1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Talk 790] Daryl Morey Interviews

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 28, 2012.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don't get the tjones argument I mean I get that he is the unknown but don't you think if he was better than dmo Trob and smith he would be playing? It's not rocket science. I get that he's playing we'll in the dleague but Marcus Morris avg 28 and 12 down there his rookie yr and didnt play a lick either. Dmo actually played better than t jones in dleague and he hasn't looked great either. The coaches see these guys everyday obviously tjones is getting wrked in practice and doesn't know the plays I'd bet money that's the reason not that he's getting black balled.

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

And Habs trobs been out best of the last 3 games so I'm
    Not sure we're the garbage come from. He has alot of promise and will be alot better than chuck hays.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

White, Jones, D-Mo and T-Rob. Obviously White is a waste of a pick. T-Rob and D-Mo should be solid role players with a ceiling of becoming average starters in the NBA (T-Rob possibly above average). Not sure about Jones, but he can't be good if he's not getting any PT.

Or deepest position on paper and yet our weakest all season long.

4. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

you can foul out in soccer. it's called a yellow for persistent fouling. and then you can get a 2nd yellow for something that's no dangerous play: celebrating with the crowd, taking off your shirt, pulling a player back (basically the equivalent of a clear path foul in the nba). you can get a straight red for denying a goal scoring opportunity.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Furkan A man

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

DMo is more suited to play on our bench unit than on our 1st unit.

I'm not giving up on him as yet.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

22yo big man.

8. Random Fan

Random Fan Member

D-Mo or more suited to play with a group that has a PG that can dribble a basketball.

9. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think Dmo should continue to start and that he will end up being a very good NBA player.

He has never played in the NBA before this year and he has only played around 16 or 17 games, give the guy a chance.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He can be our scoring option on the 2nd unit. On the 1st unit, he struggles to get his touches and defend.

On hindsight, TJones should have been starting after the trade deadline. All those "inconsistency" issues are GMspeak. I don't know how you can describe DMo and TRob as consistent.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I've given up on DMo because we are getting a PF this summer, I'd be shocked if we take a donut this summer.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You may be right, but the chances are pretty high that Morey uses the cap space on an upgrade at PF. If Dmo has a chance to be REALLY good, he'll have to develop those skills as a backup. If Morey thinks he'll then leave on his own anyway OR ask to be p-a-y-d paid, he'll have to trade him like he did PittyPat.

Although I think Morey and the coaches have quite an attachment to him. Dmo's their special project, their Great White Hope. "We drafted him special, we waited for him, McHale can't help but see himself in Dmo (even if McHale had the traditional big man's role and Dmo is being asked to stretch the floor)..."

I like Dmo's potential, but I don't think the organization wants to waste the Harden Wonder Years on waiting for Dmo to quit fouling or Trob to, well, suck less.

13. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Actually, DM will take any All-star he can get, at any position except SG, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a SG.

If he is going to pick by position, though, I think he'd sooner go C, then PG, then SF.

14. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grizzlies should sign the worst PG.(Grizzlies looking at Jonny Flynn, Scott Machado, Courtney Fortson, Sundiata Gaines & Keyon Dooling)

We did waive (Lin). A lot of extenuating circumstances with roster pressure, needing a center and guaranteed money. I shouldn't have waived him, that's for sure.

Personally I feel we've exceeded expectations. Goal was to make the playoffs.

We'll never win less than 30 any year, no matter who is on the roster.

I get it(bottoming out) but our challenge and why we didn't pursue that strategy, we don't feel like we can execute it. Greg Smith and Pat Beverley and James Anderson, we end up picking up guys and...we'd have to intentionally and some teams do this, like last year, a team not trying to win ended up playing two guys we waived with the Vipers in their starting lineup at the end of the season. It's possible but it's hard for us to find guys who don't at least win a couple of games. It's pretty hard to do.

I'm curious, your perspective, the Shane for Rudy trade is one that now both have moved on and I think, at different points, the trade made sense for both at the time, but who gets the better end of that trade? I'm wondering actually at the end of the day. ... I think it was a win-win.

(Redo of the draft) Roy goes first, even with the injury. That was a weird draft. A lot of interesting twists and turns in that one.

We've overachieved because a combination good coaching and players have stepped up better than we expected. Lin, Asik, Parsons better than expected. Beverley from Russia, he's played fabulous. We've had a good run of solid guys.

(On the Robinson trade) They've always like Patterson and we've resisted moving him. They came to the conclusion to move Thomas. It was pretty simple. They had always looked at Patterson as someone they wanted to add. That deal was pretty much Patrick for Thomas. They got a solid locker room guy who is probably a better basketball player right now and we got another high end elite potential talent that could develop over time.

Robinson is what we hoped for. Elite rebounder. Move his feet on D. Runs the floor well. Can face up and attack. He's given solid minutes.

(Style of play & philosophy) Our organizational philosophy is just to win. We knew we would be young, with young legs and guys whose strengths were getting to the rim and shooting threes. Because of that and meeting with the coaches in the offseason and the coaches have a lot of experience coaching this style, we said this is the style we think is best for our personnel. We've been executing it and so far, so good.

(No mid-range shots?) No, We're running offensive sets and read and react that generates those shots with our personnel. It's not a prescription of don't do this or don't do that. It's more set up a system that gets a high percentage shot most possessions.

(Why don't other teams run this?) It does challenge your defense. There's a belief, that I don't agree with, that when you get to the playoffs it won't be effective. I think not a lot of teams, the kind of offense we're running, not a lot of coaches have coached it before. You go with what your comfortable with. And personnel wise, if you have Jefferson or Randolph, you want to pound it and post up.

(Sloan Sports Conference) My main takeaways are the research papers and we're looking for future Rockets employees.

(Western Conference landscape) I like OKC , then the Spurs, then Denver, then the Clippers, then you guys. I would have you guys ahead of LAC but they have Chris Paul. The Nuggets, they play similar to us. Maybe a little rooting interest. If we don't win, I don't mind Denver winning. It would prove the doubters wrong that our style of play can win.

3 people like this.
  16. Arthurprescott2

Thanks as always, JR.

Most interesting part - DM is invested in seeing fast-paced run&gun offense work in the playoffs. Wonder if that's because he wants to see it himself or if he just wants the style validated.

17. conquistador#11

or we're just not that good at the half court game as you need some coaching for that. We get predatory when we run the "we have no idea what we're doing" offense. Okc, spurs and the nuggets can play our style. The clippers..their shooting guard and small forward channel the ghost of durant's past every time they play us.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, it follows that Kevin McHale and Daryl Morey would want to play their power forwards in order of seniority. Not that it's necessarily the right thing to do, but:

Morey's m.o. is to cycle through players he drafts and then trade them before they can ask for a raise.

McHale's a coach so he'll favor players who need less coaching and give him a better chance of winning. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled with losing Patterson (and we would have won more games if he were still here).

As it is, Dmo starts. 4 minutes in, after he collects his second foul, Trob comes in; Morey wants to keep his value up, if possible. Then it's a matter of cycling in Greg Smith or Carlos Delfino, depending on matchups.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Again, and as always, I appreciate your efforts for me, for us, JR!

20. Sam the Ram

Sam the Ram Member

In the interview he speaks about all teams not wanting to win, and says that last year a team was starting 2 players that were on RGV. Who is he talking about? Maybe Orlando, Toronto, or Charlotte?