1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith, Houston's Gamble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vpballa916, Feb 25, 2013.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It worked with Dirk/Chandler. And Garnett/Perkins. And Gasol/Bynum.

Al Jefferson is a great offensive player, and like I said before, fast uptempo teams don't win championships.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Absolutely wrong. If you're unfamiliar with Jefferson's game, just say it. Don't post fictitious nonsense.

Jefferson's offense is far superior to Dwight's.

Wrong again. Guess who knows the value of a low-post threat and also mentored Al Jefferson when he was in Minnesota?

3. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

Al Jefferson is not a great offensive player.

4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

smith or jeffy would be great. not sure we need millsap or iggy.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's an intellectually dishonest post. They can give him 30 million more in a 5 year deal than the Rockets can in a 4 year deal. Unless Howard is out of the league after his 4 year deal in Houston, he'll be making quite a bit of that 30 million in his next contract. The facts are this, after the tax differences the Houston deal and the LA deal are very close to the same over 4 years as far as money is concerned. The big difference between the 2 is that Howard would be on a championship contender in Houston, where he would be on a rebuilding team in LA. Maybe 3 or 4 years from now LA would be able to make another run, but Howard could potentially have 2 or more titles in Houston by that time. There is no way he turns down the Rockets for the Lakers if the Rockets want him.

6. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Yes

Iggy would be awesome but not at max.

7. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

Then the Rockets would need to change the team as Howard would not excel at this pace. That means the Rockets are in another rebuild mode. Lakers being able to give 30 million more than anyone else is a huge incentive. Being in a huge market like LA means his sposorship money is increased many fold. LA can also go over the penalty way more easily than the Rockets. That means they can go get the pieces to complement Howard at any time. Lakers are and has been historically the most favored landing spot of all teams for elite players.

He come to the Rockets and he may get us over the hump to Championship contender status. With LA he is assured of that status.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, as we all know Howard has terrible athleticism....

Also ask yourself what brings the most endorsements, simply being in a big market, or being on a championship contender.

Sorry man but you are completely wrong, the Lakers are a dumpster fire right now, no one in their prime wants to go to a team a year away from a complete rebuild.

9. cw3k

cw3k Member

Keep on adding/subtracting players from the roaster is not the way to win a championship. A lot has to do with chemistry.

Just put it this way IF LBJ decided me first, Heats will not win a champion. Leader are someone who are willing sacrifice his own stats to make the team better. Is JSmith or D12 willing to do that? I cannot common on Smith, but D12 already said no. He MUST get the ball.

10. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

It is your and others opinion that I am wrong. I happen to think y'all are wrong. Howard is a Laker for the duration. To give up what he can get from Lakers would be stupid. Coming to the Rockets and forcing the team to rebuild to suit him is not advantageous.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, to be stuck on a Lakers team going nowhere would be stupid IMO. Why waste years of your prime on poor teams when you could be on a championship contender now? I think he wants to win, and to do so, he needs to walk away from the mess that is the Lakers.

12. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

A mess this year yes. Next year and after and so on. Not a chance. Lakers are one of the most storied teams in NBA history. Huge market. Glamour and a chance to be THE anointed one of the future. He is getting one last chance at a huge max contract. Leaving 30 million on the table is folly.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Next year the Lakers will be worse than they were this year....You can talk about what they might do one day, but Howard has a lot bigger chance of becoming seen as a bust if he stays in LA. Either way, it's been fun discussing, you'll see when it happens.

14. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

You and no one has a crystal ball to know for certain that the Lakers will be worse. The odds are that they will be contenders for going to the finals. (Until they play SA or OKC.) Just saying they will be worse does not make it so. A good off season under the coach and a couple of tweaks and LA is a force.

15. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

#1.) DEFENSE IS OUR TEAM's BIGGEST WEAKNESS !!! ...this alone carries more weight than anything you can say about why we shouldn't get him.

#2.) Smith plays PF which again IS OUR TEAM'S WEAKEST POSITION !!!. yet another reason why Smith is better than any other option that is AVAILABLE. Smith can play the 5 in small-ball situations and give us versitility. More importantly he can effectively REBOUND and DEFEND positions 3-5 (which defines versatility from a basketball point). On offense Smith can do a lot of things well but nothing great. He is aggressive and attacks the rim. Is his shot selection questionable, sure, but that should be a coaching issue and I would find it hard to believe that he wouldnt listen and respect McHale (even if I think McHale is not the best coach for this team).

#3.) Jefferson does not play DEFENSE and DOES NOT RUN on the break. Would he be a good BACK-UP center, yes, but it would be foolish to address a backup position before addressing a STARTING POSITION OF NEED (PF).

I believe that Morey will still target D12 first this offseason (although I disagree with this, at least until D12 can prove that he is recovered to the player that he once was. The problem is that 30 MILLION dollars is an a$$-load of money to pass up, even for MILLIONAIRES. Now with D12 having some lingering injuries problems, I see him prefering the extra year + 30 MILLION that the Lakers can offer, more so than coming to play for an "up-and-coming contender."

So that leaves Bynum or Smith as the top targets. Bynum has the same injury history that we as Rockets fans really dont want any part of i'm sure AND he would ask for the MAX also (which I totally disagree with).

So that really means SMITH is the best choice. I dont think he's a MAX player but his market value is prob about 11-14. This year alone he's making 13, so I'm sure he would have to get at least that much. IMO anything more than 13-14 per is overpaying and it would be better to go after Milsap at 8-10 per yr or, as a third option, let a rok's prove themselves.

Smith is not only the best fit for the team, but of the landscape of available players this offseason, he seems to not only be the safest bet, but the most impactful for the position and needs of the rockets going forward. From an asset position, it would NOT be such a problem to sign Smith to a deal that contends with what LMA or K-Love would get. This would actually help us salary wise if we needed to trade him and get an equal value big-man.

16. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

DO NOT compare Al Jefferson to Dirk Nowitzki or Kevin Garnett. That's like comparing J.J. Redick to Kobe Bryant.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

17. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

ANSWER: See SAN ANTONIO SPURS.

Championships bring endorsements to popular/big market teams.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Like I've said many times already, an up-tempo offense won't win a championship. With the exception of the showtime Lakers and last year's Heat, every championship team has had a post threat.

And regarding defense, why does everyone act like Jefferson is a horrible defender? At the very least, he's a big body that clogs the lane, and he's a better rebounder than Smith.

Al Jefferson also plays PF.

Dmo would be better suited to play the 5 in small-ball situations.

Josh Smith cannot guard the 5.

Based on what? He's already proven that he's more than willing to take low-percentage shots (his 3 pointers). On the other hand, we already know that Jefferson is compatible with McHale.

And why do we need a 4/5 that runs on the break? Does Asik run on the break? Did Patterson?

In our transition offense, the primary finishers have been Harden, Lin, and Parsons. If anything, Jefferson would help initiate our fast breaks b/c he's a good rebounder (better than Smith).

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Al Jefferson is a legitimate low-post threat who can create his own shot and hit them at a 50% rate.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm plenty familiar with jeffersons game my man. I'm not posting "fictitious nonsense".

I said i doubt we change our offenseive system for a jefferson, a borderline allstar. IMO though we might, for a dwight howard though...a superstar.

I't also (IMO) doesn't matter that McHale "knows the value of a low post threat" and "mentored Al Jefferson". We have a certin system on offense and defense, we have an allstar and the offenseive system is being built around him and jefferson (IMO) doesn't fit in at all. Again we're not going to change the whole system for a Al jefferson...maybe a Dwight Howard though.