1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

No ****, makes me sick.

2. koochingchang

koochingchang Member

scionxa, can I just get the league pass mobile and connect via microhdmi to my tv?

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I literally do not know what I'd do if we got the channel now. I would completely freak out and focus with such intensity at every play since it's been so f'ing long since I've seen them play. THIS SUUUUUUUUUCKS!

1 person likes this.
  4. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys have unfortunately missed one of the most exciting seasons in Rockets history, and now with the young PFs getting the bulk of the minutes, your lives suck even worse...;)

There are no advantages to living in Delaware except getting to watch Rockets' games on NBALP.

#3164 arif1127, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know, I'm just messing with you.

And providing commentary on the irony of how many technical hoops you have to jump through just for the ability to watch the Houston Rockets on TV in Houston, TX.

7. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Better luck next season non comcast subsribers, will do this petition again next season, see if we get more in, if not, then don't expect any changes.

8. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

I have a feeling there will be some movement before the Lastros start...until then it's either crappy eastern European links or trying to figure out how to hide your ip address.

9. wadero

wadero Member

Anyone got a sling box I could use?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2013/02/27/tv-deprivation-begins-for-many-astros-fans/

At high noon Thursday CST, the Astros play the Yankees in the team’s first exhibition game on its new television partner, Comcast SportsNet Houston.

And with that, CSN Houston’s carriage issues enter a new era that may not be more intense for fans but certainly will be more widespread in its impact.

Unlike the Rockets’ broadcast territory, which is limited under NBA rules, Astros games can be seen on CSN Houston across a five-state area … except in areas where they’re not available, which at the moment is most of Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas and New Mexico.

That means the clock is ticking toward opening day not only for customers of national providers like DirecTV, Dish Network and AT&T U-verse but for customers of Time Warner, Suddenlink, Cable One and other cable systems from Albuquerque to New Orleans and from Laredo to Tulsa that have had access to Astros games for decades.

“The urgency to get distribution has been the same for the last year,” said Matt Hutchings, CSN Houston’s president. “What this does is elevate the energy and, we hope, demand for the channel.

“The Astros have always had a tremendous following across the five-state area, and the urgency is now with the providers and elevates the level of communications, I am certain, from their customers.”

Money remains the issue for companies that service about 60 percent of Houston’s 2.2 million TV households that don’t carry CSN Houston and, now, cable systems across five states.

Providers are unwilling to pay CSN Houston’s monthly subscriber fee, estimated to be an average of $3.40 per month (network officials refuse to confirm that), even though customers will not get Astros games they have seen for years on Fox Sports Southwest.

“We want a fair market deal,” Hutchings said. “We felt when we signed that we were asking a fair rate for a network with two pro teams, and now we’ve added the Dynamo.”

Good news, Padres fans
    As Dish Network continues to negotiate with CSN Houston, it announced it has picked up Fox Sports San Diego, which airs Padres games. DirecTV also announced it would pick up FS San Diego’s full lineup.

“No disrespect intended to Fox and the Padres, but why would providers launch a network with essentially one pro team in a smaller geographic location and not launch this network?” Hutchings said, adding, “They are not valuing the local fan base.”

Spokespeople for DirecTV, Dish Network and Suddenlink had no comment on negotiations. A U-verse spokesman said: “Customers aren’t getting anything materially new or different. … The programming is largely the same team games that were previously available on other channels we already carry.”

Carriage issues have already had financial consequences for the network partners — the Rockets, Astros and NBC Sports Group. Based on the $3.40 monthly estimated average carriage fee and estimates by industry analysis firm SNL Kagan that DirecTV, Dish Network and AT&T U-verse have about 970,000 customers in the 20-county Houston area, the CSN Houston partners have missed out on $16.5 million in potential revenue since the channel launched in October 2012.

Even at $2.88, which SNL Kagan says is the median point for RSN subscriber fees, potential lost revenue from those three carriers alone would total about $14 million.

Without full distribution, Nielsen ratings for Rockets games on CSN Houston are tied for next-to-last in the NBA with an average audience of 0.9 percent and 20,200 households, according to Sports Business Journal. That’s down 63 percent from the 2010-11 season, the largest drop in the NBA, and consistent with the reduced availability.

Rockets CEO Tad Brown said the addition of Astros and Dynamo games adds “critical mass” to the network’s offerings and expands the geographic area where fans will not have access to daily games.

Discussions ongoing
    “There’s been intensity across the entire negotiating period,” Brown said. “We want to get something done immediately. We’ve been in constant conversations, we continue to have constant conversations, and it’s time to get something done.”

Astros president George Postolos said team officials are excited about the team’s debut on CSN Houston and determined to keep negotiating for what he feels is a fair market rate for the network.

“It has to be right for the long term,” he said. “We need to get a fair market rate.”

The Astros’ departure from FS Southwest, which is available in 9 million households and, according to SNL Kagan, had $303 million in revenue in 2012, clears the way for FSS to air a full slate of Texas Rangers games in Houston as the teams compete in the American League West and vie for attention across the Astros’ traditional fan strongholds in Central and South Texas.

As he has done in the past, Hutchings acknowledged that fans are inconvenienced by the inability to cut carriage deals.

“It’s not fun for the fans, for the teams or for us,” he said. “We understand that people are angry and confused and upset, and we are trying to get the facts to them and to get these deals done as fast as possible.”

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

toadie :rolleyes:

I did fine with my free pixilated video stream. I just run 3 malware sweeps and take an antibiotic after the game.

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, b/c the Astros upcoming debacle of a season will cause the necessary groundswell for providers to pick up CSN. If anything, it makes it easier for people to give even less of a sh&t about the Astros. The Astros should be putting themselves in every household in those 5 states for free, b/c they aren't worth paying to watch. This just gets more ridiculous with each passing day.

13. MadMax

You may have missed the point here. Because of their TV footprint, the Astros have been shown (for a very long time) in 5 different states on a regular basis through Fox Sports Southwest and its predecessors. My wife's family is from Little Rock, and when we visited in summers past we could catch the Astros nearly every night. There's more viewers and money behind that bigger footprint...which creates much more urgency in terms of dollars lost to CSN, the Rockets and Astros.

14. Dubious

Capitalism don't care

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The Astros should tread carefully here. The fact that they suck, 60% of the viewership are blacked out AND Rangers games will be available on FSN seems like it could be enough to make the Astros the most irrelevant professional team in American sports.

I mean, there is a possibility for them lose nearly all interest from casual sports fans.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is such a black eye for these teams. The Rockets have thrown away a season and the Astros are going to have this issue at the absolute worst time for them as a franchise.

17. MadMax

I agree..I actually think the numbers already bear that out. When they start winning again, the bandwagon will be full again...but that may be a while.

I think there will be some urgency on getting this station up and running not just here but in the 4 other neighboring states before or around Opening Day. If it doesn't happen then....then I'm not sure when we can honestly expect it to happen.

18. MadMax

It really is...such poor timing for both franchises. Both going young, rebuilding with new players....and most of the city can't watch.

19. Dubious

It's the time/bottom line on the investment that counts. Yes, the Astros suck and their attendence will suck, but they aren't paying any salaries so they will cover their expenses. In the future, they will get better, have increased payroll costs, and get more money from the broadcast rights deal they are holding out for.

The profit in owning sports teams is in the appreciation of the team value over time, not operating income.

20. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Rangers games showing on FSN could be key to negotiations. The casual baseball fan will just watch the Rangers games and not care about how many runs the Astros are losing by. CSN probably forgot about that part. lol.