1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fair is fair

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spiegel, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If he keeps improving his finishing at the rim the rest of his game will come together

2. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I'm pretty sure Lin is gonna have some bad stretches of games again before the regular season ends, and provided that we do clinch that berth, we are yet to see his performance at the playoffs.

With that said does it change anything about his potential/future? Of course not, the kid is already shown he has the tools to become a perennial player for years to come.

It's only up to the Rockets if they can help him cultivate that.

3. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I hope you got your hands up because you're about to get swung on by one of these crazies...

But yeah, I agree.

4. verysimplejason

I also wish both LOFs and LOHs cease to exist. Just enjoy things.

5. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Lin doesn't need to play elite all the time, but it would be nice if he played a bit more consistently.

He's getting into a groove now though, McHale just needs to cultivate it by investing more trust into him.

I can understand limiting Lin and Omer's minutes because perhaps McHale doesn't think they're the best conditioned athletes (which imo is true) but sitting them ice cold and happily deferring their minutes to rooks on a regular game by game basis is another story.

Lin and Omer have their flaws but they play their roles exceedingly well.

6. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

Spiegel....I totally heart you. ;)

Consistency is the question for the rest of the season and into the playoffs. I hope the coaching staff can have the full trust in him.

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I don't expect Lin to improve much the rest of the season, except for his consistency. There are still flaws to his game.

- Need to learn how to fall for longivity reason.
    - Develop his teardrops
    - Learn how to vary speed going to the rim (now he has only one speed).
    - Learn how to use his body to protect the ball going to the basket (improved already this season).
    - Learn not to get caught up in the air with the ball.
    - Learn to read traps and how to get out of it.
    - Work on his stamina.
    - Faster release on shots.
    - Improve his catch and shoot

I am sure he knows his flaws and will work to improve his overall game this offseason.

1 person likes this.
  8. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Don't jinx it...

Yeah I'm sure he'll still have a couple of bad games this regular season.

9. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Honestly I think Lin can be Tony Parker 2.0 but with better defense as his ceiling in a few years.

Take into account this is basically Lin's first season playing consistent starter minutes.

Lin was straight up horrid the first half of the season, the fact he's at 44% FG and 33% 3-point currently really shows just how good he's been the 2nd half of the season.

Along with him having to learn a new role in playing off the ball next to a ball-dominant SG with all new teammates, I'd say he's doing great.

If he ends the season at 14/6 that will be solid for the season considering everything. He can only get better from this point.

10. thisiscaketown

We should be able to see the extent of Lin's potential if he doesn't get injured between now and the start of next season. Having more trust and familiarity with the other players should be better for his consistency and the team's consistency as well, since he and the team won't need to expend so much effort trying to do too much.

11. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

AFAIK Lin actually can shoot teardrops, he just hasn't tried them this season. I would like to see him attempt it more and read the situation inside the paint a bit better. Rather than trying to get it to Asik, the teardrop would be great when defenders crash in on him and if he misses Asik will be in a great position for the offensive putback.

I think his stamina and traps isn't something he can really remedy. Some people are just fitter than others. With his style of play he's going to struggle in B2Bs and with extensive minutes more than most. Of course this could be alleviated significantly if the Rockets pace slows down with a low-post scorer/ 2nd star.

On the issue of traps he just doesn't have the ball-handling ability and lateral quickness of other PGs to be able to excel at beating them - even Harden struggles with elite ball pressure - Their size and comparative lateral sluggishness has something to do with it - it's why PGs have always traditionally been smaller.

My biggest concern is the way he falls, for a Harvard grad his reckless abandon approach in this regard is quite stupid. I'd like to see him conserve his health a bit.

12. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Linsanity dude.

13. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

I don't get the Tony Parker comparison. I understand it in the context of them both being PGs, quick and aggressive but they're built differently.

Tony Parker is fast but he uses speed changes, has perfected his two-man game with Duncan and Splitter, and has excelled being drilled in Pop's system using his small frame and agility.

Lin is much more like Ginobili. Sure he doesn't have the circus passes nor the signature eurostep but they're both 6'3-6'4 which would make them larger primary ball-handlers at the guard position. They both play with reckless abandon in pursuing the hole and utilise their insane first step and straight-line speed to do so, and they both have play-making ability while being wired as home-run hitting scorers rather than play-makers. Then there's the issue of their stamina and ability to execute an offense in the half-court to the coach's liking.

14. Blaushark

Blaushark Member

I never thought Lin is that quick.....wow, impressive!

15. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

But the best comparison is arguably a rich man's Dragic. A lot of the older posters will probably hate on me for it but I see Lin as being Dragic with upside.

16. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

highfive!!!!!:grin:

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Lin fans that came along from his Knicks days. Will be on his tail. I will be one of them.

18. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Lin fans that came along from his Knicks days. Will be on his tail, if he starts slumping. I will be one of them.

19. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

This guy will be a legit all star

Mark my words

20. sean joh

sean joh Member

respect;)