1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to go after Josh Smith/Millsap next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure nobody who refers to it as 'poontang' gets any.

1 person likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

galleria, stripbars, crawfish, chinese company endorsements...

3. autoprt

autoprt Member

whatever you do don't sign jsmith lived in atl for a little while. he's great when it's regular game no pressure are but when it's clutch or pressure time he always does the wrong thing fumble ball off foot, miss free throws, etc....

4. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

so is this all actually LEGIT? Initially, this thread starting off as a lot of BS. But now people are actually believing everything the guy that started this thread said. So what's the deal?

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Morey has always been a staunch Rondo supporter. Iirc he actually was party responsible for drafting him to the celtics.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, damn, don't post that.

If I had to pay so much got-damn money for my wife's appendectomy at Memorial Hermann, even after surgery (yes, the important thing is she's fine, but still....),then the Rox can pay up for medical services.

If they'd quit throwing their money away on Royce White-like and Sergio Llull-like draft decisions, maybe they could spend a little mo' money.

Yeah, this thread has turned into the three-headed dragon. I believe cyberx, but I smile a bit when I think if I were privy to inside info. Would I at least feign humility? "Golly jeepers, guys, this is getting embarassing."

Cyberx, sitting poolside with Rockets girls massaging his, er, feet, and the rest of us walking up to him with trays of food: "Nah, don't like the smoked salmon"; "ah, California Pizza Kitchen, niiiiice, one of you was thinkin'"....

#526 ROXTXIA, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. just a word

just a word Member

Uh, I'm actually wondering if the amenities are more along the lines of antlers from a hoofed critter because of how vague that response was.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Most of us non-believers have taken the advice to shut our yaps. You can believe what you want to believe, there's not much point in arguing over it.

9. ROXTXIA

Um, weird.

My response was vague? Didn't know it was supposed to be written in stone.

Do any of us know if cyberx is legit? I believe he is.

10. just a word

just a word Member

I meant how vague cyberx is.

Tbh, I'm... grain of salting. They could be legit, but the answers are mostly nothing that fans haven't at one time or another deduced. On the other hand, why would any competent executive reveal something that needs to be underwraps, even at a casual luncheon? Therefore, chances are it's already semi-public knowledge that's not super vital to either: any deals going down, any ongoing deals, or any day-to-day workings.

I would expect nothing less of someone legit. But it makes it hard for them to prove themselves, and the more they prove themselves and the more information given to them appears out in the public, the more chance of how tighterlipped the people they lunch with will be. Catch-22.

Frankly I just like tossing questions like it's a magic 8-ball; life is more zen that way.:grin:

11. ROXTXIA

Ah, yes. My bad.

Well, in any case, it's all in good fun. I think we can all assume we're set at the 2 and probably the 5 (we ain't gettin' Dwight) and the 3 (unless there's an upgrade somewhere we haven't heard about, and I don't think Iggy's opting out of a $16,000,000 year, so...) and maybe even the 1.

Or, more to the point, our weak spot is obvious, so the original premise of the thread is semi-public knowledge. As Kevin Love is under contract and Minnesota could get better offers for him than we'll give anyway, then it probably comes down to Josh Smith and Millsap.

The rest that cyberx gives are interesting tidbits. At least until the Rockets insider says, "Yo, 'Cyberx'. Ix-nay on the utchfans-Clay."

12. just a word

just a word Member

I charted it out and basically if a team keeps 8 guys from the previous year on it's roster, it's basically +5 wins on chemistry alone. (This is just numbers from last season tho, I'd have to do something like a 10 year comparison to be totally robust).

So if we keep the core starting 4, Delfino, two of DMo/TRob/TJones/Anderson, and Beverly, in theory the Rockets should improve to 50 wins. :grin:

13. ROXTXIA

Yes, Morey needs to start keeping his team together.

I do wish he could land Kevin Love, but that's to be seen. Add a real power forward to this mix, trade one of Dmo (they won't) or Trob (maybe) for value, keep Harden + Lin + Asik + CParsons.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Let's just say J-Smooth or Millsap signs to play at TheToyShop. BTW - - I hope not, but let's just say, ok?

So, if one of those lads is signed then there has to be a corresponding deal because Smith/Millsap + TRob + DMo + TJ (+ RW) even if Smith/Millsap or TJ or RW moved to play some Big Ball 3 there are still too few minutes. Plus GS4.

So, not who gets moved but who gets moved for what? With so many roster players with NBA rotation ability there still remain just 240 mpg.

15. sean joh

sean joh Member

quote from ESPN NBA Insider Kevin Pelton stops by to chat about the latest news from the hardcourt.

"Kevin - I'm concerned about the Rockets adding Josh Smith at a max (or near max) salary. I don't see a core with him as the 2nd best player as a championship contender, and his inability to shoot along with Asik's will screw up their offense. How do you view his potential fit/non-fit there?

Kevin Pelton (1:50 PM)
    I'm in favor of Houston making a run at Smith, so let me make the argument. First, I wouldn't say Smith is unable to shoot relative to power forwards, which is the appropriate comparison in this case. His ability to draw a defender to the perimeter may be more important than his actual percentage beyond the arc. Second, the Rockets really aren't that far from the second tier of contenders (Denver, L.A. Clippers, Memphis) right now in terms of point differential. Adding Smith plus the development of Lin/Harden could make up that difference."

16. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Smith's ability to space the floor works with James' and Jeremy's offense.

17. just a word

just a word Member

Also this team seriously needs another shot-blocker/defense guy. Asik has the ability but I have the strong suspicion he's trying really hard not to foul out since that was a legitimate concern for him coming into the season.

18. DBRox

TRob had some pretty impressive blocks in his few games for us.

19. sean joh

sean joh Member

spacing is the problem of the offense now when switch between Dmo and Trob.

20. DBRox

Spacing the floor is important since our offense is essentially James and Jeremy. It allows for easy passes and drives to the basket. The floor spacing causes sloppy play by the defense and easy foul calls.