1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you like McHale?

1. Yes

31.6%
  2. No

68.4%
  1. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I know the Rockets are 39-32 but sometimes he made me angry with his nonsense rotations and his poor coaching and motivator. He needs to go unless we somehow win championship this year and replace with someone who understand how NBA works. Not playing Lin and Asik until 4 minutes left in 4th quarter, that's just not right.

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Rockets aren't winning a championship no matter who is the coach this year. Its a building year. Be happy they are winning and probably going to the playoffs.

McHale is not the best but he's done a good job with a brand new team and the youngest core to boot.

/thread

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This team is doing far better than any if us thought it would even after the harden trade went through

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

McHale is a legit Coach of the Year candidate. He's proven to be a terrific coach.

5. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

I like McHale. I think he's an average coach, but I still like the guy.

6. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

um he cant help it if his starting point guard sucks... ;-p

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I agree.

With that being said, if we had a roster that had championship potential, I would hope for someone else.

8. davek

davek Member

Just when JLin and Harden seem to be doing well together....we back to square one. JLin being use as spot up shooter which we already know is ineffectively!! Why is team back at doing iso? its been like this for the last 3 games now....
    Is it because we beat the Spurs so we back at this type of system?
    The pace definitely slowed down and boring to watch....

I rather watch the bench play then this iso game thats been going back as of late.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Greg Smith goes off for 18 points and 19 boards and somebody can't figure out why Asik was riding the pine???

And apparently McHale knows nothing about basketball..... :rolleyes:

10. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

as a human , yes
    as a coach Hell NO.

11. nbafever

nbafever Member

As a person, yes. As a big man coach, yes.

But not head coach material. He needs to be able to adjust mid-game when the game plan is not working. And he's so poor at that. He needs to call more plays for this young team. He needs to give Harden and Parsons more rest. He should utilize his bench--Anderson, Brooks, etc--better. List goes on and on.

He's so poor at rotations. And he loves too much small-ball in the 4th qtr. (I still have nightmares from those Scola-PPat line-ups from end of last season.)

1 person likes this.
  12. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I guess its not fair to say he's an idiot, but there are arguably better coaches than him out there.

So the question becomes, "Do we want to wait through McHale's rookie coach growing pains also?"

I still think he was brought in to endure the "tank" seasons, but we're ahead of schedule.

1 person likes this.
  13. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I like McHale and what he's done this season but I don't think he's a good coach going forward. Too limited offensively imo.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Well said, but I'm more lenient. I like him as a coach, not because he's Greg Popavich, but that he's winning in a tough conference with a completely new team. I implore folks to come up with a list of coaches who did better upon receiving the gift of 4 new starters and a virtually brand new team.

Eric Spoelstra did pretty well with the heat, but that team was constructed of veterans.

This Rockets staff has done a fantastic job considering what they started with. McHale is part of that staff.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm sure most of the negative votes are coming from our new members. They seem to speak the loudest and have little notions of the history this team is dealing with.

16. Rocket_Man_2.0

I like Mchale...he's just not the right coach for the Rockets. Mediocre coaching will give you mediocre results. If Rockets want to get to the promise land they need a coach that knows what he's doing. Sloan, Lawrence Frank, Nate McMillan, Stan Van Gundy...are all better coaches.

17. davek

davek Member

He only looks good cause of Harden...take that away he's a **** ass coach!!!

18. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

And the reason for Delfino playing PF against Hansborough in the middle of the 4th? And it's not like Delfino was in his run either. He got benched after his ridiculously quick jumper with the lead down to 5 and then PUT BACK IN in order to play PF against the Indiana bigs. And guess what? Before you know it, the lead is back to 12.

I like McHale as a person and is sarcastic and eminently quotable. But I have never screamed by head off at a Rockets coach while the watching the games, and I find myself doing so at McHale almost every game for some coaching blunder.

1 person likes this.
  19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

He is a good coach for a rebuilding team bc players tend to respect him for his NBA career. In less than two season we outgrew him. I think this team deserves a real coach and not a figurehead.

1 person likes this.
  20. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Most say no, wow.

1 person likes this.