1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's bad habit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Mar 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is it just me or does anyone else notice Harden dribbles it out for 15-20 seconds and pass it off to a much less capable scorer to pull off a last second shot? It was pretty evident with this most recent game but he seems to constantly put other teammates in a hole all season with this.

#1 fchowd0311, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It seems like people are reading my mind today. I lost my thread privileges for some stupid reason but I was going to start a thread on this and the midrange aspect.

Yes.

It is VERY annoying. If you are isoing like that and want to take that last shot don't pass it off with 1 second to go. If you want to get that person on an open look, do it with at least 4-5 seconds.

3. pho

pho Member

i disliked that he did it this time when the team was down 10 with 7-8 minutes to go. we needed fast points, and he slowed the pace down at that moment.

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's the reason i said again and again. he needs to play smart.

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

He's trying to be "unselfish" by passing it to someone else instead of taking it himself. Unfortunately he needs to quit the stupid dribbling and move the ball earlier in the shot clock .

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

That really ins't unselfish. That is actually more selfish. If you are going to dribble the ball for that long don't pass it off to a teammate so that they have to take that desperation shot. He wasn't doing this earlier in the season, this just has started to really be a big issue post all star break.

7. fchowd0311

Harden seems to have the same issue as Francis had back in the day. Dribble, Dribble, Dribble, create nothing, pass to guarded teammate with seconds left, teammate takes bad shot.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Yes, this is crap...

Plus we shoot 3s like they're goin outta style all season long, then down by 16or whatever points, we slow the ball down and try to work it inside...WTH is that!

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the huge difference btw harden and lin is harden is always trying to beat his man so he dribbled a lot or sometimes did fancy tricks to beat his man. it's a typical elite player's habit. well, on the other hand, lin is always looking for defense cracks to score. when he saw an opportunity, he accelerated. unfortunately, this is nba. sometimes, defenders were closing in faster than he expected. it is a reason we saw he was caught in the air with no place to go sometimes. but at least he tried to play smart instead beating his defender.

10. trowa2

trowa2 Member

sound like deron williams too me

11. aziankingz

aziankingz Member

How about Harden's lack of god damn defense? I think that is more of a concern?

12. dragonz

dragonz Member

He didn't pass because no one is open, if defender is focused and settled in, you have to do pick/cut/set plays to get someone open, unfortunately it is not our strong suite.

13. fchowd0311

Yes.. You can't entirely blame Harden on this also. This is on Mchale allowing players to be contempt with just staring at Harden while he dribbles air out of the ball. This team needs to learn how to do curls, screens and cuts.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That's the offense folks... Isos and pick n rolls... Once the defense tightens up, this is what happens... Dribble, dish, give back, dribble , dish, late second FG attempt

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That may have happened, (didn't see it) but he tries to look for an opening and when it is late in the clock he passes. He does it too often and it is a bad habit. If he wants to dominate the clock then he should commit to take the shot or stop before 5 seconds and give some time for someone to do something.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I refuse to complain about James Harden until another player on this team can average at least 19 points a game.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much.

The whole offense is dependent on Harden and Lin beating their guy off the dribble or using a pick at the top.

If they do not get the pick then they either pass around the perimeter and find someone whose willing to take the shot.

This is what they have been doing all year long, too long to break these habits. If the team had set plays with players moving and cutting trust when I say Harden would pass to those guys.

But since the offense is mostly ISO then crap like this happens.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Right, but his intention is to be unselfish. I've seen Lin pass to Harden or someone else with a few seconds on the shot clock a few times, Is he trying to be selfish when he does that? No. Is it the right decision? Of course not.

19. dookiester

dookiester Member

i thought this was going to be about how he always gets caught ball watching and leaves his man wide open. that's a lot more problematic for me than his offense.

20. fchowd0311

No player is above reproach.