1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CSN] McHale after Rockets' tough loss to Mavericks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tminusrex, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

You can prove that theory by doing this

Wait for a win then create a poll if people want to keep mchale as a coach next season :D

I have a good feeling that there will still be more votes towards No... :D

2. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

This makes me so sad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

man, brooks is short

4. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

For a couple minutes PB and TRob was working. But there were a few stretches where Lin and Asik were also effective. Dallas was constantly switching things up ... they weren't doing the same thing the whole game. They were making adjustments to counter what PB and TRob were doing.

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

McHale is pretty much saying that benching Lin is a non-event. Not even worth an explanation. Smh. I guess we should expect this much more often.

6. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

Maybe Les should call McHale and say: Hey Kevin, I know you are trying to
    one up on Morey, but we are trying to win here, can you stop trying to hit
    home runs with the backups? :p

7. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Mchale is clearly the reason Dallas has been beating us this year. Carlisle knows he can throw out small lineups against us because Mchale will always pull the exact same thing by trying to match up small on small. Its like he's losing the chess match the same way every time because he's too dumb to realize his mistakes.

8. glitch273

glitch273 Member

Lin has been put in a position where he simply cannot win.

His amazing performance against OKC? Instead of getting praised, McHale called Lin out for being selfish for getting his own shots. Anyone who has watched Lin play knows this is not true.

His amazing performance against this same Dallas team just 3 days ago which made Dallas bench their starting point guard Darren Collison because he could not defend Lin? Already forgotten by Coach McHale.

Lin as your starting point guard got you to the 7th spot in the West. Instead of getting the benefit of the doubt, McHale seems to be looking for any reason to bench Lin. This game especially made it more clear that McHale has no confidence in Lin. MVP candidate Tony Parker is shooting around 50% from the field for the first seed San Antonio Spurs. Michael Jordan's career fg% is 49.7%. Jeremy Lin was shooting 50% on 5 of 10 shots tonight against Dallas. How well does Jeremy need to play in order to earn playing time in the fourth? What exactly is Coach McHale expecting of Jeremy Lin?

9. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

MCHale is so predictable...
    the other coaches are probably taking advantage on that..
    his post-game comments are also predictable...

10. jacky c

jacky c Member

From the standpoint of McHale, I think he's right about everything. Just listened to his interviews and wordings. Mostly implying,

- I am one of the GOAT, I dominated the NBA when you guys(players, journalists, management or fans)even didn't start watching basketball, what makes you think you are going to have a better assessment of my own players?

- As you all know, this team is too young, they always made mistakes. I overachieved a lot, didn't you guys see that? The youngest team with ~45 mil, always changing roster and a max cap available and I got you a playoff spot. What else you want me to do, championship? My players accounted for all the losses, young players always fluctuated in performances. Give me Harden, Lebron, Durant and I guarantee you a ring!

- By the way, I am overachieving with scrubs like Lin who can't defend and shoot, just an overpaid scrub that I decided to cut him back in December. And you forced me to play him as a starter? Fortunately, I got Harden which can do all the stuff by himself, just give him the damn ball and he will get me wins! Jeremy! Don't try too much, you will get more turnovers and cost us the game! Remember, we are trying to win the game rather than give you time to fill your stat line.

- Asik will be exposed if I put him in there, he's slow and cannot make a difference. He's a blue collar rebounder at best. But can't shoot at FT line. We are so afraid of Heck-A-Asik. It's ironic he played for me, one of the GOAT big man!

Honestly, he can't have an issue with any of his players. Cause he's one of the GOAT, if you are HOF, would you bother with someone like Lin?Asik? Barely made an impact in NBA? Come on, like the 1st time Kobe playing Lin, "Would you consider guarding him?""Jesus Christ".:grin:

Sometimes, the past glory would put a thick glasses in front of your eyes. While coaches with years of experiences and reputation still blame themselves for losses even though the players failed them hard (Dantoni, Thibodeau,etc), would it be better for you to take 1 game on your shoulder for once and the players probably fight harder for you the next game.:p

11. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

[​IMG]

12. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Funny how Morey made fun of McHale haters on twitter but doesn't have the balls to tweet about tonight's game

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The conspiracy has been discovered! MT @<a href="https://twitter.com/lionyank">lionyank</a> not sure what in mind for Lin, looks like minimize min: 2nd straight gm Lin not playing 4th</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/308407930649206784">March 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. jacky c

jacky c Member

I hope my baby tells me this in the near future! Looking forward to it:grin:

14. Habs

Habs Member

The problem isn't whether McHale can be fired or not.

