1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin, Red Carpet in Austin, TEXAS (UPDATED with pics/video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you hear the cheers when I said Olajuwon?

Those who experienced Clutch City know that saying that word

"Olajuwon" to a Knicks fans, they can't say anything back with that much power

What? Ewing? Willis Reed? Carmelo?

They got nothing on "Olajuwon"

2. Fighton

Fighton Member

i'm sorry but this is such a load of BS. just look at the evidence in front of you and judge him by that.

he's not hiding behind anything. he has, ever since november when he was coming back from injury and in a slump, been the very first one to own up to his mistakes, over and over again. he's never said "well it's God's will that i'm sucking..". no, he is painfully frank with his short comings and owns up to them over and over again. he has never ducked out of interviews after a bad game, and has never placed any blame on the teams shortfalls other than on himself even if it wasn't warranted.

he worked HARD during the lockout to improve his game, which allowed linsanity to happen. you think he just sat around and played video games and think.. well if god wants me to play i'll play. No, he prepared himself well for when the time DOES come. and guess what, he had absolutely no control over his circumstances that lead up to linsanity. he played hard. got cut. played hard. sat on the bench. it took injury to others in order for him to get his chance, and it wasn't like he pulled a tonya harding.

so this whole idea that he's a passive participant in the happenings of his life is such a bull. it's precisely because of his faith that he is able to work hard and work through all the cuts that he's been through, regardless of how many setbacks he had to go through. it's his faith that allowed him to own up to his mistakes in public and not be shamed by it. it's his faith that allowed him to play hard while not knowing whether he'll even have a spot on a team.

how does his faith help him to do all this? because like he says, he's playing for god, and if god is the only one that he has to prove his worth to, then he really has nothing to prove. he knows precisely where he stands with his god. he's not playing for les, not for the city, not for the fans. he's playing for god and as long as he's giving his all, he's got nothing to hide.

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No, you are not sorry. You simply have problem reading.

Not only I've never mentioned Lin is not working hard, I've also stated he's "discrediting" himself.

No I did not say he has something to hide, what I said was he was hiding behind something, totally different.

It's funny you mentioned "evidence", the evidences that Ive seen so far is this timid young man attributes everything he does to God, he simply surrenders --- own up to it? No, precisely no. All he does is leave the consequences of action to this unproven deity and keep on doing what he's been doing, it's all god's plan folks.

Lin, if anything, has been passively aggressive when it comes to his own beliefs. He constantly dishes out bible references and acts like they are the universal truth.

I dont doubt his work ethic, he's well educated and well-spoken. But if he needs this blind faith to be successful on the court (not to mention he's not so successful this season), then all I can say is he's simply weak minded. Yes, you are weak if you leave everything to your space daddy to judge.

1 person likes this.
  4. VanityHalfBlack

Were the people in attendance made up of a bunch of film snobs and hipster douche faces?

5. Fighton

Fighton Member

you said that he's hiding behind something. obviously inferring that he is HIDING - in order not to be seen and be exposed. well, he has no issues exposing his flaws and owning up to his shortcomings in public. THAT'S not the definition of hiding behind something.

he's discrediting himself? no, he's just being honest and realistic. keep in mind - he has said IN PUBLIC that he believes he will be an all-star one day, so no, i don't think he's discrediting or doubting his own talent. he's simply acknowledging the fact that a lot of things happened outside of his control in order for linsanity to happen. you said it yourself - linsanity was a result of luck, timing, and other things. well he doesn't believe in luck. you do. both of you believe that things happened outside of his control.

don't confuse being humble with being timid. if he really was a timid young player he NEVER would've made it this far. in fact i doubt if you were in his shoes and walked the path that he did to get to the NBA you wouldn't have made it this far. and you don't think his play this season has anything to do with trying to figure out how to play with new players, in a new system, in the most demanding and confusing position on the team? i think what you're seeing isn't timidness (timidness don't get you 39 pts against the spurs or 21 and 9 in 3 quarters or....). what you're seeing is indecisiveness, which is a result of what i just mentioned, rather than an outward manifestation of his character.

you're a weak if you leave everything to be judged by others. one minute they praise you and the next minute they want to crucify you. you're always living to seek approval from others - you're a slave to others' opinions of you. he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him. he knows what his god thinks of him and that's all that matter to him. he's going to do what he believes he's put on earth to do and that's where real strength and conviction comes from.

stop reiterating tired rhetoric that you find on the internet discrediting people who believe in god. and stop judging lin based on what you see on the court over a few games. take the time to look at his whole journey and decide for yourself if what you're judging him to be is consistent with what he has shown.

