1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giants resign Luke Pettigout

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by coma, Feb 28, 2003.

1. coma

coma Contributing Member

I was hoping we could sign him and use our picks on other positions.

link

Taking care of business

Giants re-sign T Petitgout before he hits the open market

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Giants made sure their biggest free agent never reached the market by signing offensive tackle Luke Petitgout to a six-year contract just two hours before free-agency began.

"I certainly wanted to be a Giant so there wasn't any reason for me to look around if we could work out an agreement," Petitgout said Friday. "This is where I wanted to be."

Petitgout, 26, refused to discuss the financial terms of his contact, but sources close to the team, who requested anonymity said he got a signing bonus between $9 million and $10 million and an annual salary in the $5 million range.

Tom Condon, Petitgout's agent, and the Giants reached an agreement on Thursday, and Petitgout signed it about 10 p.m.

"I don't think there is a better team to go to right now than the New York Giants," Petitgout said. "I wasn't about to leave here for a couple of more bucks somewhere else, not that I would have gotten more somewhere else."

Even if he had become a free agent, Petitgout said he would have given the Giants the opportunity to match any offer.

"I never thought about leaving," Petitgout said. "I just figured the Giants would get it done from what I was hearing, and that's the way it worked out."

The Giants' first-round draft pick in 1999, Petitgout may have had his best season in 2002 after making the move from right tackle to the left side. The former Notre Dame product allowed only one sack last season on a young offensive line that helped Tiki Barber rush for a career-best 1,387 yards.

"Luke was a very high priority as far as our own unrestricted free agents were concerned, and we were aware of a lot of interest in him around the league," general manager Ernie Accorsi said. "We are pleased that we kept him off the market and secured his future here."

Coach Jim Fassel said re-signing Petitgout was important coming off a season when the offensive line made major strides in helping the team post a 10-6 record and make the playoffs.

"I think the first step toward maintaining our success is to keep our own players, so it was important for us to re-sign Luke," Fassel said. "Luke played very well for us last year. He shoulders a big responsibility over on the left side, protecting Kerry Collins' blind side."

Petitgout has started 48 straight games for the Giants.

Petitgout's signing comes just days after the team restructured the contract of defensive end Kenny Holmes, a move that gave the Giants an extra $2 million for the salary cap.

Two other members of the offensive line remain free agents -- right tackle Mike Rosenthal and right guard Jason Whittle. Receiver Ike Hilliard, safety Omar Stoutmire and backup tight end Dan Campbell, who played a lot as a blocking back, also are free agents.

Whittle is expected to re-sign, but Rosenthal might be a little more difficult because of what the Giants consider a high asking price.