1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ok gurus..... Who is the missing link to take us to the next level?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Feb 24, 2003.

1. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

#1-Lamar Odom-playmaking 3 who many of our players are already friends with (Cat, Steve, and MoT for sure). Makes our break better and takes some of the heat off Steve, Pippen without the D

#2-Corey Maggette-athletic 2/3, Posey with more scoring potential

2. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Brent Barry

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I like the idea of Brand, just curious as to what it would take to REALISTICALY (a good theme for this thread) to get him on our team. I think it would take a 3 way deal, and as others have expressed. I would protect Yao and Steve and let them pick who they wanted.

As stated before (I like GATER's SF theory), we have our 3 main guys in Francis, Brand and Yao. Throw in some role players and we have Championships looming in the not so distant future.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sane, I totally agree that this team would benefit greatly if they could get an Elton Brand. I just don't see it happening. Brand is probably going to take the one year tender offer from the Clippers this summer to make him an unrestrictd FA after next season (similar to what Kandi is doing this year). From all reports, Brand is not going to accept any FA offers for him this summer because his agent fears that the Clippers will match it and he will be stuck in Clipperdom for years with the team going nowhere. We can only hope to try to force a sign and trade with us. Hope to stress upon LA that if they don't sign and trade him they will get NOTHING for him after next season. For some reason I don't see it happening but we can hope! :)

I do think in general that the Rockets need one more "star" player. The Rockets need more consistancy from their 2 star players as it is and one more star player and a cast of decent role players would help flesh out this team.

I also think it is imparitive that the Rockets find a consistant 3 point shooter to stretch defenses to keep them honest on double teams of Yao. Far too often our team is inconsistant with the jumpshot allowing teams to sag in and double team Yao or go into a zone to clog the middle. This doesn't necessarily have to be a star player as much as a decent "role" player such as a Brent Barry.

Francis and Mobley are not really "shooters" but "scorers" and with zone defenses and clogging up the lanes their ability to cut and drive for shots is limited, forcing them to take tough outside shots that really is not their forte.
    You add Posey into that mix as a starter and the outside shooting gets worse!

Consistency in scoring in general is needed. Not people that are hot one night and cold the next. That is why I think this team needs one more star to compliment Yao and Steve.

Dallas has Dirk, Nash and Finley.
    Sacramento has Bibby, Peja and Webber.
    Lakers have Shaq & Kobe (which equals 3 stars).
    Rockets have Yao and Francis.....need one more star player here to get to the next level.
    The same can be said for San Antonio as well. They only have Duncan. They need at least one more star and some role players.
    Minnesota is also in the same boat. They have KG and Wally and need one more star to elevate their team.

Who is going to be the Rockets next star player? I think initially we all hoped it would be Griffin. And it still might. I am a bit uncertain about this. I think Griffin will end up being one of our better "role players".

As it was said above, Mobley, Rice, and Cato all for various reasons are nice trade bait to acquire a better single player. The Rockets have pretty good DEPTH on the team but the depth is not "consistant". The Rockets need to translate their QUANTITY into QUALITY by trading a few players to obtain one better player that can bring more consistency to the lineup.

Chris

6. Drewdog

If they ever hope of Eddie being the future 4 for this team, they need to build his toughness and inside game BIG TIME. Dude needs to quit jacking up all of those line drive 3's too.

7. drewpy

drewpy Member

8. tch

tch Member

we need a shooter, who can hit open..

how angry are you to see eg or cat miss open 3s one by one, if they hit one more per game, i think we would not be struggling for 8th .

9. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SAR can play the three pretty well in the west. I'd like him there teamed with a MCE banger low. I really like Odom, but it doesn't look like he's available. Maggette is also nice.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Actually, if SAR did make it here and played the 3 then I would like a 4 ala Garrity ala strong back Bull to spread the D a long way.

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

SAR shoots 31.1% from the 3pt line. Not what I want from SF my especially one that doesn't play much D. We could keep Posey for a lot less $.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Our SF, obviously, needs to be able to hit 3's. Either tha, or our 2-guard needs to be one of the best at hitting 3's (Person, Murray, Dickerson...)

13. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Eduardo Najera

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

defensive, banging, bruising, rebounding POWER Forward

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For a guy who likes bangers, you really do like stars who are pathetically weak wimpy wombly p***y ass players. You're like schizophrenic in your "I like bangers" but "I want SAR."

SAR and Odom

pahlease, a team of defensive softies like Glenn Robinson and SAR and Odom and Maggette doesn't even make you .500. Planting one bruiser in there with them, when Francis sucks at defense, MoT is your backup PF and Yao doesn't look like he'll be better than Jabbar at defense ... well, you better be signing Ben Wallace at PF, or no one else will matter. Oh, and pasox2, Martin gets you nowhere with that pansy rebounding of his.

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Relistically we need a couple players, a PF and a PG. If it is one missign peice I will take a PG.
    My idea would be to get a true distributing PG (ie Eric Snow) and keep Francis and Mobley. Play small ball about 15-20 minutes a game with all 3 guards. Keep Yao and Griffen as our 4 and 5 and Cato as their sub (twin towers) which would give us 3 shotblockers who could help with our SF being too short. I would use Rice (don't know if he fits salary wise next year) and Posey as our wings. I think Rice can be a killer once Yao gets the ball in the post. Just hav eRice spot up and wait for the double. Posey would also be a nice athlete to keep around who can better matchup with athletic SFs when needed.
    As far as minutes:
    Francis 38
    Mobley 36
    Yao 30 (more minutes depending on conditioning)
    EG 28
    PG (Snow) 30
    Cato 24
    Rice 24
    Posey 15
    Moochie 10 (4th guard)
    Others 5 (T-mo, etc)

So my thought is trade Mo-T for a true PG and let these guys run! Keep 2 shotblockers int eh game when we play 3 guards (for shot blocking help) plus all 3 can run pretty well.

So

17. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What if you get SAR for Rice and Mobely? I'm pretty sure that's the flip side of the Rice/Griffin deal they offered. Then you have

Yao /Cato
    Griffin /Taylor
    SAR /Tmo
    Posey/ Hawk
    Francis/Moochie

Which is not bad. That's a big, long, strong team that can score and defend in the front and backcourt. SAR is versitile and very talented. I think you guys that call him a puss are just confusing him with Webber, and haven't seen his skills. We'd still do well to get a spot up shooter and a muscle forward, but they can be got as MCE/second-tier FAs.

So bleh back at you.

As much as I'd like a good pf, I'd like a really good 3 even better. 4's aren't all that. You need one, but they're just worker bees.

18. Drewdog

Is Eric Snow a FA this year?