6. Akim523

Akim523 Member

First you did not read properly, now you are spinning. Lin has attributed his rise and fall to God, he has brought up god's fingerprint on several occassions when questioned, he surrenders to God in almost every single interview.

Yes, it's called hiding.

yes he's been discrediting himself. Linsanity has nothing to do with God, him getting cut by 2 teams got nothing to do with God. He works hard, he's talented, thats how he got into this league, thats the foundation of Linsanity.

What I said in my post,well I actually CAPSLOCKED IT --- is HARD WORK! It's not "other things", without being a hard worker, without being actually talented, there would not be Linsanity --- Yi Jianlian had more fans, you know.

And please please please stop associate "luck", a term specifically designed to describe concidences happen to work in your favor, with religion.

Maybe I was wrong, you actually made a good point. Oh well, it remains to be seen.

If this is not on Clutchfans I would have thought you were a Justin Bieber fan. Oh well. I dont even know what to say...#bewell I guess

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Newbs and Newbier Newbs,

This ain't about religion. It's about the movie and what Lin said during the Q&A.

As far as I know, I'm the only one here who saw the movie, and yes, I hate to spoil it for you but Lin does talk about religion in the film.

I'll elaborate more on my review sometime later..

So you Michael Stipes, you need to start losing the religion talk on this thread

8. tinman

Supporting Member

well how do you think I got in?;)

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I'm simply commenting on his comment during the Q&A, its not about religion, its about his dedication to religion. I do think there's connection between his performance and his belief, thus my rant.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Bad analogy,

it's more like Snoop Dogg giving props to Tupac
    or Metallica giving props to Black Sabath
    or The Rock giving props to Hulk Hogan
    or Willie Nelson giving props to Johnny Cash
    or Danny Glover giving props to Mel Gibson

I'm just giving props to Jeff cause Jeff did this SXSW thing and gave us back some good pictures

#130 tinman, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. okguy456

okguy456 Contributing Member

haha screw this guy ^^^^

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I asked him about he handles the pressure for being the starting PG of the Rockets and playing for a playoff spot and I think he gave an honest answer.

If that's how he handles the pressure that's good for him. At least he's not going Michael Ray Richardson.

13. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Well said.

14. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Fair enough, I did not doubt his honesty either.

Thats the scary part. He honestly believe it's all God's doing --- including his disappointing 12-13 season.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

you might not like the documentary then.

16. Fighton

Fighton Member

spinning what? what's there to spin? of course he attributes linsanity to god's doing. i never said anything otherwise. he could work his butt off but without god opening doors for him and providing the opportunities there would no linsanity. i think that's where yours perspective and his perspective differ. you believe that he controls 100% of his own destiny. he believe he had no control over his destiny - he has control over his own responsibility of working hard and being ready. that's it. i don't understand how you perceive this to be "hiding". hiding from what? responsibility? when has he hid from his own short falls. tell me one interview where he said "i played a bad game but it's NOT on me, it's on god and if he wants me to play well i'll play well". he NEVER said this. he in fact said the opposite numerous times. let me ask you this - would there be linsanity if he was born in the slums of india without ever seeing a basketball game? if he was born blind or without limbs? of course not! now tell me again, how hard did he work to be born into modern day america and grow to be 6'3"?

look, you know he's a hard worker. now, if he really does believe that he has no responsibility in any of this, that everything is up to god whether or not he plays well, then why the hell would he bother working hard at all? don't you see you're contradicting himself?

since his worldview touches and influences everything that he does, he recognizes the opportunities and talent that he's been given (from god). he knows god had a plan for him. and he knows that it's his responsibility to make good use of the talent that he's been given, as well as the opportunities. and that's why he works hard. to please the one that gave him the talent and the opportunities. and he's competitive as hell. his worldview (or religion if you want to call it) doesn't make him play passive, weak, and unsure of himself. again, look at his nba journey and what he has chosen to do along the way. those aren't decisions of a passive, weak-minded person.

17. Fighton

Fighton Member

you're right. it's not about religion and my goal was never to argue about validity of a faith-based worldview, etc.

my only goal is to point out that his worldview and what he's trying to convey in his words and actions do NOT equate to him being passive and weak-minded, and contribute to his struggles this year. his struggles on the court this year has nothing to do with his world-view - in fact, his world-view allows him to go through his struggles without crumbling.

18. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Disappointing? According to most the team has overacheived this year. Seeing how Jeremy is all about team I doubt he's disappointed.

Are you disappointed about something?

19. RonJeremy

RonJeremy Member

The more hints you dropped about the documentary, the more it sounds like a religious documentary. I guess I will skip watching the documentary.

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Probably not, I dont think I will get to watch any time soon.