quadlified) adopted to open up the lane for Harden. That's why our real PFs (Smith, Jones, DMo) got no or few minutes.

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Having a stretch 4 has become over hyped and over valued for the Rox. Defense and rebounding are what Rox have needed more than a stretch 4 this year. I prefer a traditional 4 who can be and inside presence offensively AND defensively who can also step out and hit a shot if need be.

11. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I feel TJone is the type of player that fit perfectly within this system and not Greg Smith. The reason is TJone has the ability to stretch all the way to 3. And he can drive and attack the basket. If he can't drive, then that's a problem. Tmoe can drive but not as fast and ferocious as TJones. And TJones size allow him to block shot and rebound which is perfect. Now if TJones can't rebound and is undersize playing PF like Delfino, then that's a problem. But that's not the case here. That's why i feel TJones fit this team PF perfectly. Even better than Greg Smith and TMoe. The problem w/ Tmoe is he's not strong enough...next year he should get stronger and also his defense is little suspect. Tmoe might fit the team, but his defense is lacking right now and his driving ability is not as good at TJones.

12. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

When I saw the game tonight and Smith would get the ball near the perimeter, his man would sag off of him toward one of the other guys or toward the basket. But when TJones got the ball in a similar position, his man would stay up on him, which opened up the lane for drives by Harden, Lin, and Chandler. Plus, when Jones pump faked, his man bit and he was able to make that drive to the hoop where he almost dunked it on someone's head.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I prefer stretch four, but want one that can play defense and rebound on defensive side. Ideal world would be a stretch four that could also play inside some. DMo has the potential to meet the offense that I would want. TRob has the defense and rebounding potential. T Jones may be able to become a nice mix of offense and defense if he can improve hos shot and defensive awareness.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

+1. It's not so much the style as it is the player.

There are obviously very bad fits, like I would never put Asik and a PF with zero offense(Reggie Evans type) together regardless of other talents. But overall Morey should just get the best player possible. Then have the coaches figure it out.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Asik's value will be much more noticeable with a true PF...Asik is such a smart defensive player...he is like chuck hayes...but 7'2"...put a true scoring PF with Asik, and the Rockets will be a top tier team...

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I'd prefer a traditional Power Forward myself.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

At this point we don't have a stretch 4. Motie shoots like 30%.

18. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

A good stretch 4 would be ideal. Dmo hasn't been that.

As of now, you take whoever is giving you the most back, that has been Greg Smith.

I still think Kevin Love would be the absolute perfect fit on this team, and if we can sign Dwight, if Love's situation stays bad in Minny, Asik, Parsons, and a pick might get it done.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Traditional PF. I think most teams tag team Asik to keep him off the offensive glass. The center boxes him out while the PF pulls it down. Jones was able to grab a bunch of offensive rebounds last night because he is quick, athletic, has long arms, and a high basketball IQ. Pair him with Asik and the Rockets should grab more rebounds and get more tip-ins.

20. CertifiedTroll

We need TJones.