1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amico: Rockets have a "keen eye" on Danny Granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 4, 2013.

1. mattie

mattie Member

Danny's huge worry is that he's coming off of an injury at 30 years old.

The efficiency isn't at all. First he is an efficient scorer now. He was a highly efficient scorer but it has slowly trended downward. It has trended down simply because he's started to slow and he never should have been a number one option.

Playing with Harden I'm willing to bet his efficiency would shoot through the roof. Most of Danny's missed shots were him forcing shots simply because no one else could.

Again, none of this changes the fact that Danny is injured, and PS&E would love to rob the Rockets blind.

2. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I think that's the best bet. Don't see the rush or the advantage for Indy trading him before the trade deadline.

Morey might be trying to test the waters to see if he can get Granger now with a buy-low scenario because of his knee but I don't think Indy is that desperate to move him.

3. mattie

mattie Member

Of for sure. I was simply trying to compare their defensive identity, since both teams would offer defense with a big time center as an anchor.

4. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

actually I would say that sheds some light on this for us...I dont think we really have anything they want. But we could get who they would want.

JJ redick.

3 team deal

picks/youth/patterson or morris to orlando
    orlando sends reddick to indiana
    we get granger

I think we could easily satisfy orlandos demands

5. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Heck, J.J. is a player the Rockets could use. He would be our J Crawford/J R Rider coming off the bench. He's a legitimate backup for both Harden and Lin and could even push Lin for the starting job. He could be a better addition than Granger for the long term because we have Parsons at the 3 who only looks like he's going to get better.

Indiana is going to need a Power Forward. They have good young Talent but West is probably the main reason they are competitive and he's a free agent at season's end and he's 32.

And I don't see Indiana giving up Granger for Redick when Redick can walk at the end of the season because he would get more money elsewhere.

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Good points and I dont disagree...I think getting reddick and then still trading for an upgrade at PF would be more desirable then granger.

But if Morey wants better def at the 4 and a stretch 4 type guy...granger might fit that better and this be where he goes.

the deal could work still... assuming we want it to.

JJ reddick/Patterson or morris to indiana
    Granger to Houston
    draft picks of some sort (maybe from both teams) maybe to orlando ... I doubt they will get a ton since he is an expiring.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I do think Morey will have legit interest in acquiring JJ Redick, but it wont just necessarily be for the reasons you mentioned on the basketball court. Thats just the bonus.

Remember, Redick will be a free agent this Summer, and if another team gives him money that he isn't worth in free agency, the Rockets are going to have to let him walk(if they acquire him.)

More than likely Morey will view Redick as a Camby type of acquisition where he could be an asset this year on the basketball court short term, and will be subject to a contract that might be able to be flipped this summer in a Sign & trade.

All the awhile this February, they can take on Redick's salary from Orlando with the cap space they have, and be awarded a draft pick by the Magic for their troubles. I dont know how desperate the Magic are for cap space, but for the looks of it, if it doesn't mean taking on long term salary, I dont see them have much urgency.

Still, if you give them someone like Marcus Morris as well to get Redick, its still a possibility. Morris for Redick + draft pick sounds like a deal Morey absolutely entertain. However, this is, and should be considered a short term small move. Not one that's going to be a difference maker of a long playoff run or not.

Acquiring Granger means much, much more to this team moving forward. If they are acquiring a player like him, obviously its with much larger plans in mind.

8. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

The Rockets could afford to keep Redick. It's not like he will command max contract pay. And on a team that takes almost the most 3 point field goal attempts a game in the NBA than he seems to be the perfect addition. Plus he is a consistent catch and shoot player which this team could use desperately and he would be excellent in the backcourt with Harden or Lin.

I know bringing in a big name guy like Granger is the sexy move but the Rockets would be better served upgrading the bench. And Granger would put more defensive pressure on the backcourt because when he's in the game and Parsons is out the opposing guards will go bat sh** crazy against Harden and Lin.

After Harden and Lin the talent drops off the cliff in the backcourt and that's what hurts the Rockets most (in my opinion). A better quality guard and possibly a rim protecting center coming off the bench would do wonders for this team and would come at a cheaper price than Redick.

9. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I honestly don't think Granger's defense is better than Patterson's defense at the four.

I don't think Granger is the way to go but if his knee is 100 percent I wouldn't cry if we got him.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I mean cheaper price than Granger.

11. Mock

Mock Member

If we can get Granger without giving up to to much. I would do this in a heartbeat.

No reason to go after a big name PF most of them are FA next season that would be stupid to do.

12. jocar

jocar Member

he broke

13. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Please god no. He's a good player don't get me wrong but also 29 and just not worth gutting the team over. Not to mention we have Parsons for a fraction of Granger's contract.

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Over the 2013-14 season, he will be taking up $14 million. What if a guy we're looking for becomes available during that time? Besides, we can trade cap space for a 1st-round pick, being the third team in a deal. Provided, that is, that we have the cap space when somebody needs it.

If we don't find our guy after this season, there's nothing that says we can't just sit on the cap space until something good comes up.

If were so important to give playing time to these youngsters, the Rockets would be doing it. As for needing to do a 2-for-1 deal, Morey always needs to do that, but he doesn't seem to share your hurry to do such deals.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can our Turkish brotha get a foul call?

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

How often are under contract star players traded for pure cap space? Even an over the hill "name" on an expiring contract is preferable for a team when they're still selling tickets.

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

We're trying so many different lines up, like Aldrich and Anderson getting so much pt lately, I have a feeling a trade will be coming.

18. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Why Granger? I think the Rockets should be looking for a PF not SF. Granger would be a nice pickup for the Clippers. They are weak at the SF and SG shot and need a legitimate 3 point threat.

19. ejarts

ejarts Member

only if a buy low.scenario. give them Morris and a 3rd round pick. then DMO can finally have some playing time.

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

A team that's trying to get far enough under the cap to sign one or two max FAs in the off-season would be very interested, for example. It doesn't even have to be a "pure cap space" deal; if we have $14 million tied up, there would be more than just $14 million star players that we would be missing out on. Especially in the last couple of years, you see name players being pushed so teams can stay out of the luxury tax. Harden was traded for such a reason, you know. Chicago is looking to move players just for such a reason. In the last few years there has been lots of talk and more about moving top picks to a team that would help with cap space, usually by taking a bad contract.