1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White leaving RGV to go back to Houston, but not to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets0515, Mar 21, 2013.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

8, as in the $8 you'll require to purchase tonight's ho on montrose.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And the Rockets can suspend him with out pay for as long as he with holds his services.

3. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Lesson to all kids: If you ever want to legally steal money through fraud, take a page out of Royce's saga.

4. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

^
    This is exactly it, I'd say.

Truly unfortunate situation. 3.3 million dollars guaranteed?!... that just makes me think of how guys like Parsons are locked in for way less.

5. CertifiedTroll

He keeps playing his word games. He will never get recognition if he can not explain the problem.

6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That interview was embarassing for Urkel White. He's one of those guys who thinks he's smart but in reality is a dumbass trying to act smart.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Another funny thing about this is that this whole time he claims to have a debilitating fear of flying, yet he was in Hidalgo earlier today with the Vipers and then made his announcement that he was leaving the team and was on CNN from Houston a few hours later Hidalgo, TX is 350 miles away from Houston, I wonder how he got there so fast.....

8. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You don't need to be a mind reader. All you need to do is look at Royce's actions throughout his life to realize this guy is a fraud.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Royce White has shown the world that there is an easier way to rob 3.5 millions than taking a gun to the bank.

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't think they've been trying to void his contract since then, but I hope you're right about everything else. I think the Rockets tried to work with him and it was painful for months. He didn't want their help. They provided him with a great psychiatrist and even footed the bill. Who would not take that for free? Royce White. I think he has trust issues and suffers from paranoia.

The last thing the Rockets need is a lawsuit on their hands. If all of this doesn't work out, I hope they find a way to get rid of him asap. The last thing we want is for him to sue the Rockets saying things like, "They ruined my career. They said they would cooperate with me, but they didn't. They took the best years of my life and now I can't play in the NBA my life long dream. I couldn't focus on basketball when they said I had to fly to games. They lied to me and didn't work with me at all causing me to lose it. Now, no team will take a chance on me."

Things could get ugly.

11. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

The ADA requires reasonable accommodations. Reasonable being the key word. I think the Rockets have been reasonable and then some.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This might shed some light:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...houston-rockets-grande-valley-vipers/2006627/

This doesn't honestly sound all that unreasonable.

13. basketballholic

Wonder what his living accommodations were like at Iowa State?

Why isn't any of the media guys doing a story on what accommodations were made for him at Iowa State? Where did he live?

Lordy, if he were starting and playing 30 minutes for the Rockets he'd be playing in 30 different cities on all sorts of different nights. Consistency? That's impossible.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the team flight gets delayed - the whole team gets fined? That's ridiculous.

Sounds like to me he wants his times where he misses practices due to his disorder as being counted as an "injury" but the Rockets don't see it as a valid reason. He feels that the want to be rid of him because he is a pain in the butt - which he is. But I think people who say he doesn't have mental problems and is just scamming the system and playing people for money actually reinforce what he is saying about mental health. Everyone wants him to toughen it out and act like a man. But maybe he can't and it just doesn't work that way. It's frustrating, and we can be quick to judge. Heck, he might be selling snake oil here. But he might not either.

Personally, I don't think this will end well - I've said that from the day we drafted him. But we drafted him, and if people should be mad at anyone it's not Royce White, it's Daryl Morey.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"For instance, if White's bus was delayed by weather while the team flight arrived on time and he missed a practice or shoot-around, he didn't want to be fined the same amount as a guy who overslept and missed it."

The way I see it, they didn't tell him to ride the damn buss and he was allowed on the flight, if he doesn't get there on time, it's on him. He sure as hell was able to fly to Houston today instead of staying put in Hidalgo to play a game....he can fly whenever he chooses to just fine.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I was saying that if a player missed the flight because they got stuck in traffic or the weather was bad and the rest of the team left without him, they'd still be expected to get there on time. If you want to be a professional, there is no excuse for not being on time.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The way I see it, you wait till the 2nd round to take a chance on a Royce White regardless of his skill set. Glad Morey has set precedence for other teams GM's not to follow in the future.

19. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

It's pointless to scapegoat one person and say they're the source of all the trouble. Royce White and Daryl Morey equally share the blame in this case. However, Morey only failed in picking the wrong player. After that, it's up to Rockets management to decide how to confront White. You can add the entire Houston Rockets organization in there if you're really interested in pointing fingers.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the reason they took a chance on him though. He lied to them and they chose to believe him. It was a high risk/high reward kind of move, it didn't work out, no big deal.