1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Celtics Blow Their Team Up?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by munco, Jan 27, 2013.

?

Should the Celtics Blow Their Team Up ?

1. Yes

152 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. dragonz

dragonz Member

Ye, sure, and you would rather have Kevin Durant for the future right? well, that's not realistic sounds even for you, my friend, right? at least not until KD torn his ACL. LOL

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So what about KG's no-trade clause? Does KG really want to stick around now that the sash has been slammed shut on his narrow window of opportunity? Boston could consider it a favor to Pierce and KG to send them to other contenders for one last shot at a title before they ride off into the sunset.

They don't have to get a lot of talent back, just get the salaries off the books so they can get flexibility to start reshaping the roster. And, while it had seemed to make sense to keep Rondo as the first piece of the new roster, I think it might actually make more sense now to trade him too. Let some other team worry about having a major piece out with a career-threatening injury for a year.

3. Arthurprescott2

Mmm... wow that is cold. I know its a business but trading Rondo while he's injured is something good organizations would not even conceive of doing. That's just not the way to go about an honest business.

I think KG and Pierce would rather retire than get traded elsewhere. I thought they made that fairly clear during the off-season. That makes other teams very wary and Ainge is very conscious of the fact that the Boston fanbase demands that both retire as Celtics. Whatever his misgivings about hanging on to aging stars, there are moments where a team just has to take its lumps.

I doubt either get traded, more likely than not, KG and Pierce retire after this season. They aren't no-ring stars who need to go chasing - it was always Celtics or retire with those two.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you may be right. but i think there is just a good of chance that KG would like to try and win another title. i bet he wouldnt mind at all playing center for the thunder or something. beating the heat in the finals would be pretty sweet.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's easy to say "blow it up", but honestly....trading Pierce and/or KG doesn't make sense. For two reasons:

1) Basketball Reason
    -Pierce and KG are pretty much washed up at this point, they won't get you anything but cap relief, low draft picks and unknown dudes. In fact, I doubt they get you cap relief in the first place, KG and Pierce's contracts are near expiring, and other teams would be looking to DUMP contracts in order to get a stop-gap vet. If KG/PP went on the market all Ainge would be getting is trade offers involving Charlie Villanueva-type players. Then there's the $$$ factor, KG and Pierce put butts into seats, that low draft pick won't though.

2) Legacy Reasons
    -Paul Pierce has been the face of the Celts for over a decade now, and he's been nothing but class to the franchise. KG didn't get drafted by the Celts but he may as well have put "Celtics" on his jersey because he basically epitomized the Celtics style of play during his career. Both these guys deserve to retire as Celtics, and have their jerseys be put up on the rafters. The stuff the Celts will get in return for trading them is too lousy to amount to anything anyway, just eat the salary and retire these two, or sign them up for vet mins if they still want to play.

7. Fefo

Fefo Member

they should trade garnet to the spurs for Kawhi leonarD ( young talent), captain jack, bonner ( expiring contracts) and maybe a second rounder or dejuan blair. Both teams end up getting what they need... and you can only dream of a defense anchored by tim duncan and KG. That would be sick, and both complement really well each other on both sides of the court.
    The spurs have no future, 2 years top with an aging team, so they could try it out.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's like trading Isiah Thomas to the Bulls. There's a ton of animosity there.
    And again, no trade clause.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Mediocrity is the only thing the Rockets and Celtics have in common and surely not the determining factor to what the Celtics or Rockets should do.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>With injuries mounting, teams have begun inquiring whether Boston is willing to trade Jason Terry to get under luxury tax, sources say.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/297470992324907008">February 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Celtics are $1.5M over the tax line and need to make some decisions before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/297471270709243905">February 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Thus far, the Celtics remain in wait-and-see mode and have not indicated a strong appetite to deal.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/297471440184287232">February 1, 2013</a></blockquote>

11. craguin

craguin Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=at6dq6h

Pierce & Aaron Brooks to OKC.
    Cousins, Evans, & Lamb to Boston.
    Westbrook & Perry Jones to Sacramento.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's a little extreme. :p

Boston no doubt makes that trade.(They get Cousins and only give up Pierce?! STEAL!)
    Sacramento probably makes that trade.
    Oklahoma City DOES NOT make that trade.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

LOL why would OKC trade an all-star pg who hasnt reached his prime yet for a most improved player 3 years ago and a past his prime all-star on his last stint?

