1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

True Rocket Fan Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Oski2005, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm starting a thread for the true fans. A place where people can actually enjoy themselves on this board. A place where no dumb people are allowed. You know who you are. The ones who actually start "Trade Yao Ming" threads. The knee jerkers and cry babies. The people who after one game and only 5 total posts, start another in a hundred of "Francis and Mobley is are Dumb" threads. People who have no patience, stay out. I know it's ironic, I'm complaining about people with no patience, yet I'm being impatient with them:p Oh, let's not forget the people who think that everytime a black player dribbles the ball between his legs, that said player is streetball thug/punk/gangster. When I see Francis and Mobley bouncing the ball off the head of their defenders while on the perimeter, or putting the ball up thier jersey, then I'll complain about streetball.

Who can post here? People who know basketball. I'm just an average fan, and I accept that, but I am more than willing to hear from people who know about the game. I want people explaining why the Rockets should implement certain plays, like the time the UCLA cut was explained to me. People with patience. People who see Francis skipping during the Lakers game and say, "man, how incredibly stupid that was," instead of "trade his ass!" People who don't take one quote, dissect it, rebuild it, add to it, and then accuse our players of hating Yao. People who love Yao Ming, but have grasped the fact that he is human. People who think that Rudy deserves at least another season before demanding/petiotioning that he be fired.

What are the rules? Only one simple rule, don't be a dumb ass (I'm pretty sure dumb ass has already been defined).

Before I go, I want to explain the way I think and my feelings towards this team with what I call the Dallas Mavs theory. The Mavs are the number one team in the league right now. They are also on pace towards their 3rd straight winning season. Now, the important players on this team Nash, Finley, and Dirk, played together 2 seasons and had losing records before they became a playoff team. During those 2 losing seasons, Finley went through his 5th and 6th years in the leage, Nash went through his 3rd and 4th, and Dirk through his first 2 seasons. Those 3 guys, who many people respect more than our own players, and righfully so, all struggled alone and then together. After they struggled, they became winners. Where are they now, they are the best team in the NBA. Where does my patience come from, it comes from comparing those teams. Also, I see the differences, and those differences excite me. 2 years ago, we had a winning season and actually set a record for most wins and not making the playoffs. Last year was a fluke, had key players not been injured, there's no doubt in my mind we would have made the playoffs. This year, we are on track for the playoffs, though we have hit quite a rough stretch in February. I am willing to give this team 2 more seasons, though I believe they will be in the playoffs this year, next year, and for many years to come.

PS: I know what's coming and I'm ready for it. I've got my flame r****dant suit on and I brought some marshmallows. I just hope that there are some other fans out there who are ready to join me and hopefully, they'll bring some hershey bars and grahm crackers. So flame away you flame-tards :p

2. Oski2005

By the way, I know I misspelled graham and petitioning, but the edit function is down.

3. carayip

carayip Member

I share your sentiment. But I don't like labling here. What's the definition of a "true" Rockets fan? Those "Yao fan", "Francis hater" lables are almost as annoying as the love/hate IMO. I actually believe 95% of the posters here are really Rockets fans but just everyone expresses their views in a different way so maybe there are opinion conflicts which I think is natural. Otherwise who bothers posting here about something they don't like?

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't know Jack-Squat about basketball ( yea right), but I sure do love the Houston Rockets.

Go Rockets!! :)

5. Oski2005

There will be no labeling of so and so "hater" or such and such "lover." When I say true, I mean we care about the team as a whole and equally. That means that we criticize equally and fairly. For instance, before tonight, Mobley was shooting horrible. True fans would point that out, but note that he had been taking less shots, playing D, and doing a better job of deffering to Yao. The opposite would be to start a trade thread. Actually, discussing trades aren't bad as long as they are realistic. But they should be about improving the team and not about venting about the poor performance of a particular player. For instance, somebody brought up trading Mobley for Michael Redd. That is an interesting trade, though it may be impossible since the Bucks have Allen. Does anybody know about Redd's defense? He has an obvious advantage over Mobley because he's bigger, but that doesn't automatically make him better. His shooting is attractive though. If it was possible, that would be a trade that I would make.

6. dmkin

dmkin Member

Man,You should get used to this situation.How many people have visited here and sent any posts?maybe 10000.it is usual for some of the posters to be unsane or het-up.as a 'public' bbs it is unavoidable.

7. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I don't think it is right to label a person as "not a fan" when they complain.

The guys who are frustrated and angry are that way BECAUSE they are fans. I want the Rockets to win evey game but that is completely unrealistic. Just as them winning evey game is.

Patience has been talked about and incouraged when watching this team. I see this team as being a GREAT team for many years to come.

If we are on this BBS, we are all Rockets fans ( for the most part ).

Go Rockets!!!!

8. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I meant...( damn edit function is down :D )

I want them to win every game but that is completely unrealistic just as them LOSING every game is.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Nice try Oski..
    I also will be the first to admit I am no basketball genius, nor do I follow every move the other teams in the league make. but one thing I do know, it is way too early to be dismantling this team just because of their inconsistent play.

Maybe you shouldn't try to label them(the pessimist fans) as "not true Rockets fans"..maybe the could be pigeonholed as " impatient fans"...

It would be nice if some of our technical bball gurus would uncloke and get into a big discussion about the mechanics of various plays that the Rockets are tryin to run and whether or not the other teams are reacting to them and what the team should do to conter the defense.

It is stuff like that and the latest-breaking info about the Rox that keeps me checking in here...its just a shame there hasnt been alot of either lately.

Anyway, just wanted to check in to give ya some moral support, we(the patient fans) are out there, we just havent had a lot to say lately. Thanks for trying to keep it positive. Keep the faith. :)

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

True fan: not a Jazz fan, Lakers fan or fan of another team period. Don't ever cheer for another team while the rox are in contention for the playoffs. If the Rox are out of the playoffs cheer against the teams that beat the Rox or robbed them of a playoffs stop (i.e. the T-Wolves 2 years ago) and against the Jazz and Portland (Pippen factor). Don't ever stop watching/following the Rox even during the loosing seasons like last year and then jump back on when the team might be good. I hate the fans that change their "favorite" teams year to year, that's just a pile of bull. Know why we hate the Jazz plz oh plz. Supports the Rox with their paychecks, i.e. tickets, merchantise, league pass (if financially able to do so). That's yet on the top of my head.

11. orien

orien Member

thats why i hate kobe....he is an @sshole.:D
    and i hate laker, they are bunch of @sshole.:D
    rockets is the only team i love.

12. cmellon

cmellon Member

Without a healthy Shaq, I've got a feeling that Laker's recent wins won't be sustainable. In other words, contrary to popular belief, they'll fall. If Kobe continues to do what he did in the past several games, he'll run out of gas sooner or later, or worse even injured himself.

The Suns will set to no 8th. Rockets move up to no 7th. Lakers out (assuming Shaq has serious problems this time).

13. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

That's absolutely beautiful, I think that that was the idea. I understand what he means, and I agree with the previous poster who mentioned that we're all in the same boat..., but some people hate too much. Can't we all just get along.

14. mos-def

mos-def Member

after last nights game i realized something, this is how we should be playing. when i say that, i don't mean it like those "hatas" mean it, but in a different way. mo-t, moochie, and cat used to score in double digits on the regular. WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN????
    everyone tries to blame rudy t or stevie for the inconsistancies, but it is a team disease. 2 years ago those kids were a vital part to the success of the team but they have not been doing their jobs. there is no doubt in my mind that if they were scoring the way they can, our record would be a lot better, stevie would have more assists, and the rox would be the 4 or 5 seed.

i love this team and agree that this year is a gift, and that we really shouldn't be a real contender for 2 more years at least. thanks oski.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree on the following:

1) Rudy should be able to coach this team until he calls it quits...

2) Yao is only human and we can't expect the world out of this rook yet, but it's coming...

3) I still don't believe true Rox fans would even consider trading Stevie...Cat is another story (ha ha)...

4) I may cry like a baby when they lose, but it's done out of love...:D

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Like Rockets2K said, nice try Oski.

I think maybe "Non-dumbass" Fan Thread might have worked better than "True Rocket Fan Thread" though.

As for your Dallas comparison, let me add in the history of the Sacramento Kings.

The year before 1999, they were 27-55, despite having Mitch Richmond, Thorpe, Billy Owens, Corlliss and despite adding Princeton's coach Pete Carrill (master of their motion game) that year.

That summer, going into the strike-shortened season Sacramento landed Chris Webber and Divac in trades and added Peja and Jason Williams in the draft, plus had Corliss on the team still. By comparison, we added a 22yr old, oft-tired, Yao Ming, and went to a 20yr old, weakling PF as a starter. Now, that team is definitely more experienced and skilled than our Rockets this year, and they had the assistant coach everyong here would die for.

Well, they started that season 17-22. They closed out the season on a 10-1 kick, and barely made the playoffs. ironically, the Rockets started this season 27-23 just like what that Kings team ended up at, and would have made the playoffs at that point.

Oski is right. Comparing the Rockets to history shows more respect to the NBA.

and don't forget what Cato said today, all these players get along and they hate to lose more than you do...there is no disgruntled, lazy cancer on this team that needs to go into a doghouse. with regards to that: we should all count our blessings.

17. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

A Rockets fan to me is somebody who roots for the team, not individual players. I am afraid too many people on this bbs are just Yao fans and dont give a damn about anything that doesn't pertain to him. I mean, when a rookie gets more love than The Dream here there is a problem.

18. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

Oski,

The only thing I got from your post is

Patient Fans = True Fans

Is that what you tried to say?