1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale "(Lin) rather have 29pts and 9 TOs, I tell him 'we wanna win'""

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lucky Charm, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rocketblood713

I dont know why people dont think Mchale likes Lin I mean if didnt like him like people say he wouldnt even playing period !

2. RioFan

RioFan Contributing Member

Not even close.

Rockets are 5th in overall attendance.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

3. Roxs

Roxs Member

I probably should've preface my previous post by saying that McHale has been an acceptable coach for the Rockets in my eyes. Nothing great, but not so bad either.

Regarding my hypocrisy comment, here's the logic: There are some that think Lin can be a Tony Parker and compare the play style of the two (most notably Parker himself in a quote prior to the Dec game against the Spurs). However, those users are promptly shot down as an LOF - an all too common ad hominem fallacy on this board. It's as if mentioning Lin and Parker in any sentence together is a crime.

With that said, it's OK to use Lin and Parker in reference to coaching style, specifically the "tough love" berating that McHale does to Lin as Pop does to Parker. To this I ask, why is this negative Lin/Parker reference OK when the positive reference isn't?

Obviously, not all of you consider it preposterous to say that Lin can be as good as Parker one day. But some people here do subscribe to that notion. My hypocrisy statement was directed at them.

1 person likes this.
  4. cw3k

cw3k Member

Every team win and loss game. The problem with McHale is no one understand what is his expectation from his players. Beside Harden, I do not know what is his expectation from others.

For example: Asik/Smith - Are they doing PnR or no? Every game is different. On some games, there are tons of PnR from them. Then other games, they just stood in the paint all day.

For Harden, the plan is simple, he will get the ball when Rockets is in the red. Seriously, every time rox is in the red, the plan is get the ball to half card, and handed it over to Harden. It doesn't matter who is handing the ball, as soon as you bring the ball to half court, get it to Harden.

5. PopItRockets

PopItRockets Member

McHale is right Lin is not a finished product as many fans or casual viewers seem to make it out. He is not overrated but over hyped and after the Linsanity everyone saw him as a superstar when in reality he is a rookie who still has LOTS to learn. He has major upside and has shown flashes of being a great pg. However he has also shown the opposite and is very inconsistent the signs of a young player as McHale pointed out. He does not hate Lin he simply wants him to get better and Lin is no hothead so he will gladly accept the criticism.

Lin will grow with time and all this will be in the past in a couple of years and the Rockets will be a much better team by then. McHale is doing a fine job with the team and Lin is getting better lets just enjoy what the Rockets are accomplishing as one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You wrote an entire paragraph of crap, and I congratulate you for spending so much time on it.

I have always been a big Lin fan and always supported him. The problem is LOFs like you can't take an ounce of criticism and jump at anyone who attempts to look at things rationally.

You wouldn't know that since you joined this board after Lin came over, there are tons of occasions of me supporting Lin during his linsanity streak.

What can I say though, you are pathetic.

7. conquistador#11

i agree with everyone in this thread.

Jesus f*, 12,000 views already. I thought it was going to be a boring wait til the walking dead, but the thread has been entertaining.

8. SeabrookMiglla

a good coach's are usually hard on there players, especially the ones they like the most. maybe mchale doesnt like lin the most, but i will say it is clear that mchale sees that lin has so many expectations about him and fame(linsanity movie) already as a young player. this fame can be negative on a player like lin who hasnt had much time on the court, already he is an international star. maybe mchale wants to be tough on lin, so that he can really grow as a player and not become big headed and remain stagnant. lin is still very raw as a player, but he is coming around. i think lin is learning to strengthen his weaknesses right now. lin is very effective as a player with the ball in his hands, but he has to learn the PG role. lin has much PG talent, he will get there.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin is a young developing player. Constraints are good. Not bad. McHale trying to teach Lin lessons is good, not bad.

Yall want Lin to just be able to free-wheel and go crazy. But that isn't how Lin will get better. He has to play within his talents. He's not a superstar, and he probably will never be one - with any team. What he is though is a capable starting point guard who is young and growing and we all root for because he is likable, talented, and hard working.

People need to let things just take his course. Lin isn't going to blossom into Steve Nash or Jason Kidd. Forget that. What he can develop into is a championship starting point guard that knows how to steward a team and plays his role.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

McHale is just speaking out as the president of the LOHers.

Over/under on the number of pages in a 24 hour period?

11. pnr

pnr Member

The number of views + page views that Lin related threads get on this website as well as others shows you the fan impact Lin has and also alludes to what Adam Silver said the other day about Lin's importance to the league. I'm going to believe that the comment was taken out of context since it is the NYDaily News, who made Machado sound like he believed he was Kyrie Irving.

12. novaman

novaman Member

I was the guy at the game last night who saw first hand McHale put his hand on Jeremy's shoulder and have a talk with Jeremy before the game about how he was feeling. McHale had a look of genuine empathy and concern for Lin on his face, like a father for a son. I think I only saw McHale personally spend time talking to Lin and then Harden one on one before the game. What I saw goes totally against the grain of all these "McHale hates Jeremy Lin" posts, and it has certainly changed my view on this subject.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You may not understand what McHale's expectations are for a player. You are a fan and it is to be expected. McHale is a great communicator and I would bet big money that every single one of his players, all the way down through D-League, knows exactly what McHale wants them to accomplish.

For an example, D-Mo last year knew exactly what McHale wanted him to improve. And the guy was not even on the roster. But that did not keep McHale from flying to Europe and observing D-Mo's progress.

14. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Because he had the flu.

Just kidding...nothing to do

15. SeabrookMiglla

i agree with you except, i think lin has definite all-star potential. not just your avg. PG

16. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Please look at my posts in this thread. Look at the Lin quotes I posted. While amcHale is hard on Jeremy. Him and Jeremy have a great relationship.

17. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Lucky you were at the game, or maybe unlucky since we lost. Care to share more about what else you saw during the game? I would love to hear anything about all the players on ths team.

18. howo13579

howo13579 Member

McHale doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Most Lin's turn overs are from being passive and hesitated with the ball. Usually when Lin score 20+ points or more (when he's confident and looking for his own shots), his turnovers are low. And when he's aggressive and making home run passes (resulting high turnovers), the team usually wins. So I don't understand what McHale means "we're trying ton win" while Lin's 29 points and 9 turnover usually leads the team to win. Lin and Asik can be on short leash IF the coach is competent. By competent I mean the coach should know exactly what he wants. Not by asking a player to do things that are contradicting to each other. Harden can't do everything alone (while he's an offensive beast I hope someone in coaching staff can get in his face on his defense). To make noise in player off, other starters also need to be unleashed. For a coach to say a player selfish like that is crossing the line, while Lin is as unselfish as a player is.

1 person likes this.
  19. Postcall

Postcall Member

So basically Lin wants to play a high risk high reward style of play and Mchale does not want that as he feels it wont win games. I am good with that.

20. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Let's get something straight... We only have two losses as far as I can remember in which Lin scored 20+ and lost (Spurs and Dallas)... And Lin was the last reason those games were lost. Lin has never had 9 TO in a game. You're telling me that mchale use of the number 29 pts wasn't a reference to OKC?? So Lin's 29 pts did not contribute to that win. Fire McFail of trade Lin it's that simple.