14. FearTheBeardJH

Did OP really say Rondo is Celtics best player. Hello. Do you watch basketball? Best Celtics player by far is Kevin Garnett who is still the most impactful defensive player in the league. Celtics has top 3 defense in the NBA when he is on the court. And they are dead last by wide margin when he is on the bench.

Rondo sucks. Plain and simple. He is incredibly inefficient turnover prone player. In five-plus years with Rondo, the Celtics have only had a top 10 offense once. They were ranked 24rd last year and they are ranked 23rd this season. That's team who had Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen on their roster. I think you must be genius to pull that off. Or a player who can't shoot, can't make free throws and rather pass wide open layups for contested mid range jumpers to stat pad his assists.

His biggest value is rebounding and defense though. And he's been mediocre on defense this season that's why Boston was 14-21 when Rondo played and they are about to be 9-2 without Rondo if they beat Orlando now.

Should Celtics blow their team up? They should have done it weeks ago and they should trade Rondo for player like Kyle Lowry to improve their offensive efficiency. If they were above average on offense, they would be serious threat to Miami, because they'll always be an elite defensive team when KG is playing.

Sullinger was great so far though and they will miss him much more than Rondo. Mostly because they'll have to play Jeff Green more.

15. WEHTT90s

WEHTT90s Member

No.

It's no telling how far they would have gotten if not for KG getting hurt in 2009. They may have won the 2010 finals if not for 12 lopsided calls resulting in 21 4th quarter free throws for the Lakers. They nearly got past Miami last year, and that was without Jeff Green, Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Wilcox.

I thought 2010 was their last shot to win a title. They did well adding depth to the team, though I can understand being skeptical of the money they're tied up into. They may have another year or 2 to contend. I like most of the proposed trade ideas.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources tell Sporting News that the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Clippers">#Clippers</a> have contacted the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Celtics">#Celtics</a> about Kevin Garnett. Offer would include Caron Butler and Beldsoe.</p>&mdash; Sean Deveney (@SeanDeveney) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/298127958336479232">February 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Remember, Celtics have not yet decided whether they're going to stick it out with this team or make changes just yet.</p>&mdash; Sean Deveney (@SeanDeveney) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/298130696961134593">February 3, 2013</a></blockquote>

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Interesting proposal. FYI, this trade would also drop the Celtics below the luxury tax threshold, saving Boston around $4-5 million in the process.

This would also free Boston up to trade Rondo and Bradley. Personally, I'd love to get a hold of Bradley in exchange for one of our young bigs.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

More likely they don't decide in Bradley or Rondo until later on. Bradley coming back from injury and Rondo just tore the ACL. My guess is that, if this happens, they sell off older guys like Terry, Pierce, Bass and maybe Lee first.

19. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

What is garnett's contract? I would love him to come to Houston... If we could trade jones Dmo Morris Douglas or Aldrich with picks.
    Lin/Beaverly
    Harden
    Parsons/Delfino
    Garnett/Patterson
    Asik/Smith

9-man rotation!!!!

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why would the Celts bite on this?

Bledsoe replicates Rondo's position? So by bringing him in it would be partly a 'patch it up and try and make the playoffs' type move - all he'd be doing for next season is playing the spot backup minutes at the PG spot

But by trading away Garnett, and with Sullinger out, they'd basically be playing without a frontcourt the rest of the way, so I can't see why they'd go for it!

Mind you, they owe Green a fair amount of cash, perhaps it would be a move to give him the PF position?