1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's Rookie Award is in jeopardy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skymaster187, Feb 28, 2003.

1. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

Yao Ming will not get rookie of the year If the Rockets do not make the playoffs.

Here is why....If Amare and The Suns make it in the playoffs you can bet even though Yao is more deserving Amare will be Rookie of the year.

It is sad but very true it is not just about points per game or rebounds but winning games.
    If Amare is still playing while Yao is on vacation the voters will go with Amare.

Anyone think they will have another Co-rookie?

Is their any other Rookies more deserving for the award than Yao or Amare?

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

to me a roy would only be icing on the cake. Who gives a damn if he were to recieve it and we didn't make the playoffs. This is a team game and therefore goals should be team oriented. R.O.Y. is predicated mainly on individual statistics, but with a modicum of interest placed on how well the team did. I want the playoffs, everthing else is secondary.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Phoenix makes it over the Rocks, Amare deserves it over Yao.

It is a team sport and TEAM success should be factored into the equation.

Heck, Phoenix and Marbury are a carbon copy of Houston and Francis.

DD

4. winwook

winwook Member

I think Yao wouldn't care too much about the ROY award if the Rockets don't make the playoffs. He doesn't seem like a guy who gets too jazzed up about individual accolades. It would certainly be nice, but if Phoenix makes the playoffs, the best Yao could hope for is co-ROY (unless Amare tanks it the rest of the season). On any other team (aside from the Lakers), Yao would be a lock for ROY. Sad, but true.

5. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

People in St. Louis would be in favor of that.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Phoenix and Marbury/Amare are a carbon copy of Houston and Francis/Yao, true. Then there is Phoenix and Marion (All Star) and the Rockets have.....um....they have....um...yeah.

Nevertheless, no question that a case can be made that the rookie that propells his team into the playoffs helped his team the most and has a claim to the award.

However, I truely believe that this year they will do what they did in the past with Kidd/Hill and Francis/Brand and give the ROY to BOTH Amare (High Schooler) and Yao (Chinese Sensation). It makes sense for both players. BOTH players have put up incredible numbers. Both had to work hard, Amare from High School, and Yao from the other side of the world. It would be a DISSERVICE to either player if they are not included in this award in my opinion.

Chris

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Just a quick point - the last votes for the Rookie of the year are sent out via mail before the last game of the season (I am not sure of the exact deadline). So assuming the Rox and the Suns are still tied with 2 games to go, many if not all the voters will not have to opportunity to know who makes it to the playoffs before casting their votes. You get my drift?

Also many of the voters usually make up thier minds early - as early as 2-3 weeks before the end of the season.

Yao is the presently the Front Runner (for many reasons) but there are 2 matches that will go a long way in sealling it for him; Houston versus Phoenix and Houston versus LA. These 2 games are our final meetings with both teams, and if the standing remains the same as it is now you can bet that both games will be on national tv. So watch out for those huge match-ups.

8. Toast

Toast Member

That's not NECESSARILY true. Francis & Brand were co-ROY when neither of their teams went to the playoffs.

9. Quakes

Quakes Member

No way. If the season ended today, at worst Yao and Amare will be co-ROYs.

Conventional bball stats-wise, both are dead-even... some can argue Yao's a little ahead. However, you have to consider other on-court tangibles that aren't easily measured like Yao's defensive intimidation, how he sucks up defenders on offense and his game vision. On these benchmarks, Yao is far ahead.

Let's not forget how he's single-handedly drawing crowds and accolades at every city/arena he visits, bringing moolah to every franchise. Take into account his humility, popularity and affable nature which makes him a great role model to aspiring players not only outside of the US, but also in this country. He's helped the NBA continue to globalize. And then there's the All-Star start.

Not that I think Yao will care because he seems like a very team-oriented guy, but if Yao isn't at least co-Rook with Amare (who's already been suspended a game for disciplinary reasons), then that would be farce.

10. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Deuce- Why do you always put your name at the end of your posts?

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Is it bothering you?

:confused:

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Because my name is Chris and it is a habit to sign my name after putting my thoughts down in a post.

To be honest, I am quite puzzled why you would ask that question. :confused:

Chris

13. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

SEE!! DO NOT HATE ME.

Yeah. Whichever team makes the playoffs will have the winner of the Rookie of the Year award. Yao is better. :) Amare will be better as well. WE BETTER MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Maybe they will be corookies.

14. mycatuity

mycatuity Member

why we cared the roy so much when Yao himself doesn't give a
    sh*t about it?

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Who gives a f---?

:mad:

16. ming1111

ming1111 Member

Actually I believe it is political. I think at this point Yao deserves it but if the Suns make the playoffs and the Roxs don't then Amare should get it but heres what I mean by politics. Yao has more commercials and many more fans. He is an all-star so that helps him. Don't get me wrong I want Yao to get it but remember he is in the worlds eye much more than 18 yr old Stoudamire....:)

17. silvercatt

silvercatt Contributing Member

Amare is 20 yo