1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are we sacrificing everything for Yao?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mobes05, Feb 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

SF and Yao are on the same team. Just some fans here are not.

2. sosorox

sosorox Member

Why were the Rockets from San Deigo but there weren't any Rockets in San Deigo?

3. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Boy, some people here are so paranoid.

4. snowmt

snowmt Member

Give them time to gel. However, one suggestion to Francis,
    Looking to pass rather than crossing over defenders. I hope
    him to become another Glove rather than Marbury.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great guards are relatively easy to come by compared to great centers. There are at least a dozen top-level guards in the league right now, Francis among them. There is ONE top-level center in the league -- Shaq.

That's why Yao is the key.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

All the other West teams with a big man...

SA
    Sac
    Min
    Dal

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Another Steve-Only fan. :rolleyes:

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is a big mans game.

Yao = Big
    Steve & Cat = Small

Yao = savvy player
    Steve & Cat = turnover city.

Yao = humble

well, need I go on?

Yao is the future of the team, and when he is the primary focus, the team will do better.

DD

9. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

If you declare a ROY candidate has a ceiling which he has already surpassed in several single game outings in his rookie year when most predicted he would be a project at best, than you are a complete and utter jackass. Your opinion is based on nothing more than your own ignorant bias. No one knows what he can become. Thats why they play the games, Miss Cleo.

Plus its tired, already.

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Fortunately myself and Mobes05 are not on the same.

Mobes05
    Steve is not smart enough to be better than Yao in his prime. The Rox WILL DEFINITELY be Yao's team. Steve and Cutino will just be his servants. :eek:

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more...

Yao has brought more attention and spotlight to Houston that any other person/event...Do you even remember so many SC highlights or televised games last year, let alone during our championship runs...

A lot of people have probably jumped on the bandwagon, but I think I've seen more of the Trade Mobley than Francis, although those people that say trade Francis are idiots...

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Amen!

13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

why not, its apocalypse Yao. seriously, we've had to many close games end in defeat because of wasted possessions where there was too much dribbling and too many silly turnovers. Steve Francis is not a point guard. anybody who thinks he is or can be in the future is delusional. So who is sacrificed? Mobley? I dont think so...Mobley is a better shooting guard than Francis for the fact he can play off the ball whereas it seems Francis needs alot of dribbling time and space to do his stuff. The Rockets have too many offensive weapons for Steve to pull that kind of crap. I really think Steve Francis is the type of player who needs to be surrounded by players that are really defensive minded. For example, Philedelphia was at its best when Larry Brown surrounded Allen Iverson with great defensive players like Mutumbo, Hill, Lynch, and Mckie. Thats the kind of team Francis could excell with.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Because we as Rockets fans have been weaned upon the Big Mans Game- Hayes,Malone,Sampson,Hakeem and now Yao Ming. A dominent Big Mans game is what we are hoping for not the Franchise and Mobes show featuring Dribble Mania.

15. lovethisgametoo

Will you add CD and Rudy to the servants list, too? :confused:

16. winwook

winwook Member

I'll be the first to admit that I've only started to follow the Rockets this year. At the same time, a lot of longtime fans seem to have a knee-jerk reaction to any criticisms new fans might have simply because they're not "true" fans. This kind of mudslinging is bull****. Just because it's coming from the mouth of a new fan, doesn't mean you can automatically dismiss an argument.

In many ways, a new fan could have a much more valuable opinion than a longtime fan because they don't have the sentimental attachments to the team or certain players that can make someone biased, thus they could bring a fresh and relatively impartial opinion of the team.

17. supermagichero

Mobes05, you are completely a nobrainer.
    :D

Hope you can learn sth from the replies.

18. feishen

feishen Member

Right on dude
    What's more. It's ludicrious to even say sacrafice somebody on the team for the goal of winning. If Francis or Mobe has their way to bring this team to the championship, they can be the focal point, no problem. But the law of basketball tells us, basketball is a big man sports, let a 7'5 mobile center with skills and moves be a compliment to the backcourt guards, that's not basketball strategy, that is sega NBA2k3. Ming also has showed his unselfishness and bball IQ that is he is not a ball hogger. I can uderstand someone root for their favriote star players, but basketball is not a individual sports, and there is no sacrafising, there is only winning.

19. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I will admit that I am biased. I love Cat and Steve b/c I have watched them for the past four years and they WERE our team. That being said I am not stupid enough to believe that with Yao in the mix things are going to stay that way, thank God I was getting tired of losing. I think that once Ming hits his prime he probably will be top 3 in the L for the rest of his career at the 5. I also think that Steve probably will outscore Yao for their careers once Ming hits his prime. I envision something along the lines of Clyde's last year where he outscored Dream and Charles. Ming is going to be doubled/tripled his entire career and he is smart enough to kick the rock out to the perimeter where Steve will have countless open looks. Two years from now I see things shaping up like this:

Steve-24 ppg 8 ast 5 reb 2 stl
    Mobley-16 ppg 4 ast 4 reb 1 stl
    somebody
    Griffin-14 ppg 10 reb 4 blks
    Ming-22 ppg 5 ast 11 reb 3 blks

20. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

If we Rox fans also think Yao is getting too much attention, I can see why other NBA stars are jealous of Yao.

Here is my take. A winning Rox team has always been a center-oriented team and Yao looks like he is going to be a great center. If he gets any special treatment now, I'd say go for it, big fella cause we are going to need every inch of his 7'6" frame to get to the promised land.