1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I watched the game, I thought Robinson and Beverley played great.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Counting down the days to SVG.

It's not just about Lin. On our easy stretch, going 2-3 against teams below .500. After last year's collapse. Going to the same iso-ball that's failed down the stretch. Not having BOTH Lin and Asik for the 4th quarter (a guy to man the defense and a guy to set up the offense). Playing a rookie down the stretch after only being traded to the Rockets 4 games ago. And playing a bench spark who played decent, for 15+ minutes non-stop (ie taking a good thing way too far) ...

Ridiculous. I've refrained from posting in this thread, but almost 60 games in the season and still repeating the same mistakes that's blown up in his face much more often than not. And playing small down the stretch again ...

3. davek

davek Member

As much as I love ripping McHale....and I am a JLin fan....Beverly played better defensively....and a huge factor for the close game.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

How about ASIK!??! why does he hate Asik?

5. grauser01

grauser01 Member

Great? :grin: Good, but not great.
    If they played great how did Asik and Lin played? Super great?

6. figment

figment Member

I've seen pre-2012 folks get called LOF, so I don't think that actually matters anymore.

7. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Even the Lakers put Dwight on the floor to close out games. Not like the Rockets primary offense is to post up their 5 and regularly expose him to getting hacked. But you know, rebounding would've helped

8. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

As someone said in twitter, so if lin is playing well his minutes depend on Beverly?? Who is the starter here?? Beverly was NOT playing well enough to sub your starter! I gave McHale the benefit of the doubt after the bucks game, but tonight it stunk.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's semantic differences. They played well. Period.

10. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

McHale is famous for matching the size of his opposition's lineup, so... As for Lin, why is saying McHale not trusting Lin so insulting to you? Didn't know not trusting = hate. If you don't think much of Lin, then why can't the coach do the same as well?

But don't worry, Morey will get a trade done in the offseason. I can see it coming.

11. davek

davek Member

Today I like to blame the loss to DMO he already forgotten his role. Put this guy back on the bench or D-league again.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am perplexed why McHale didn't play Lin at all in the 4th. You have to give your starter a chance to drive home the victory. Or just make Bev that sarte then.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

What are you talking about?

I was responding to BleedRed's comments claiming McHale wants Lin out of the team.

Stop inferring things I never said.

14. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

As bad as he is playi g this, he is in because he is Dwight and Asik is not of that caliber. Second, Robinson was rebounding pretty well. Bev played defense fine, but his game tonight did not justify benching your starter all of the 4thquarter, plan and simple. Look bev wasn't playing like he did the bucks game, if this is all it takes from Beverly for McHale to bench Lin the entire 4th quarter then he obviously does not think very highly of Lin

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Asik isn't Howard. There has been no hack an Asik strategy employed to my recollection, and Asik hasn't obviously shot worse on FTs in 4th quarters compared to the 1st 3 quarters. Howard is another issue. It's in his head, and it impacts the whole team. Asik hadn't shot well on FTs during the game, but there has been no attempt of any hack an Asik, and certainly Asik didn't need to sit out the whole 4th quarter.

Lin would've been 15 points and 3 assists (and 3TOs) heading into the 4th quarter had the 3pt shot counted. He was somebody the defense had to account for. Beverley was 0-1 and ended 0-2. Lin absolutely manhandled Collison the last game, to the extent Collison started on the bench today. Yet, he couldn't get off the bench in the entire 4th quarter.

So McHale sits a guy that got you 37 points, 12 assists, on 14-24 FGs and 3-7 3ptFGs (I'm counting that 3 that was clearly shot before time expired) in 50 minutes on the two games against the same opponent, and you let him sit on the entire 4th quarter, for someone who got 9 points, 10 assists, on 2-7 FGs, and 0-1 on 3ptFGs in 48min played over the same stretch.

Good job McHale.

And LOHs say it was clearly a good decision. McHale shall not be blamed.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you remember him from Summer League or watched him play overseas, this is normal, and a big reason why he fell in the draft. He's going to lay some duds, and has had some confidence problems over the years with his game where when he's mentally not there .... well, its not pretty.

He's be ok, and bounce back next game. He has actually been way better at this from what we have seen this year with his D-League play. The dud games seem to be less frequent.

We probably wont get that consistency till next season with a year in the NBA under his belt. Still has alot of growing up to do mentally in this league.

Still love his talent and his future with this team. Its just going to be alot of peaks and valleys the rest of the season.

17. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

We're living in Bizarro World, homie.

If it hasn't already been clear as McHale's pale skin, the guy would rather not play Jeremy Lin if he didn't have to.

18. Raven

Raven Member

At this point, I'm so sick of the Lin and McHale drama, I hope neither one is back next season.

19. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

You claim BleedRed said McHale hates Lin, but he didn't say that. He said McHale doesn't want him in the game. So who are the one inferring here? :rolleyes:

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm guessing you can't read. Here let me highlight it for you.