1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Jeremy Lin ready for Bay Area homecoming"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jocar, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jocar

jocar Member

OAKLAND — A lot has happened since Bay Area native Jeremy Lin last played at Oracle Arena nearly 14 months ago.

But when he returns Tuesday, as the Warriors host the Houston Rockets, Lin will have proven the most important thing of all: he belongs.

The third-year point guard isn't as dominant as he was at the height of Linsanity, when he carried the injury-riddled Knicks into the postseason. Nor is he a career 13th man, in the league because of his demographics.

What Lin is, now that the smoke has settled, is the starting point guard for a team in the mix for the Western Conference playoffs.

That's a pretty significant end to a story that began with the Warriors dumping him to clear up salary cap space.

"I didn't know it would happen this fast," Lin said after Houston's practice Monday in San Francisco. "Midway through my first year in the league, I was like, 'Dude, I could do this. I can play at this level.'"

Lin said he's loving being a Rocket. He even considers it home now.

He's found Houston, the peaceful middle ground between the pressure of the Bay Area and the magnitude of New York.

He can walk around, have dinner in comfort. He doesn't have hype pressing down on his shoulders, or doubt shoving him in the back. Houston is as close as he's been to just playing, an experience Lin said he hasn't known since Harvard.

"I think I'm in a good place where I can grow and mature and get better as a player," Lin said. "And kind of go at
    a reasonable, normal pace. ... Playing (in the Bay Area) my rookie year was tough. There was a lot of pressure and I wasn't ready for it. And then New York is New York. Houston is a nice change of pace for me."

Lin is not completely void of pressure and expectations. Houston did sign him to a three year, $25 million contract. And the spectacular production of Linsanity — 17.8 points, 7.4 assists and 3.7 rebounds in 33.1 minutes — has come back to earth.

But the rush to win immediately was erased when the Rockets revamped the roster after its attempts to land Dwight Howard failed. The numbers of eyes affixed on him to be the solution were lessened when management traded for Oklahoma City guard James Harden, demoting Lin to the Robin role in the dynamic backcourt duo.

Unlike in New York, where the entire offense seemed to revolve around milking Lin's pick-and-roll abilities, Houston is challenging Lin to be a better point guard. The Rockets like to play at a fast pace and shoot a ton of 3-pointers (which the Warriors learned the hard way in their first match-up). Lin still gets to run the pick-and-roll, but he also has to play some off the ball and look to get his teammates going.

"He couldn't shoot like he shoots the basketball now," former Warriors and current Kings coach Keith Smart said. "He was still trying to get the ball to the basket, where defenses were waiting on him. But that next year, or year and a half, his game changed because his jump shot evolved. And once the jump shot evolved, he had a great feel for finding people, making plays to other teammates. And then his game took off."

During Linsanity, he was averaging 13.5 shots per game. This season, he's taking about three shots fewer. In New York, Lin's usage rate was 28.9 percent of the plays. With Houston, he's down to 19.7.

Some say Lin's decline in production was proof Linsanity was a fluke.

Reality says Lin is a catalyst for a team on the rise in the Western Conference.

That's a fairly astounding reality based on where his career was the last time he played in Oakland, when many thought his signing was a public relations stunt aimed at tapping into the Bay Area's Asian population.

Perhaps he has found stable ground on which to plant his career.

Stephen Curry...
    http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_22570569/jeremy-lin-ready-bay-area-homecoming

2. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Repost kind sir.

4. jocar

jocar Member

*cough*Lin fans...
    Like I've been saying...thank you Mchale???

5. jocar

jocar Member

my bad! I didn't see it

6. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Nothing in that quote is indicative of McHale's coaching. Lin was a Knickerboxer a year removed from Golden State.

7. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Nice quote from Stephen Curry. :)

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Neither did I......;)

9. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

He's talking about his mid range J during Linsanity... :rolleyes:

10. hltiki

hltiki Member

I'm sure many people, myself included, and as apparent on this board, wince every time Lin throws a touchdown pass, shoots a 3 pointer, dribbles into the paint, or plays any PG not named Derek Fisher. Yes, doubt in Houston still exists, but luckily for Rockets and Lin fans, he has proven, though inconsistently, the doubters incorrect, as he has done for most of his life.

Also, I thought Lin was brought to Houston to make the Chinese Yao fans stay Rockets fans? I'm sure if Lin gets traded, the team trading for him will be accused of the same motive.

11. VanityHalfBlack

What the hell are you talking about?

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

Just pointing out that doubt and monetary motive exists despite geography... =\ didn't mean to offend you if I have

13. BayAreaBaller

BayAreaBaller Member

Uh, what does that have to do with McHale? I've been following your posts and you're way off to a point where it's laughable.

All this Rockets coaching staff has done to Jeremy is consciously marginalize him. Yeah, that's what all the "LOF's" say, but it's the cold hard truth. In the local hoops circle around here in the Bay, it isn't a secret about how Jeremy feels about how he's being used. I wish he'd be selfish for once instead of being such a team guy and going with the flow.

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

Elaborate please

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I take it you're trying to bag the coaches but instead you're making him seem two-faced and not truly humble.

16. davek

davek Member

JLin better bring his A game. I'll be really piss if I see Delfino dribbling and trying to make plays again.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should take it coast-to-coast every time and dunk it.

If the coaches let him, that is.

18. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Isn't a secret? That is kind of unprofessional

19. holly1985

holly1985 Member

This.

20. jocar

jocar Member

I skimmed through the article b/c the game was about to begin, so I wasn't sure what time period they were referencing for his improved shots..

But can you deny that his 3 point shooting has improved this year, because he is taking them more in this spread system?

Btw, I can call my group of Thursday bball friends a local hoops circle too, but it wouldn't make their opinions secret insider info - that would be laughable.