1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White Returning to RGV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully he does go AWOL on the Vipers during the playoffs, the timing would be perfect for Royce to do something to help the Rockets void his contract.

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

Well, I know it's a bad thing to wish for, but THIS ^.

3. zman2002

zman2002 Member

Well how much more painful and pissed off would Les be?

I just learned that he "was in and out of legal trouble at Minnesota" and I was like why in the h*** we wanted him. Sigh...

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Royce White con't. "Going to the playoffs, I want them to have a team that’s going to stick together.” 2/2</p></blockquote>

So now he's a team player? :rolleyes:

#BeHypocritical

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Not playing in the d league playoffs. What a flake of a team mate. He's only in it for the $$$$. He doesn't care about basketball at all.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Just a busted kneecap...please just one

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This guy is human garbage. A complete waste of oxygen.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've been one of his biggest supporters but he tries even my patience. No one is content with how he has managed this entire situation but wishing physical harm on this kid is really pretty sad and reflects poorly on us as people.

It's pretty apparent that his condition is worse than anyone (including himself) realizes and he has been in active distress all season. What many don't understand is that he can't be rational due to his condition. Being immature and feeling entitled exacerbates the responses to the behaviors that he can not control.

I think the patience and willingness to work with him that the Rockets have shown has been stellar and will pay off. The payoff just may not be here as a Rocket. With hindsight being 20/20, once his condition can be stabilized and normalizes, I think he will be able to acknowledge that the Rockets have done an admirable job.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't understand Rocket fans practically cheering for one of their players to be a screw up. There is a big difference from expecting the worst, but it seems people enjoy seeing it.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see it. Sure he had his best game ever in the D league last night, but he's still not anywhere close to playing at an NBA level and you never know when he'll grace you with his presence or not. There is no way ANY NBA franchise can deal with a guy who may or may not show up to any given game. He has no future in the NBA

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/jonathan_feigen">jonathan_feigen</a> Plan was never to stay beyond the regular season with @<a href="https://twitter.com/rgvvipers">rgvvipers</a>… don’t try to make it seem like I’m just jetting out…lol </p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/316962218111533056">March 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/jonathan_feigen">jonathan_feigen</a> You get off reporting this in a skewed way, you think that makes it truth? it doesn’t… Error can’t be truth friend. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BeWell">#BeWell</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/316962660690309120">March 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/jonathan_feigen">jonathan_feigen</a> Plan’s been 4 me to return to Houston at the end of the regular season for weeks now… or maybe error is the goal. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Homework">#Homework</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/316963287281573888">March 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

#251 J.R., Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

This guy is super egotistical and not even about basketball.

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Probably won't be with any team in the league, let's be honest. Even in the odd times he plays he's not very good. Teams aren't going to take a risk like that.

Maybe all this publicity will help him get another gig though.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Whenever the media stop paying attention to him, he does or says something stupid to regain their interest, and that's why there will never be an end to this. In college, he was a campus star, but he's just another forgettable journeyman in the NBA, and he can't accept that. He will not settle for living in the shadows. The spotlight must be on him. No matter what he has to do to get it.

And that pretty much sums it up.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If this guy turns it around and simply becomes a 5- year NBA starter, it would go down as one of the biggest turnarounds in NBA history.

Where do you start? His severe authority issues? Declaring that hectic travel schedules are a no-go for him? That he put on over 30 pounds since being drafted and can barely get off the court with what now appears to be a 4 inch vertical? Has no clear position/role on an NBA team?

He's got decent skills, but is pairing them with well-below NBA level quickness and athleticism. If you watch his Vipers footage, you aren't seeing someone that could stay in front of anyone at the NBA level on defense or get around them on offense. Won't be able to create space for jumpers, won't be able to get shots off cleanly in the post, and isn't showing a touch that he'd need to for catch and shoots. That's nice that he can run the break, but I don't see what he's supposed to do in the halfcourt on either side. And that's if he shows up and listens to what his coworker McHale has to say.

What will be fun is after his contract is voided, lawsuit dismissed, and the Rockets finally are free to leak all the BS he's pulled behind the scenes this season.

16. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Simple his lazy ass WILL NOT get our repect aka T-Mac

RESPECT IS EARNED NOT GIVEN

17. showa13

showa13 Member

is it bad that I would cheer an injury to Royce White so he could go away? I'm so done with this guy.

18. Habs

Habs Member

Top-notch people can cover scandals easily. In terms of loose cannons, Royce White would be a p***y cat to top PR teams (ones that work at BP, Exxon). Houston obviously doesn't have them (to be expected since you don't expect huge media issues with a basketball team).

Can't blame him for not trusting the team Doctor though. NBA Doctors seem awful.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You just heard this? I was harping this all before the draft. He had problems in High school college and probably most of his life being a thief and a kook. He had one season at Iowa State under a coach with pro experience he was very tolerant and allowed him to do as he pleased for the most part.

Now he is in the NBA and he wants it his way but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. The Rockets told him, "Sure you can skip the games and come back to Houston... That's fine, only we're not going to pay you". And suddenly he is well and back in the Rio Grande valley.

His fear of flying is just a small symptom of his real issues. He has shown amazing talent in spurts but that talent is overshadowed by his lack of desire to even play the game for money.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As some people (including Clutch, Wojnarowski and myself) have said, the big question about RW is how much being good at NBA basketball actually matters to him. Right now, it just seems that hoops is just one of his many interests and fairly far from his top priority (somewhere below mental health advocacy, music, photography). He was happy enough to play the game when success came fairly easy against NCAA competition, but having to struggle for minutes and develop new skills against NBA players seems to create a great deal of mental distress in him.

It's OK to not value professional success in hoops above all else, but this does make it very hard to actually succeed in the NBA-- it's a hard enough when you are 100% devoted. He needs to figure out whether it is worth it for him to go through the hard, stressful, not so fun part of the NBA for him to potentially enjoy its rewards.

1 person likes this.