1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wojnarowski: McHale is someone guys like to play for

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 18, 2013.

1. gate470

gate470 Rookie

You're not the only one. Glad I caught it the 2nd time.

2. mclawson

mclawson Member

I posted some version of this in the Clipper game thread, but it bears repeating, I think.

This place cracks me up sometimes. From the unbelievably clever McFail nickname to the people who think Lin is the best player ever to those who think he's the worst thing to happen to basketball. Everyone thinks they're a better coach than a Hall of Fame player that has his team overachieving (consensus by damned near every opposing team's announcers) to varying degrees. Yes, we suck at defense. It's something that needs work, but people act like McHale is oblivious to that fact. I'm sure it's worked on in practice. I'm sure it's near the top of their list of things to tweak and improve, but it's not something that happens overnight, especially team defense. But those guys that played pickup ball at the local rec center know better, of course. That's why they've turned down all of those head coaching jobs at the Y. Those poor 10 year olds are missing out.

Yes, his rotations are odd at times, but there are most likely reasons behind them that those calling him McFail can't quite see or grasp. They just know the people that they think (using the word loosely here, of course) should be playing, aren't playing or that those who they think should be sitting aren't sitting. He's by no means perfect as a coach, but he's helped a team that many predicted to win 18-28 games all year to a playoff contender, at 3 games above .500 at the break and in 8th place in the West.

I don't know the reasons behind his rotations. Nobody outside of the locker room and organization knows why he has the rotations he does, but I do there are specific reasons behind them. Perhaps they are Morey-stats influenced. Perhaps they are set up to try various combinations in different situations and matchups, like going smallball to counteract something the other team is doing. The whole point is that we don't know the whys, but some posters here (most with fewer than 1000 posts, all within the last year) act like they know why McHale does what he does, mostly because he hates Lin, loves Harden, is on drugs, has stage 4 neurosyphilis, or the like. Whatever his reasons, people post like they would do a better job. That's why they are right there on the bench with McHale, or at least coaching in the DLeague or D-1 NCAA, right? They pass their ridiculous speculations off as facts. It's comical.

People complain about everything he does, such as Harden playing Harden 40 minutes a night. I'd venture his reasoning is that he's young, durable (until the ankle/knee recently), and a vital part of the team's success. In trying the other rotations and substitution patterns (whatever the reasons) it's still important to try and actually win the games as well. Harden gives you your best bet at doing that, no?

People are free to question his decisions, sure, question away, but don't pretend for one moment that you know the intents of the coaching staff or that you would do a vastly superior job if you were in their place. Of course it's fun to speculate, but most don't frame their commentary as speculation or conjecture, but as stone-cold fact. Again, it's comical. McHale hates Lin and will soon hate Parsons because Parsons loves Lin. McHale won't play Lin in the 4th because he's Asian. McHale heard that Patterson tweeted about him so he started Morris for a few games to teach him a lesson. It has to be true. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw McHale slapping Lin around behind the ice cream shop for turning the ball over on a fast break. I guess it's pretty serious.

Yes, we started out down 23 or something ridiculous in the Clipper game. It happens. Teams get hot for a quarter or half or even game. We've done it to other teams. That night it happened to us. We cut it to 11 or 12, but now they built it back up. We will got back within 10 at some point, all without out best player (no, not Lin). Yes, we lost by double digits. Is it disappointing? Sure. Did McHale and his staff use it to teach? Probably. Games like that are a good time to try new sets, defensive schemes, and even inbounds plays and some of those crazy rotations and combinations people love to hate.

But hate on, haters. Keep using that clever epithet. I'll keep watching a team come into its own, develop an identity, and growing.

1 person likes this.
  3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

D12 naysayers be supportive

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

If we make the playoffs we most likely aren't going to be a .500 team.

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need a more rounded education system.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I would think it would be obvious. Respect. The roster is being coached by one of the all time great NBA players. McHale as a player was better than anybody on the Rockets including Harden at this point of his career.

McHale is obviously a very intelligent individual. And as far as knowledge about the NBA game at all levels he is unmatched by possibly any coach today. He has a great (Morey chosen) staff to handle the day to day coaching details. And McHale is known as a manager willing to delegate.

McHale has installed a read and react offense. Basketball intelligence and court vision are primary attributes in that system. I would think that the system would appeal to a large number of NBA players. Players will not be held back or stifled by McHales coaching philosophies.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I was unsure about McHale when we hired him but I now think he's been our best coach since maybe Rudy T.

Adelman was an offensive genius but I would've liked more accountability on defense.

McHale is the perfect offensive and defensive coach this team needs.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That wasn't a straw man, I was just pointing out what was about to happen....and it happened almost exactly after I posted it.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. ejarts

ejarts Member

it would be nice if there's actually a good PF mchale can pass down his skills to

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I've said McHale is kinda a Popovich-LITE lite. Maybe San Antonio approach is something Rockets front office had in mind (besides having Chris Finch in staff as a "succesor")

Both have general manager experience, a bit media friendly with quotables, chummy with their players, advocate a "family" structure. They're not gonna be soft on their player either. With a little bit of old school values, but can adapt when need-be.

Can see why a front office would consider McHale, even if he does fit the "McTalky" description. He has a sort of pedigree in the Popovich, George Karl, Rudy T mold. McHale doesnt have EVEN NEAR the coaching experience though. Of course IN REAL LIFE those attributes might not mean ANYTHING.

But can keep in mind this is McHale's FIRST FULL REAL year as a coach. McHale didnt even have a summer league and very little training camp last year. It wasnt much different than a half-season interim coach job.

12. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Mchale is doing fine. There are definitely better coaches out there but a ton of worse ones too. Doubt he can take a team to the title. His staff is composed of one guy who knows Xs and Os (Finch) - everyone else is a dime a dozen.

13. dantian

dantian Member

McHale has the talent of a Phil Jackson and the Rox can afford to grow with him on the job and wait 5some year for him to mature.;)

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, except that he's just an asset. Morey will trade him before his rookie contract is up.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nice take..... all he need is a Tony Parker - Lin ???
    and a Duncan

We got Ginobili

16. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Welcome to the Houston Rockets, Pops!........................ I b wakes up.:(

17. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

in response to the title of this thread: Tell that to Lowry. LOL.

18. Cazuquel

Cazuquel Member

Lin does not any love for Mcfail.
    Lin not invited Mcfail to your party
    Mcfail removed Lin from All-Star Game, Always hurting Lin.
    Mcfail is a big ****.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think McHale has been very good since opening up his offense a bit and letting guys drive more / create. Particularly been helpful with Lin.

So I don't see how people can really criticize McHale at this point, seems like he is making the right tweaks.

20. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Doc Rivers, 1999-2000 season, Orlando Magic. They didn't even make the playoffs.

For wiki
    "In 1999, the Magic, under General Manager John Gabriel, who was later named Executive of the Year, hired rookie-coach Doc Rivers. Gabriel dismantled the previous team trading their only remaining superstar Anfernee Hardaway to the Phoenix Suns for Danny Manning (who never donned a Magic uniform), Pat Garrity, and two future draft picks. The Magic were then a team composed of virtually all no name players and little experience which included team captain Armstrong, Bo Outlaw and a young Ben Wallace, along with Coach Rivers led the Magic to a 41–41 record, barely missing out on the playoffs. At the end of the season Rivers was named Coach of the Year. That year was characterized by the slogan "Heart and Hustle", as the team was known for its hard-working style."