1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The reason why Lin is not consistent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tom84128, Mar 27, 2013.

1. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

100% on the money. I'd rep you if I didn't need to spread some around first.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Probably because Harden is an All-Star who averages 26 points a game while having one of the highest true shooting percentages in the entire league while Lin averages like 12 points per game, isn't an All-Star, and isn't an elite efficient scorer. OR it could be that McHale hates Asians and loves black players. What do you think?

3. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Point guard job was taken out from him and was given to Harden.:rolleyes:

He was order by coach to stand at the corner as a spot shooter.

1 person likes this.
  4. rng

rng Member

If what you said is all truth, I will have no problem let Bev start and Lin just play backup. But just in this game, after sitting more than a quarter, when starting in third quarter, Lin played aggressive, setting up teammates with great assists, helping on defense, had two great steals, I saw no sign of so called "uninterested, uninspired or depressed", but did that make any difference?

So just because he made some mistakes in 1st quarter, he will never be a good player?

5. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

Yes, we all LOFs agree that Beverley is better than Lin.

Please start Beverley and never play Lin again. Have Brooks back up Beverley. Deactivate/ shut down Lin for rest of season.

The way the LOHs act here is they're totally convinced the Rockets would be better off without Lin playing. For a second, I ask all LOFs to agree that Beverley is better and the Rockets are better with Beverley than Lin and let's all (LOFs, LOHs, all following Rockets) witness if this belief/ conviction is true.

Please start Beverley, don't play Lin anymore.

I really really wanna see the result. But ****head McHale won't do it. He has the guts to bench the player Les and Morey go extra length to acquire but he has no guts to follow all the way through on it. Nobody ****ing wins.

Please do it, McHale. I really wanna witness it myself that Beverley (the guy who joined the organization in January, while Lin was with Rockets for training camp, etc) will make the Rockets much better, and proving he's the much better player than Lin. We wanna believe you, do it, please.

6. wendzall

wendzall Member

i think mchale's not thoughtful about his decisions, they are gut responses. that said, i don't think it really matters what decisions he makes. lin has to overcome this situation if he wants to be the type of player he thinks he can be. there was never the charity stripe for his career start and there will never be any until he retires. and as a lin fan, that's exactly how i want him to succeed, on his own, against the doubters!

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Maybe take a break from basketball for a while? lol

Lin needs to improve. At present he is simply not good enough to lead a team even if the team gets built around him. Granted his skills are not a good match for the role he's been put in. But reality is that Lin has two options right now:

1) Be a leading scorer on a team with a low ceiling.
    2) Be a role player on a team with a high ceiling.

For his future and the Rockets future, option #2 is best. The first option would not allow him to develop his overall skill set, which is what he needs to go to get to the next level.

The good news is there is some improvement in his overall game and he is on course to complete his first almost-full season for a single team - which means he will have learned a lot this season.

It will all be fine. Lin is a smart guy. He knows what's best for him more than we do. He seems to be ok with how things are going other than the fact that he wishes his development was faster. You don't see him wishing he was taking more shots or saying that the Rockets would be better if more plays were run for him.

This is an organization you can trust. A lot of places, these decisions are made subjectively. This organization, however, relies a lot more on statistical analysis than other organizations so if anything there is less likelhihood that someone is getting shafted because of stupidity or racism or whateve you may think it is.

Everyone just needs to chill and accept that we have a PG who is not yet worth his salary in on-court production, although his future is bright. Lin knew this and the Rockets knew this. Everything is going according to plan.

8. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

LOL K.Mchale if u want to keep BEV can win the rockets the game in the 4th. keep him in WTF mon. FAIL

9. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

I'm sorry, take away his fouls and what the TS% plummet. That is not a recipe for success if you're waiting for the whistle to give you two at the line, or when teams start doubling down and packing the paint.

10. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

total nonsense

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

jeremy lin is not even treated as a 2nd option.

12. conquistador#11

by this logic calvin murphy loves asians and hates black players because he believes harden should play his natural position and lin the role of pg. ;)

the benching of lin in the first qtr was the correct decision. lin learned from it, helped the lead go down to 4 bad defense allowed the pacers' shooting guard extend their lead all the way back to 10. wasn't the complaint by some of you, towards martin, that thought he scored 23 a game. he gave up 10000 ?

all players should be held accountable. since we're young, we can't let anyone develop bad habits. And according to mchale, he is not the one calling for isos. so someone isn't listening.

13. wendzall

wendzall Member

so the same organization that cut him last year and gave him a bloated contract after "linsanity" should be trusted?

14. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I've heard so many excuses this season for why Lin doesn't perform it's hilarious. Imagine if we reached for excuses for every player on our team like people do for Lin.

According to you guys:

1) He can't play with a superstar because he needs to be ball dominant
    2) He has to get a lot of minutes or he loses all his confidence and sucks
    3) He can't catch and shoot
    4) He can't sit for more than 5 minutes or he goes cold.
    5) ...

