1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VACATION] Going to the Big Island, Hawaii

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Feb 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Any suggestions on where to stay/what to do from people who have been there? Googled, but keep finding conflicting answers. Kona or Hilo? Thanks.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I stayed at Waikoloa village, which is like an artificial Disneyland kind of resort. Didn't find it particularly memorable. Driving around the island, to the volcano and to somewhat deserted beaches was a lot more interesting.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

The big island is awesome! It's been a long time since I visited, but the one thing that stuck with more than anything else is the observatory and high-point. The whole island is under a light-pollution ordinance. The observatory itself is nothing special, but they have an observation area, and if you stick around until it gets dark, you'll see more stars than you can imagine. It's one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

4. SHANK

SHANK Contributing Member

We go every year, just love it! We always stay at the Mauna Lani Resorts. We prefer the Kona side because it rains less there and it's almost always sunny. World class golf, scuba ( manta rays), resorts ( Hualalai, Mauna Lani, Waikoloa, Hapuna, Mauna Kea), and the town of Kona is nice too. If you decide on the Kona side, you should try the drive to Hawi up North Kohala, then drive back down the road that cuts thru Parker's Ranch. It's so beautiful up there...
    [​IMG]

If you don't like hotels or have kids, the Halii Kai condos are reasonably priced and have an awesome pool area right next to the ocean.
    [​IMG]

It rains more frequently on the Hilo side so it's more lush and tropical there. Waterfalls, the Mauna Loa Macadamia Plantation, and depending where you are staying it is closer to the volcanoes from here. We usually make the 2 hour drive to visit but have never stayed there. It's got an Old Hawaii feel...

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

why not a nice place like..umm..Detroit?

6. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

My vacation in detoitwas the ****

7. WestendMassive

Definitely do a snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay, it is absolutely spectacular.

The Akaka Falls zipline is really good too.

8. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Get a car. The big Island is bigger than you might think. I went there for my honeymoon and we did the following (enjoyed them all):

• Snorkeled at Kealakekua Bay - This was probably the best snorkeling I've ever done and I've snorkeled in Belize, Cancun, Palau, Grand Cayman and Roatan.
    • Volcanoes National Park - This was pretty cool. Bring good walking shoes.
    • Helicopter ride over the volcano - Very expensive but it was our honeymoon so we splurged.
    • The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden was nice. There are several gardens to tour. To be clear, in general these are not formal gardens but paths through the rain forest where you get to see waterfalls and all the plants are labeled.

We also went to a Luou but it wasn't that great. The food is not good and the drinks were watered down. The fire dancing was neat for the first two or three performances but you can only take so much. It's one of those thing that you do just to do since you are in Hawaii and, if you are with a group of friends (or make friends easily), it's still a nice setting to get drunk in. I mean, your still in Hawaii!

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Ka Lae (South Point)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_Lae
    http://www.greensandbeachhawaii.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papakolea_Beach

About a 45 minute hike from the end of the trail will net you an ancient blown out volcanic crater. The beach left over is olivine, an olive green semi-precious stone. The sand is a really cool green hue. Do not swim there...the currents are deadly...but the hike and scenery is breathtaking. It's different...and you probably won't find it listed on too many "to-do" websites.

And I agree with the Saddle Road trip (the road that goes from Kona-side to Hilo). Just make sure you're not violating any rental car agreements by driving across.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

the best thing I've ever done on any vacation was actually on the big island. This was just a couple weeks ago. It was a volcano hike -- we got right up to flowing lava -- 1 foot from it many times. It's incredibly hot (duh). Lava was also flowing into the water, causing the ocean to boil and steam. It was unbelievable. You had to walk 2.5 miles on cooled lava to get out to this site. Once there you could see all this lava, plus whales in the ocean and crazy rainbows from the edge of this lava cliff we were standing on. You need to be in very good shape to do this, as you actually end up walking over 6 miles on very sharp, cooled lava, with the return trip in the dark. Volcano Discovery was the tour company. It's very near the national park. highly highly recommend.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'll be on the island 8 days/7 nights. How should I split up the hotels? 4 days Kona, 3 Hilo?

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah that sounds about right. 2-3 days for the volcano/national park is good

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

My parents stayed at Waikaloa when they came to my wedding. I went over there a few times and it felt like any resort anywhere, honestly. If you want a real island experience, don't bother with Waikaloa or really any resort on the Kona side of the island.

Near Volcano National Park there are some really cool places to stay (not hotels, more like bed-and-breakfasts or just a house to rent). The weather is nice and cool up there. Waimea is another really nice area visually; the wet-to-dry side switch in scenery is pretty awesome.

Personally, I like the wet (Hilo) side of the island a lot more. Less tourists, more nature. While I've been to the big island about 6 times, I haven't gone around much. I enjoyed the Volcano, Kalapana, and Akaka Falls.

(and if you're wondering why I've been there so much, my wife is from Pahoa, HI (pot capital of Hawaii) and her folks still live there and run a business)

Edit: I heard the helicopter rides, while fun and awesome, crash several times per year.

14. WestendMassive

Listen to KWXX when you are driving around. Really adds to the experience :cool:

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Shoot, should have booked the hotel earlier. Kona hotels are expensivvvveeee

16. SHANK

SHANK Contributing Member

Check out vrbo.com for some deals on condos, houses in Kona/Kohala/Hilo. Sometimes you can find a deal there or at least you can ask for last minute deals with the owner.

1 person likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

How was your vacation?

We are tossing around the possibility of going and staying on Oahu, west of Honolulu, for a week in December.

1 person likes this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

It was great! Ended up staying more on the Hilo side, we found there was more to do there actually. We went sight-seeing a lot, and snorkeled in Kaleakakua Bay and Manta Ray snorkeling at night. Awesome vacation.

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If it all possible, stay half on Oahu and half on another island. I found Oahu to be very stressful because of traffic (it's a mini Houston!). The island is beautiful, but really congested and crime is high on the north side (saw some big Samoan dude breaking into cars with his bare hands!). I really really like Kauai, very green and took the boat ride to Na'Pali coast.

20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm in Maui and loving it. Not nearly as busy and way more relaxing. The road to Hana is excellent.