1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve's street cred

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UT Baller, Feb 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I just got finished reading an article on ESPN about street cred and was wondering where the Franchise would rank (ie does he have "it" or not?). All i really know about Steve is that he from the DC area (rough streets in that neck of the woods) in Maryland and that he was raised by his grandmother. The question is though is Steve street or not?

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

I think he got his nickname from the streets.

3. GranvilleWaders

He definitely plays sometimes like he is from the streets!!

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Steve got his nickname playing at a youth center, didn't he? That's not really from the streets.

5. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Do you really care if he's street or not? What difference does it make? I wonder if Yao has 'street cred'?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

He still plays street ball out here in DC, but it's not like street ball as most people would imagine it. He's not doing push ups after a loss or anything.

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Yao NEEDS the FUNK!!!

8. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Franchise is definitely "street". He has the turnovers to prove it :rolleyes:

9. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

I saw a street ball special on MTV where Steve and Cat played at the famous Rucker Park in Harlem, NY. Steve is much loved in the street ball arena. I can tell the guy loves practicing the street ball moves. He regularly does Skip to my Lou's skipping motion as he dribbles up the court. Then last night, he did a behind the back pass to himself that pissed off Rudy.

10. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I know he plays street, but so do Kobe/Vince/JWill but doesn't make them street.

11. carayip

carayip Member

Jason Williams is "street" no doubt but I personally don't think Kobe and Vince are "street".

12. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

Depends, Kobe could be considered street if you're talking about Italian street. Vince, wasn't he going to some sort of preppy high school?

13. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I'd say Ron Artest has some street cred.
    That guy is a bad man. Got to love him.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Street? Who cares..

Kobe not street...nope, he has another name.....WORLD CHAMPION

DD

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What matters is what happens on the pine. On the hard wood court, in the NBA season. Who cares about street.

16. rocketsball2003

you know he is street... he plays at the park with all the fools from around my hood:rolleyes:

he even told me "you can stay at my crib, ill show you my hood"

17. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Nobody is really legit street anymore...you ain't street if you go to college, man. The only name that really pops into my mind is Alston. Also, didn't Paul Pierce get stabbed for his jewels? I think that automatically makes him street. Maybe Iverson.

If you're lookin for cats who made it from the gutter, you gotta go back a little bit. Barkley didnt come from much I dont think, neither did Drexler.

But if you're talkin about street style, definitely all the new superstars. Kobe, Franchise, Tmac, Ricky Davis, theres a crapload of others. Vince went to some wealthy private school, that fool doesn't count.

18. Alirules

Alirules Member

when u play in the street you become fearless.
    Thats why stret players don't mind taking and making last second shots because they love the challenge

19. Miggidy Markell

Didn't KG get scouted from the play grounds?

20. rocketsball2003

wasnt it v carter who jumped over that one dude... you gotta get street cred for that