1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vernon Macklin left the Vipers for the Philippines

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Heard this today, and it's news that is out there as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Gotta get dis bread for my new born.....</p>&mdash; vernonmacklin (@vernon_macklin) <a href="https://twitter.com/vernon_macklin/status/301776981127753729">February 13, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ima always make the best moves for me and my family.....</p>&mdash; vernonmacklin (@vernon_macklin) <a href="https://twitter.com/vernon_macklin/status/301929367217516545">February 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Making major moves, gotta get wit it or get Lost...</p>&mdash; vernonmacklin (@vernon_macklin) <a href="https://twitter.com/vernon_macklin/status/302629916946616322">February 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Long flight to the Philippines tomorrow.....gonna be out there with my bro @<a href="https://twitter.com/denzel_bowles">denzel_bowles</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23757hooper">#757hooper</a></p>&mdash; vernonmacklin (@vernon_macklin) <a href="https://twitter.com/vernon_macklin/status/302644367368278016">February 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

He was playing well ... was probably close to an NBA call-up.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! Just like that. I liked Macklin.

3. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Yeah. He's gonna play here. He'll be against Denzel Bowles, Renaldo Balkman and other Imports

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Players love it here in the Philippines. He'll be an instant celebrity, especially if he plays well.

I'll watch out for him.

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Damn, was hoping for a Gator reunion with Chandler in the NBA.

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

He will develop his game more playing overseas. He will be playing all the minutes he can handle there and he'll also be the #1 option on offense.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Me too. Too bad he couldn't wait but I can't blame him. I think he'll get a shot at the NBA again.

8. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

wow renaldo balkman. remember when the knicks drafted him in the first round when he was projected by many to go in the second? good times

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

hope the best for Vernon Macklin
    and for a speedy return

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Me too. I just begun to know who he was and his game.

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Which team he be joining? Will he be playing in the ABL?

12. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

lol. he is absolutely terrible. will never ever play in NBA

13. startah

startah Member

too bad Vernon is playing on a bad team. GSM probably has the worst coach in Asia...

14. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

He's going to play in the PBA not ABL. He'll play for the Ginebra Kings.

15. NotChandlerParsons

Shame, but understandable. DLeague offers a simpler path to the NBA, but the money is garbage.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I wish you the best, Vernon. Enjoyed watching you play in Austin against the Toros. Sounds like it's time to be an ambassador!

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

They're the Lakers version of the PBA.

18. Crabdribbles

Crabdribbles Contributing Member

I remember reading an article not long ago about how much D-League players make and it's really not that much, so no surprise he's gone elsewhere for the time being. It's a shame though, he was playing pretty well for the Vipers (14.6 points and 5.6 rebounds per game). But the good news is that there will be more playing time for Whiteside and Ohlbrecht.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Somewhat disappointing as he seemed to have a good motor and hustle. He would never be a starter but a good high energy guy at the end of the bench.

20. startah

startah Member

are you a Filipino?

IMO Petron has close resemblance to the lakers this season...