He's not going to have much success in this league if what you guys say is true.

15. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

Dude you're right, I need to take a break, it's been depressing these last 3 games.

I actually like the benching method. Young players who make millions, or/and have a string of good games sometimes tend to lose perspectives, lose their head and get off track. Benching humbles them and makes them listen to the boss. Adversity motivates, ass kissing rarely does. If I have a child, I want them to play for a tough love coach.

But having said that, there's more to it than tough love in this McHale benching Lin. He's scapegoating Lin for team's silly mistakes, team's breakdown on defense, team's stagnant O... everything on Lin. It's like George Karl used to do with JR Smith. He's like the perfect player to unload frustration on. Not because of his tattoos, not because of his race, not because of his "thuglife" lifestyle, taste of music, his girlfriend etc... but because for some reason you cannot explain to yourself, you just cannot stand the guy. Let's face it, at some point in EVERYone's life, we all meet at least one person who, for reasons we don't totally comprehend ourselves, we just can't stand.

Bottom line, you just don't significantly bench a guy 3 straight games who had just averaged 20ppg and 6-7apg in recent stretch, just because he got sloppy in first quarter 3 games ago, knowing that turnovers in world of PGs may actually mean effort, aggressiveness in pushing the ball/ distributing. The best in business average more TPG than him: Rondo, Westbrook, Holiday, Irving, Lillard, Curry, who all average 3.0 TPG or more.

All of you who said the same sentiment "At present he is simply not good enough to lead a team", it truly blows my mind. So out of the options we have, Beverley is the best one? Geez, this Lin guy just has 100 games, averaging 13 and 6, getting the bigs run the floor hard because they all know they're getting the ball from Lin. They're getting helluva easy baskets from Lin. It makes them play hard in paint, rebound hard, the ball kept moving. Parsons having 1-2 breakaway layup/ dunk/ open 3 every game. And all of a sudden, the guy who can do none of those above but only score when he gets the ball is the better PG to lead the team?

---

Let me say this... in McHale's eyes, Beverley is the better player simply because he allows Harden to dominate the ball/ be the playmaker and can attack off Harden's passes. But we ALL KNOW what happens when the ball starts to stick to Harden's hands (aka iso-Harden, aka Harden the SG in PG body):
    - Harden's own shooting going south
    - Rockets losing games
    - Rest of Rockets players barely have involvement in offense and reduced to ball watchers

All happened in November, in January, and now. Coincidence?

We also know what happened when Lin gets the ball more:
    - More even production for all Rockets players who hit the floor
    - Actually Harden's shooting is best when Lin is the distributor, (Hey just like how it worked wonderfully in OKC when Harden was NOT the playmaker, but he was the one receiving passes from Westbrook, Durant, and the ball kept moving)
    - Rockets generally winning games

16. Jovial

Jovial Member

Lin never makes any excuse in his postgame interview for his poor performance. He's working hard to improve to help the team, while the racist McFail never trust him at all. How frustrating! As a Lin fan, I condemn McFail to hell.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

dude read the post above . you just cut and pasted this post from a few days ago, i have already read it. LOL I all for Lin getting bench but when Mchale overdoes it , it hurts the rockets. Anyway what's up with bringing Lion back in 5 mins to go in the 4th quarter? Total setup:mad:

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Mchale just likes certain types of players. He likes players with energy, aggression, defense and rebounding. He would be mad at Durant and Westbrook in their very early years when OKC was losing every game and the players had tons of turnovers.

19. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

I'm convinced McHale just dislikes Lin. It's not his race, it's not his "ridiculous" contract, it's not his humility, or scowl in his face. It's the one person you met in your life that for whatever reason you don't understand yourself, you just cannot stand.

Nothing personal.

So don't play him no more. But don't insult him, keep starting him, and end up playing him less than his backup. It is called "to humiliate". It has to stop.

Go with Beverley all out. I am curious. I wanna see what LOHs see, that Lin is just a scrub, and Beverley is actually average, but compared to Lin, he's like CP3. He should significantly improve the Rockets the more he plays, the less Lin plays. Let's do it. I wanna see it.

20. rockets137

rockets137 Member

Honestly, I didn't trying to compare Lin with Harden, that would be insane. The beard is a ready package, he is an all star inside out, meanwhile Lin is a player with tons of potential.
    All I want to point out is the level of trust, how Lin will get to his true potential, if Mchale keep screwed him (especially the subsititution pattern) sometimes it just blow my mind. Now, I trying so hard to resist the idea that the coach himself has a distrust issue with Lin, but the the fact it happened not only once or twice in the past is keep me going.
    If only Lin can get the half of trust like Mchale put into Harden, that would be golden for Rockets.
    so yes to me, a player will get to his best when the coach put a trust into the player, not the other way around.