1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Austin) Need Cable & Internet Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I have uverse and I'm really happy with it.

2. dial1revenge

dial1revenge Member

I'm in the 78751 as well... weird.

Me and my roommates got DirectTV because it had the Genie deal where we can get three free mini clients for our bedrooms. I got NBA league pass and all is well for me. My roommates have complained about not having some channels, but they aren't sports fans. With four of us we're paying $15 a month each..

I used to have Grande Communications at my old apartment and I prefer it, but they didn't serve my/our area when we checked.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bump...

question for those of you with uverse...

I've been with TWC for going on 14 years. I don't really have any complaints but I'm seeing a deal with uverse that's going to be hard to pass up. The thing is, every year when I re-up with TWC, I'm generally able to get the good deals reserved for new customers. What's been the experience with renewing with uverse? Have you been able to continue getting the advertised deals?

I think that's going to be the tipping point for me. I don't mind having to renegotiate every year...but I don't want to have to switch back and forth, either. If I know there's a pretty good chance I can keep paying a good price, I'll make the switch.

4. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

Grande Communications has a cheetah package that gets a legit over 100mbs/sec. I had the turbro package and it still crushed Comcast's best package so hard. Now that I live in Houston again I can attest that it crushes Time Warner also.

5. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I've got U-Verse in Houston and while it's not terrible, it suffers occasionally when streaming video. My guess is that AT&T occasionally throttles the connection. I get my full 12mbps on speedtest.net, but I can't even stream 360p video on YouTube or Twitch. Unfortunately, I can't switch to Comcast because they're not available in my apartment... which is pretty lame.

I'd be wary of AT&T if I were you. Don't lock into too long of a contract, either, as Google Fiber will be coming to Austin soon. (and yes, I am very jealous)

6. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

forced to have TWC at my apartment complex, and this is what I got on wifi if it's helpful

[​IMG]

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

i've heard really good things about time warner.