1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "You have to ask Daryl."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 2, 2013.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I don't like the trade only because I believe that Morris was worth a first, (I've been saying since the start of the season that Phoenix would take Morris for a pick in a marketing move while they rebuild) he is going to blow up in Phoenix.

And the other reason is we broke up the chemistry of this team, and what was working, to an extent, and added nothing to help our playoff drive.

That being said, Tank Robinson could become an athletic Chuck Hayes, or more, and make us all look back with joy upon this trade in the future...

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

A first round pick counts towards the cap.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

There were rumors Les had wanted to fire Adelman two years before he left. Morey even said himself that Les had wanted to fire Adelman at the start of his last season.

4. Blaushark

Blaushark Member

Rockets is a team in progress. Its almost there. There will be a few changes this summer then it should settle. After that, the real coach will join in. Now is just a transition.... Lin and Asik were the start of the transition but getting Harden made the progress a lot faster. To be above .500 now is a bonus and to get into the play off will be outstanding.

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

And I guess this is where the win now versus win later debate starts.

Adelman, barring no injuries, always has his teams ready to be playoff ready. He's a proven winner wherever he coaches.

I think he was on a different page in terms of rebuilding. Morey wanted to start over...Rick wanted to keep pushing.

Rick's offense with our current roster would be amazing.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey claimed he had to talk Les out of firing Adelman.

7. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

That's why McHale is a horrible GM, very short-sighted.

As a coach, it's relatively ok to be short-sighted. But Morey just took his crutch of depending on relatively low-upside but very solid players like 2Pat away.

How can you question a GM, even if you're not high on Lin over Dragic, Morey still delivered you Harden, Asik, Parsons, DMo, a lot better than you ever did as GM and he didn't need to do under the table arrangements that cost 3 future 1st round picks.

#187 mike_lu, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  8. AbrahamLincoln

I really hope people don't expect McHale to be gone next season because the amount of threads/posts about firing him will triple when he is still around next season. If we make the playoffs I'm quite sure he will be coaching here next season. If we don't make the playoffs he has a strong case to make that Morey's deadline deal is the reason why.

I see us making the playoffs, and I can see him here next season.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How many winning aeasons has mchale presided over as a coach or gm? Guys a certified loser when it comea to coaching or being gm/president.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If this turns out to be true, it will be one of the greatest achievements in the history of mankind since man walked on the moon.

When it comes to defensive footwork and positioning, Chuck Hayes is one of the best bigs in the game.

I watched Robinson's footwork on defense and frankly it made me cringe and cry.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

12. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

He should have said that our objective is to eventually field a contender and that we're doing what we felt needed to be done. It's tough with a bunch of young players that don't know each other but that we're very excited. What was he thinking when he said that?
    I am really curious how much the coaching staff and ownership see eye to eye on various issues. I can understand that getting rid of both your pf's can be rough especially if you were left out of the loop as McHale seemed to have been, but he can't be that blind to the job Morey has done, can he?

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You can always question a GM. Morey was not that good early on. Yeah he rapped New York for picks and stuff for Tmac but in hindsight it wasn't as big a rape as we thought because Jordan Hill didn't amount to anything for us. Still Tmac was a throw away and we got something for it. But my point is early on he had more failures then successes.

Hell I did better than him early on. I wanted Nicolas Batum. If anyone can check history it is easily verifiable. Instead we got Dorsey and Greene and Morey proclaimed Dorsey as the new NBA prototypical center. Ha ha

The Next year I desperately wanted larry sanders again verfiable on this board, and we got PPat. Now I grew to love PPat and still think he will be a great off the bench player but you can see what morey thought of him as a starter.

Last year Morey wanted Morris believing he could play the 3 and I desperately wanted Leonard thinking he would never drop but when he did I immediately started a thread saying and the Rockets choose Kawhi Leonard YEAH!!!! and everyone ridiculed me here for a couple of weeks. Well we know what happen with that pick and all we have to show is a 2nd round pick instead of Leonard. Imagine Parsons and Leonard at the 3. We would be set at that spot for years.

This past year I wasn't so sure who to pick but of the people I thought would drop I wanted Henson and Meyer Leonards and I thought Leonard would drop before henson would so when we moved up to 12 I thought we should definitely had a shot at one of those guys. I never wanted lamb. Never. I think he is fools gold. Yeah he did look good in the summer league but he is a one dimensional player IMO. So that one is still up for debate. But I will be surprised if he has a better carreer than the 2 I wanted.

Also I wanted Nicholson if we didn't get a big and I was afraid of Royce white. I agreed he looked good in college and certainly a lottery pick if he had his head on straight but he didn't. And for me the biggest thing with him was not the fear of flying which was an issue for me. But the fact he was a thief i High school and college and he didn't seem to have much remorse. Plus while he was an amazing all around player. He didn't seem to relish the team play as much as he loved being the star. So he had red flags everywhere for me but when Morey drafted him I hoped my red flags where wrong.

Everything I have said on here is verifiable on this board with the exception of Nicholson but I wasn't posting much last summer so didn't get around to posting that.

My point here is if I was the GM instead of Morey we would have had Batum Leonard and Sanders Nicholson and Henson as opposed to Donte Greene Patterson Morris Lamb and Royce White. I think it is fair to say my picks are better.

Still I won't take away Moreys ability to steal the deal. He has done it several times and it is what he is best at. I think his stats do help in evaluating talent already contributing in the NBA. But he seems to suck evaluating college talent. Yeah I know there is the incredible steal of Chandler Parsons. He deserves that. But even a broken clock is right twice a day and mostly he has missed the boat on 1st round picks and even some seconds like Dorsey instead of Dejuan Blair.

#193 Old Man Rock, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Why would an owner who has little bball knowledge wanted to fire a HC? It was no big secret that it was Morey who never saw eye to eye with Adelman and wanted him gone. If Les wanted him gone, it was by the advisory of Morey.

Not making playoffs will NOT get McHale fired (not many expected PO).
    All the media negativities will NOT get McHale fired (losing a love one).
    Bad in-game rotations will NOT get McHale fired (hindsight is 20/20).
    Not taking accountability for his coaching will NOT get him fired (not many do these days).

McHale had issues with players last season. He blamed those issues on a shortened season. If a player is not on Mchale's trust list, then he on his shet list. I have no doubt being a HOF inflated his ego as a coach. McHale does not respect players on his shet list. Morey sent those players (Lowry and Bud to name two) packing last offseason. Morey had his back.

However, I believe McHale is on a short leash. I addressed this preseason that I didn't mind a losing season. Nor I cared much about playoffs with this young team, but if we keep losing young talents because McHale has more "issues," it will send me to the deep end!

I believe IF McHale has issues with players this season, this WILL earn him an early contract termination. FIRE him if he does.

No more losing players due to McHale has 'issues' with them. Enough is enough!

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Morey wanted Adelman to stay. It was the same story with JVG.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Wow ....... Where is the epic stare down from Mchale vs. Morey?

17. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Soon DM will show him the door.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Predicting how college players will perform in the NBA is extremely hard since it's such a different game. College game is so much slower.

19. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Not only media darlings but the Vegas Darlings as well. Rockets are one of the safest bets in Vegas because they don't play a lot of close games!

20. iamthejustness

Job security seems to be a prevalent issue amongst head coaches of multiple professional sports.