1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Aware That Houston Has Become More Attractive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Feb 6, 2013.

?

Do you want Dwight Howard in free agency?

1. Yes, a Ho is hand is better than two in the bush

417 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Nah, lets get Lebron next year

374 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'm not one to say stuff like this, but Dwight can be aware of deeznutz. gah I hate that I can get so riled up over a stupid bball player

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thanks dwight, we'v been working out.

1 person likes this.
  3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

It is not a "no brainier", and the people saying they do not want him tend to have reasoning and arguments, while a lot of the people who want him still act like it is obvious and no logic is necessary to justify their stance.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

or they might just be concerned over yet another diva with back problems.

He hasnt been that much better this year than Asik(who makes MUCH less) with Howard's existing back issues, and what if they never get better....or get worse?

I can totally understand people not wanting to take the risk. I'm not real sure I would want to either.

5. coweye

coweye Member

A dominant big man would be good but Bynum with basically no knees and Howard without back(bone)? No thank you. Some mentioned Lebron but he would never sign with us even he worked out with Hakeem. So what to do with our cap space???

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

Dwight can't do it alone? Why does he need Harden? LeBron was supposed to do it alone and got roasted for joining his superfriends. Dwight wants superfriends? Can't he do it alone like Jordan did? :rolleyes:

7. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

This illustrates the difference in mentality between Howard and Harden. Harden takes the tougher road, trying to establish a culture of winning. Howard is a frontrunner, looking for the best place to cash in on the work of another star.

8. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm with you. I feel like Asik is doing more than justifying his value. As long as Asik plays at this consistently high level I think the money and drama is better spent somewhere else. This is such a good team that just needs a justifiably maxable no 4. Take Asik out and put Howard in and what do you gain for the cost? If we play this right we could be contenders for years to come. In Morey I trust.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Hello, just say "NO" to this cancer. If he is willing to get a pay cut, then it may be a different story.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This is getting eerily similar to how Tracy McGrady became a Rocket.

Everyone was back and forth at the time about his health issues plus we had other teams in the mix for his services.

In the end everyone rejoyced once the deal was done, we signed him long term, and we starting becoming contenders.

See how this one turns out this time.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am aware that Dwight is aware.

12. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

For what exactly?:confused:

Everyone will offer him the max, he needs no more leverage.

13. Jedster

Jedster Member

Dwight may be bratty at times, but he definitely has a good heart.
    I know this cos I know people he hangs around with (I can't go into more details because it's personal stuff).

Yeah, it's not relevant to whether he can still play, but there were a lot of comments about him being a bad person or had a bad personality. I'm just responding to that and saying that while he can sulk, he's a good guy.

14. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

lol this would be kind of sick. And kobe trains Lin to become cold-blooded...one can only dream...

15. Vivid

Vivid Member

Cw3k was the one that pointed out the new California 13% income tax on those that make over a million a year. I calculated my figure assuming the maximum 118 million the Lakers could spend. How was this inaccurate?

I agree players don't sign contracts on tax implications. Do you choose what company and state you want to work in based on tax implications? The point isn't that he would sign based on that, but it could be a small consideration in favor of Houston if it were a close call. If your two dream jobs were located in different states, and you didn't mind living in either place, wouldn't you then look at the smaller stuff like a 13% income tax versus no income tax? So yeah, to say players don't sign primarily based on tax implications is a non-sequitur. However to say that they have no role, especially considering the amount of money at stake, is simply false. It has pointed out by many reporters that one of the reasons Lebron was okay taking a "paycut" to come to Miami was that while he got a smaller contract, he kept more of it. The philosophy for the states that have no state income tax is that less collected taxes will in turn promote spending. That's why Texas and Florida have quite an extensive array of tax incentives, particularly targeting the ultra-middle class and up. When Tiger Woods relocated from California to Florida, he stated that tax implications played a large role in his decision.

I also agree that players make decisions based on what is best for them now, not what they can get down the road. That's economics 101, the time value of money means money now is better than money later. Once again, this isn't suppose to be a deciding factor, it was to merely illustrate the diminishing scope of "30 million more." So if it were close and Howard went to Houston to at least talk with the Rockets, Morey might point out that even if he just got the MLE on his next contract, the difference between what Houston offered and what the Lakers offer is less than 10 million over the same time span. That is a reasonable conversation to have and one that would get player to consider future potential earnings and career trajectory. What if he gets injured and what if the CBA changes again? Great points, hence sure money now is better than potential money later.

So I don't disagree with your points, I just think you misunderstood why I brought them up in the first place. Dwight has a decision similar to Lebron a few years ago. Stay with an old fading team that took a risk on you and make more, or go to an exciting up and coming team and take a pay cut. If he is maybe okay with the pay cut then absolutely you try to sell the tax angle to down play any financial loss (technically he would be making more per year in Houston via tax implications). I don't have an opinion on your last comment other than my wife is hotter than she is so I don't care how she is rated.

TL:DNR- If things are close between Lakers and Rockets this off-season concerning Dwight, state income tax could play a role.

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I wonder if Houston becoming more attractive is because NO one else wants him?:confused:

17. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Don't want Dwight on a max with his bad back. Plus i just don't think he will be happy anywhere outside of Brooklyn

18. split41

split41 Member

I know Dwight has been a diva, but if he became a rocket that would be huge for this team. If we continue to improve like I expect we will, with Dwight on team we would be legitimate title contenders! And that's what we really want, that ring.

19. thekad

thekad Member

Nah, committing that much money to a guy over 4 years is pretty scary when we can't be sure if he will ever recover from his injury. I would take the chance though because a team of Lin/Harden/Parsons/Millsap/Dwight(08-12) is a surefire contender for the next 4 years.

20. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

with a name like 'hotballa' Ill take a wild guess and say you do. lol