1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Thomas Robinson; Morris traded to Phoenix; Patterson, Douglas, Aldrich to Kings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 20, 2013.

?

Do you like the Thomas Robinson-Patrick Patterson trade?

1. Yes

91.5%
  2. No

8.5%
  1. krouchchocolate

I like his hustle. P-pat will be missed but I did not like his playing style.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well, I think its a different story if we weren't shooting for max cap space.

3. Sean88888

Sean88888 Member

$1 million in cash consideration. That's all the Maloofs care about.

4. seyton

seyton Member

Quick, name 5 players selected after him you would rather have than either him or a 2nd round pick.

5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Thomas Robinson, still a very young player and a rookie, is trying to find his niche in the NBA right now. 5th pick of the 2012 draft... He is a bruiser type player that is physical and is not afraid of contact.

Thomas Robinson may be struggling right now but he's still a rookie that is still learning. There are tons of rookies who struggled their rookie year and still turn out to be great players like Harden. But Thomas Robinson has more upside than both Patterson and Morris combine.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

This trade probably frees up money to lighten the load in the move to Seattle.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

My math may be off but with the T-Rob deal we were slightly intaking more salary than giving out, and given the fact that Clutch stated cap room is "king" it made sense to shed Morris' contract.

8. DaveInTheCave

DaveInTheCave Member

Underrated aspect of this trade-

Francisco Garcia has a $6.4 Mil TEAM OPTION next season. This will be valuable as hell as a trade chip or the Rockets could simply decline the option if they go after a max FA.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Never will i take those words seriously again.

Morey at the press confrence...

"Yeah...Robinson is obviously a great player with potential, we'v sought after him since the draft..." " We didn't expect to make any deals, we we're happy with our squad the way it was...we liked patterson, douglas, aldrich and the twin, but of course were always looking to upgread the roster, and we're really happy about this trade..."

All in his " im bored " sounding voice.

1 person likes this.
  10. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

maybe bc the Kings are garbage and he doesn't fit in? Up and Down offense with an athletic 6'10 PF? I like it. Lin better get good at alley oops!

11. Sean88888

Sean88888 Member

Morey's reasoning is that early 2nd round picks are more valuable than late 1st, because they pick form the same talent pool but 2nd round picks' contracts are not guaranteed. And Suns' 2nd round pick is definitely early 2nd.

1 person likes this.
  12. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

The question we should be asking is:

How bad was T Rob for SAC to give him up?

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So what's his game like?

After watching the highlight video (yeah, those aren't really very helpful - but at least it was 9 minutes after only half a season...) Id say:

- great athleticism and speed
    - knack for offensive rebounds
    - knack for chasing down blocks
    - good hands
    - creative and relentless finisher around the basket

I don't know about his jumper, defense and BB IQ - anyone ready to share some insight on why he was underperforming (at least in the eyes of the Kings - some young players just take some time to get used to the NBA)?

14. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Alot of dunks and good defense but I don't see him stretching the floor with a jump shot

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Dunking Robinson is not what the Rockets need. They need someone to spread the floor...how the hell you spread for the floor w/ him on the floor...?? Now Harden and Lin can't penetrate because they're sagging and leave Robinson wide open cause they know he can't shoot like Patrick. Good job Moron...i mean Morey!

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I cannot believe this. What a trade.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

You can look at it that way

I see the majority of GMs miss on 1st round picks at least 50% of the time. It's just the way this stuff goes. No one bats 1.000

However, most GMs will play out that 1st round pick in hopes of a turnaround. When they're still busts, they leave for nothing. Morey, instead, sells his mistake for 50 cents on the dollar instead of going bankrupt. I call that smart

1 person likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I guess Robinson could also play minutes at center.

Or no?

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yeah I'm guessing that they are making a last ditch effort to get someone who can get along with Cousins. They want to keep Cousins but he has made it hard on them.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its just the Maloofs sucking cash out of the organization before they leave.

They don't care.