1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Jacoby Jones has sure hands now?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 24, 2012.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

guess our management caved in to the media and fans' pressure of letting jones go. I'd be ok if the texans just demoted him from the starting lineup and make him share the kickoff/punt return duties with someone else. Cause now we aint got no deep threat whatsoever.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is pretty dramatic, and frankly, not the case within the Texans. I think we've been at a point where we could not AFFORD to let some of the raw potential go because we didn't have anybody waiting in the wings to step up. Guys like Okoye, Philip Buchanan, Jacoby....they were raw talents that had TONS of potential. It wasn't that the organization accepted their failures, and did not hold them accountable....it was that there was no other choice. Organizational depth, until the last two seasons, has always been an issue with this team.

In regards to Marciano, I really do think that Kubiak doesn't have the contacts and resources to garner some outside-the-team advice on coaching decisions, so he sticks with the guys he knows and trusts. If he was Bill Belichick, he could have put out an APB on getting a new Special Teams coach, and he would have the most innovative, up-and-comers in football sending in their resumes.....however, Kubiak doesn't have that persona, and he doesn't have the moxie to try something completely different. If that's the same thing as no accountability, then so be it.....but I do think, behind closed doors, Kubiak lights his players and coaches up when things aren't going well.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Actually, i think that was on him. I guess a coach could mention it more, but we don't know what more would be, and it was too apparent for the player not to notice.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It had nothing to do with that. He was a cap casualty more than anything. His play did not justify his cap number (don't remember what it was but I think it was around $3.5 million), especially with us being up against the salary cap wall.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he did fumble a kick off return catch right? he's just lucky he was able to take a knee.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This would make more sense if not for what Trindon did in Denver. Both guys blew chunks while here, then immediately flourished on different teams.

Add to that the kickoff return against the colts that effectively ended our season this year (the one where no one came within 30 yards of the guy....) and it leads me to believe there is something missing from our special teams units....

Of course, we could fire Marciano and get someone new in here to fix it....but that could take years and cost millions of lives.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think Trinton's situation was more about the coaching. He was a young guy, inexperienced. Jacoby has been around and has had success before. There was an apparent pattern as to when he was successful vs when he wasn't. He's got to be held more personally accountable than Trinton.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol...he ended up having a pretty good playoff run :(

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

He muffed 2 punts. He was able to recover.

It isn't fair that we had to deal with his incompetence for YEARS. Then he goes and nearly becomes a superbowl MVP..

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Deion Branch was a Super Bowl MVP. David Tyree had arguably the greatest catch in NFL postseason history. I don't see folks protesting at Reliant to sign either of them. People really need to calm down about a couple of catches here and there, even if it's in a big game.

As I said earlier, it comes down to what we already knew: Jones is a very good special teams player and a below-average receiver. Like Diehard said, it boils down to the cap figure. His presence couldn't justify it in Houston, and there's already talk of him potentially being a cap casualty this offseason in Baltimore for the same reason. Bottom line is that it's tough to justify spending much money on a guy whose only above-average skill is on special teams. There's just too much variance from year to year and it's too easy to find a young quality replacement that gives you similar production at a cheaper price (see Trindon Holliday).

None of this excuses Joe Marciano... he should've been fired the moment the season ended. He's a disaster. But I still have no regrets over letting Jones go and have zero interest in bringing him back, should he become available in March. Not for the money he's making or seeking.

11. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

jacoby also dropped a ball on 3rd down in the redzone that would have kept the drive alive in the broncos game, it would have given them the lead late in the 4th and possibly not even needing that desperation play.. if jacoby didnt exist than they would have sent torrey smith deep on the final TD of regualtion.. theres nothing in the world you can say that will convince me the ravens wouldnt have still won the suepr bowl without jacoby.. hes their 3rd wr who caught 30 passes and 1 TD this year..

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

he had a good game. big deal. how many 'obscure' players just so happen to have their biggest games under the brightest lights, only to return to not doing much.

jacoby certainly didnt have a regular season to brag about IMO. 30 catches. one or two big returns. hmmm sounds eerily familiar. this postseason he was at the right time, right place a few times and now he's the next coming of jerry rice? c'mon people get it together.

jones will be a cap casualty when they have to pony up to pay joe flacco, you'll see. how about that muff during the game though, i sure got a chuckle out of it.

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

My point is it's not fair he gets to be a hero after the pain he caused us :(

14. ima_drummer2k

LOL, well it is kind of a big deal. I mean, it's the Superbowl..

It doesn't automatically mean we should have kept him, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he didn't contribute anything to the ravens success. He was their #3 receiver, so no one expected him to have 100 catches and 2,000 yards. He did more than was expected of him this year. And her certainly outperformed any WR on our roster minus AJ.

15. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Get over it! He had to go after that debacle of a performance in the playoffs he had for us not to mention lack of progress. He needed a change of scenery and clearly it panned out for him.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I just find it funny that we never used him as our primary kick returner...and then he goes to Baltimore and becomes the best kick returner in football.

We had Steve Slaton returning kicks over Jacoby, lol.

Marciano fail.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

don't ever mention Steve Slaton again...ever.

18. foo82

foo82 Member

As long as schaub is playing, we don't have any need for a deep threat. He will just end up underthrowing it anyways.

19. foo82

foo82 Member

I guarantee you that it was not a Marciano decision, but a Kubiak decision.

20. ima_drummer2k

That's really fresh...