The problem for the Rockets through this rebuilding phase and the known fact that Morey is quick to pull the trigger on trades, is whether a coach that's better than McHale would even want to coach this team.

Adelman didn't want to do it, though he ended up in a worse situation in Minnesota on a team that's riddled with injuries the past couple seasons. Which available coaches could the Rockets legitimately get that you know would definitely be an improvement over McHale? There aren't many.

Phil Jackson? He wouldn't want to an 8th seed team with this type of roster instability. Especially with a GM that's not going to give him the same say he had in LA.

Jerry Sloan? He wouldn't want to an 8th seed team with this type of roster instability. Especially with a GM that's not going to give him the same say he had in Utah.

Jeff Van Gundy? Rockets had him, fired him for Adelman. He has a close relationship with Morey, but watching the Jeff Van Gundy offense sputter and the team struggle to score in the 4th quarter despite having Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming on the floor at the same time was ridiculous. It's probably no more mind boggling than McHale's 3rd to 4th quarter substitution patterns.

Stan Van Gundy? Possibility. Coached the Magic to the Finals, had good results with the Heat. Can't deny that his teams win a lot, but he tends to irritate his star players before he can win that Championship. I doubt you'd see Lin flourish under Van Gundy anymore than with McHale.

Sam Mitchell? Toronto fans hated him, now would love to have him back after watching Casey's substitution patterns (which make McHale look like a genius). Players respect him, a real player's coach aside from that 1 time he fought Rafer Alston. Toronto hasn't been near as successful since he got fired. Won Coach of The Year with them in 2007 when he got an average roster to over achieve.

Flip Saunders? Was seen as a very reputable coach. Then he inherited an NBA Championship team after Larry Brown left, it had the best starting 5 in the NBA. The lineup he inherited could have doubles as the all NBA-Defensive team with tough players that rarely ever missed games giving lots of roster stability, with 4 All-star players. They didn't get to the Finals again. They were dominate in the East under Brown, under Saunders they became over taken by Miami, then Boston, and Cleveland. Worse than McHale.

Mike Brown? Worse than McHale.

Alvin Gentry? Interesting choice. Mike D'Antoni disciple, plays the run & gun fast paced game Les Alexander wants his team to have, and had success with the Suns. Lin would flourish under Gentry. He got fired for dubious reasons after the Suns gutted what was an NBA contending team.

Possible potential candidates come 2013-14: Dwayne Casey, Mike D'Antoni, Lawrence Frank.

On this list, the only Coaches that would come to the Rockets, and you could say, "Hey, that's a coach we could get that'll likely do a better job than McHale and has proven to be good" is really Gentry, and the 2 Van Gundy's.

15. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Dantoni is proven. You can see with the Knicks drop off that their roster isn't really as good as the hype makes it out to be.
    Lakers are turning the corner but their roster is old and slow.
    We have a nice roster to run the style Dantoni likes. He'd be great.

16. Curtanne6

Curtanne6 Rookie

Of course he will not entertain any question when it comes to LIN coz Mchale is so damn guilty about benching Lin...The intention was clear here, Mchale just want to prove the Houston management that they're not wrong in releasing Jlin last season...that Jlin is not a legitimate player that can play Basketball...If Jlin can have a freedom like in NY, Houston will get the best of him...but unfortunately somebody is preventing that to happen...Or maybe Mchale is just controlling Jlins game so that we will see the improvement of Jlin's game through out the season and we will think that Mchale is the main reason for that maturity...job well done Mchale! your the best coach for 2013 :cool:

17. strifed169

strifed169 Member

McHale is ruining games for Rocket's fans in losing and benching their players who deserve more playing time, I hate him, seriously.

18. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Perhaps, since the "Fire McHale" thread was started last year when we still had Dragic and Lowry.

So back then people were complaining about him and even after the roster overhaul we're still complaining about him and nothing has changed.

19. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Reminds me of that year when when Dallas lost to Golden State. GS went small as well and rather than exploit it, they tried too to adjust.

20. wapz

wapz Member

so close to the 6th spot....