1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[post trade] How many wins for Memphis this year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Jan 31, 2013.

?

How many wins does Memphis end up with?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2013.
  1. Less than 51

46 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. 51 or more

40 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The ESPN playoff odds currently project Memphis winning 51 games this season, but it doesn't know about this trade. Without Rudy Gay the rest of the way, does Memphis win less than 51 games?

#1 durvasa, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They are definitely better without Rudy.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

They will be bad.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This team can score enough, and they will give up around 88-90 ppg with this defense.

That will win them a lot of games.

This move sets them up to have to ability win the West. Tayshaun can guard Durant, then they can move Allen to guard Westbrook.

I think the Grizzlies already matched up really good against the Spurs, so it's a wash here.

I think this trade improved them dramatically.

5. prs325

prs325 Member

I really like this trade for Memphis. I think they got quite a haul and for the short term, Prince mans the SF position at least from a defensive standpoint. And Davis is a young up-and-comer that bolsters their bench and frontcourt along with Arthur. They received a second-round to boot, so all in all it satisfies a lot of their criteria and getting better defensively at the same time. It makes them a tough playoff opponent definitely.

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Imagine if the Bobcats and T'Wolves got involved with Detroit, Memphis and Toronto in the Gay affair.. a starting lineup of Gay, Love, Sessions, Daye and Knight ;)

3 people like this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't think they'll be as good overall without Rudy Gay because it limits their versatility. Basically, they'll be calling on a mixture of players to do what he did for them. With Rudy Gay they were a collection of good to really good players that were one Durant injury away from being finals contenders. Without Rudy Gay they will need to win every game with defense and will struggle in clutch scoring situations which require players that can get their own shot. They could get exposed in the playoffs, going on brutal scoring droughts and possibly losing in the first round.

However, 51 wins is very doable. The grizz currently have a .659 winning percentage, 51 wins is just a .622 winning percentage. I doubt they falter much beyond that.

8. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Would rep if i could haha

1 person likes this.
  9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I don't imagine then being worse. They are still a great tough, defensive team. The Grizzlies are the kind of team I wish the Rockets were, but Harden is good enough offensively for us to be way better offensively.

10. gah

gah Member

Remember Memphis became a real playoff threat once Rudy Gay went down. They've gone deeper into the playoffs without him than with him. They'll go as Randolph goes.

11. TebowTime

TebowTime Member

They also had OJ Mayo who spaced the floor really well for them. I can't really think of any pure shooters on Memphis' roster.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Gave you some rep. Keep getting some and you'll be able to rep soon :p

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

45 wins tops. They don't have enough scoring.

14. what

what Member

The grizzlies are awful. Good job management.

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Don't worry guys, Tayshaun Prince is gonna save the day for the Grizzlies, lol.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think it depends on the attitude of the players and, to a degree, the coaches. Do they keep fighting and playing to win or do they go "Screw management! ****ing Hollinger don't believe in us anyway! I don't give a **** anymore!"

If they approach it the former way, they can win 50+ games-- these guys did fine with Sam Young and Battier replacing Gay 2 yrs ago and Prince is likely better than these two overall. However, if they go the latter way, things can get ugly fast. The lost of spirit is one factor you can't easily judge by stats or on court scouting.

After 2006, Memphis traded Battier to Houston and immediately went into the tank even though Gasol was still there. Battier (along with other role player alterations) even in his prime, doesn't make a 20+game difference in team record. I think what happened was that Gasol just lost trust and hope in the team and was playing half-heatedly. Other guys (Bosh, Baron Davis, Deron Williams, even CP) have done the same. Really hard to measure motivation and an unmotivated team will lose a ton of games to motivated and less talented teams.

#16 Carl Herrera, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Exactly.

Better D
    Better Spacing. Randolph can play out more.
    Very little offensive drop off with Prince
    Deeper bench

Money to potentially use

18. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Rep'd.
    Thanks for the laugh.

1 person likes this.
  19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This should be fairly easy to gauge by looking at their defense. That team you're referring to had the 2nd best rated defense (with Battier) and dropped to worst in the league the next season (without Battier).

The Grizz are currently ranked 2nd in defensive and 17th offensively. It will be interesting to watch how that changes.

1 person likes this.
  20. VBG

VBG Member

I think they get there. They are a tough team. It might take them a couple of weeks to get flowing again.