1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Sportcenter embarrassment!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haven, Feb 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. haven

haven Member

More highlighting of plays where Yao was open for an easy lay-up or dunk but wasn't given the ball. One time, instead of hitting Yao for an easy, easy lay-up...

Cato Mobley through a cross-court pass that led to a turnover. This is terrible.

I don't care if he was double teamed for most of the possessions he didn't get the ball. Mobley won't pass to him for layups. That's terrible. The Rockets guards are becoming icons for selfishness.

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

uhh...
    your going to be blasted.

3. haven

haven Member

I can take the blasting more easily than I can watch a center being passed over for a lay-up in favor of a bad cross-court pass ;).

4. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

Cat and Steve showed some serious heart tonight!!
    for that I wont complain about some bad plays

5. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Did we win tonight?

Granted, there are times when Yao is open and doesn't get the ball. But I think the "Yao touches" is overblown at times. (I didn't see all of the game tonight though.) I've watched him get numerous touches and have seen him pass the ball out. Rudy has said many times on his radio show that they keep a chart of how many times Yao gets the ball and that the number is really not all that bad.

6. haven

haven Member

Free Agent:

Come on... you've been around far too long for that logic.

Even ****ty teams win 20 games per year... does that mean that after each game, they should reaffirm the strategies they used?

Of course not. The Rockets, right now, win if:

A. Francis and Mobley are lights out.
    B. They pass the ball.

The win much more when they try B. When A. happens, it encourages bad habits because it reinforces bad behavior. We don't want Mobley and Francis learning "gee, if I just shoot the ball, we win." I don't mind them shooting when they're hot... I do mind them ignoring Yao, even when they're hot.

If they're passing him up for open layups... and throwing cross court passes instead, then there's a problem, even when we win.

7. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Why is Sportcenter spending so much time analyzing our plays? Do other teams get scrutinized the way we have been by the morons at Sportcenter? :mad:

8. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Come up with solutions, not excuses.

This game represents one of the 40% we will win if we gun with teams without establishing the inside. If that satisfies you, that's great.

The margin for error is so small playing a perimeter game - there is such a thing as winning the battle but losing the war. We'll see if we can overcome what I see as negative reinforcement.

9. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

Not every team has YAO MING

10. kobo

kobo Member

Have to agree. It was just ugly, even a W. Steve was just plain stupid tonight while Cat was just f&$%#g selfish. We won because they were hot. Basically, talent over team ball.

I just hope Steve gets to see himself go into the dribbling-city mode and fell on the floor with his ugly a$$ laughed by the crowd and had to call a timeout.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Gotta agree with you Haven.

12. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

I think you left out an adjective.
    ...SOME REPETITIVE BAD PLAYS.

13. towel

towel Member

Coming from behind down 15 in the 4th quarter on the road to a team who made it to the Eastern Conference Finals last year is not ugly. These are the kinds of games that propells teams on the bubble on the better things. In a game where Francis had 33 points, 9 assists, 9 rebounds with only 2 turnovers in a road win(!)...people need to lay off.

14. rockyymf

rockyymf Member

Don't forget this is a really close game. We are lucky that Boston didn't nail down some of their free throws, and shot way too much bad 3s. Our two guards had 38 shooting attempts while the rest of the team including the bench only had 34. We are lucky the two guards were hot tonight. If one of them is off, I don't know how they can win by playing like this in the future. Don't label me as Steve hater. I don't hate Steve but I really dislike the way he hands the ball.

15. alaskansnowman

I agree with Haven... that being said, I think and hope that we will improve our ways of finding Yao because despite constant double-teaming, there WERE times where Yao could have gotten the ball but did not.

I think it will come with time... remember, Dallas's core has been together for three years now, and it took Kobe a while to learn to play with Shaq as well.

16. Franchise3384

Franchise3384 Member

Your a ******* moron, Kobo. And a b*stard, have a nice day :)

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I guess as long as the team win this game, most of fans here won't care too much.

Even with terrible ball handling, even they may lose 4 of 5 games when they play like this, they won today.

So why bother?

18. rockyymf

rockyymf Member

It took a good coach for Kobe to learn how to play with Shaq. Rudy is no Phil Jackson.

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

first how pathetic that after a great comeback we get like 3 shoulda passed to yao highlights, 2 celtics highlights, and then two quick rox highlights. dammit.

and of the pass to yao ones, there was one obvious one where they shoulda passes. another one the guy got trapped hard and didn't have a clear line to yao unless he was just gonna lob it up there and give the D plenty of time to rotate. the other yao wasn't even that friggin open, his man was still semi behind him

as for all of steve and cat's bad plays.

steve 33 pts on 10-18, very good. 9 rebounds, how many did yao have again? 9 assists w/ only 2 to's for a 4.5 ratio, extremely good. 2 key steals and then 2 blocks. horrible game.

cuttino 31 pts on 11-20, very good. 10 rebounds, excellent, led the team. huge shots to lead the comeback. man these guys should stop sucking.

and they definitely shouldn't be shooting when the other team is relentlessly doubling and tripling yao.

wow, 3 times in a 2.5 hour game they found us missing yao. wonder if we did that for everyone how many times we would see open people missed by everyone.

20. munco

munco Member

We got scrutinized because everyone is talking about it. Everyone knows that Yao wasn't getting enough touches and many have questioned if our guards are selfish. It's not just Sportscenter, it's been brought up by analysts and media all year.