1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Shaking up the Rotation, is Morey Attempting to Force McHale's Hand?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure it's not petty and about forcing someone's hand, and that they are, indeed, trying to improve the roster. Does McHale agree this was the best way? Who knows, that's irrelevant really.

That, and with PatPat hitting some shots, his value was perceived to be up.

2. BeardlyBeardman

I think you could understand if McHale felt that way whether it's true or not.

Guy is thinking if he gets this team to the playoffs then he's on solid ground with job security. Then your GM trades 3 guys who get regular minutes and someone you were giving more to lately. I'm sure he understands that Morey wants his guys (who he has hopes for) to play, but at the same time he's probably thinking that if they miss the playoffs (through no fault of his own in his mind) it won't look good for him with the boss. So I'm sure McHale wants to see what those guys can do too, but it has to bother him that the GM made his road to job security a little tougher. Tough situation but one that a lot of coaches are in.

Or in coachspeak, "You coach the guys that are here."

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

4. M4-Nightvision

people are jumping to conclusion here lol

5. jjin15

jjin15 Member

Rotation:

Jlin, Beverly
    Harden, Delfino
    Parsons, Garcia
    Robinson, DMo
    Asik, Smith

This works out great to develop our your young front court.
    It helps DMo the most I think, because the flaws in his game are body weight, defense awareness and rebounding. With the other 4's and 5's countering those flaws with their low production in offense, it offers balance plus NBA exposure and pace of the game to improve individual production in areas that are sketchy. DMo with PPat or Morris was not ideal because those players were not rebounder type players, so the production on the glass with that unit would be low. Morrey made the right decision, and a great way to develop players with opposing games.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

McHale's job is completely secure. He is the right hand of Morey, and he will be head coach until he chooses to retire.

But on the other hand I could absolutely see McHale telling Morey that as head coach, he will try to win as many games as possible with the players Morey provides. I actually would expect as much from the man.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he is forcing McHale's hand. McHale tried playing DMo and frankly - DMo is a lost sheep out there.

He's still learning and far from having regular minutes. He's just not ready. He'll get playing time as it makes sense. I think Morey is trying to get rid of the log jam for sure because they have too many. But I don't think this is about McHale and his decisions.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Patterson , Morris < Jones, DMO

Robinson ???????

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

As I see it, between Dmo, Jones, Robinson, White and Smith, two of these will need to go at some point.

I say this because as things look now, none of these three can play any position other than the 4 for long minutes. We in effect have (5) 4's and (1) 5 on the current roster. We either need another 5, or a guy who can play the 4 & 5 with fairly equal efficiency.

So despite Morris and Pat being shipped, we still have a glut.

10. jjin15

jjin15 Member

White will get moved down to 3 and DMo or Smith will be the backup 5 with TRob at 4 and t jones and 3 4 5

11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Except that didn't happen in real life. Pena was in AAA when he was traded, and Hatteberg had been the starter for weeks.

12. Grigori

Grigori Member

I doubt that any forcing through trades is necessary.

More likely being "very open" to suggestions/instructions from management was a condition for McHale's hiring. It's more likely that McHale was "forced" to play 2Pat/Mook (and Aldrich, too) to keep up their values for trades than the other way around.

LOL.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think there's any forcing going on. I think McHale is playing the players that give him the best chance to win. And, Morey traded away a couple of those guys partly to open up minutes for the inferior players to get better. I don't believe the common characterization from some of McHale not seeing that Motie gives us a better chance to win than Patterson and Morris. He doesn't deserve to play over those guys. But, those guys are gone, so maybe he'll get some court time now.

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Harden and Lin scored 75 points combined. How often do you think they can continue to do that?

15. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Crazy world. Isn't it?

16. carayip

carayip Member

Morey clearly made these trades as he wants McHale to play the young PFs more. But McHale instead gives the majority of mins to Delfino, a guy clearly not in the future plan. Come on, McHale.

1 person likes this.
  17. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

A slap in Morey's face.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First, we all predicted that a trade would involve our PFs. right? It is not a surprise that we traded for a PF.

One thing is for sure: you can't really trade for Robinson without giving up a PF. So, the only issue is why both PFs.

So, in that regard, I would believe the Morey had talked to Coach about the readiness of DMo.

19. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Exactly, maximized the value of the assets at their "Highest point." Telling me that that trade got us the #5 pick (I don't care who it is, or what team drafted who?)

I think it is worth the roll of the dice, and PP was about to be off his Rookie scale contract, right? (Don't know if their was a team option on there at all). It gives us another "project" to add to the puzzle over the long term (If TRob works out, and stays). I think he will be here for at least 2 years, and that he's got to prove A LOT. Morey was just maximizing his benefit on his assets.

I wouldn't have thought this trade happens what so ever. At most I thought PP and MM, and TD would get us a mid first rounder (15-18), maybe another pick like a future 2nd, and then one, or two garbage players. Instead Morey snagged the number 5 pick from this year's draft (ironic since we traded away our number 5 pick for next years draft). A Kansas project PF where SAC already had a "high profile" more established PF in Cousins. Low risk trade for the long term, and gives us just that little bit of extra money for the summer. Morey has done a great job, and I think McHale understands how Morey works by now. Forcing his hand, no, just throwing out some cards to try and grab a "STRAIGHT FLUSH!" :) We hope!!

20. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Exactly, maximized the value of the assets at their "Highest point." Telling me that that trade got us the #5 pick (I don't care who it is, or what team drafted who?)

I think it is worth the roll of the dice, and PP was about to be off his Rookie scale contract, right? (Don't know if there was a team option on there at all). It gives us another "project" to add to the puzzle over the long term (If TRob works out, and stays). I think he will be here for at least 2 years, and that he's got to prove A LOT. Morey was just maximizing his benefit on his assets.

I wouldn't have thought this trade happens what so ever. At most I thought PP and MM, and TD would get us a mid first rounder (15-18), maybe another pick like a future 2nd, and then one, or two garbage players. Instead Morey snagged the number 5 pick from this year's draft (ironic since we traded away our number 5 pick for next years draft). A Kansas project PF where SAC already had a "high profile" more established PF in Cousins. Low risk trade for the long term, and gives us just that little bit of extra money for the summer. Morey has done a great job, and I think McHale understands how Morey works by now. Forcing his hand, no, just throwing out some cards to try and grab a "STRAIGHT FLUSH!" :) We hope!!