1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Linsanity the Movie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Caris

Caris Member

LINSANITY Opening Night Film and Gala (Thursday, March 14, 2013, 7pm at the Castro Theatre and 9:30pm at the Asian Art Museum) and DOSA HUNT New Directions Launch with a special set by Indian Bastards from Hell, featuring members of Das Racist (Thursday, March 21, 2013, 6pm at the Asian Art Museum).

2. GIGO

GIGO Member

Lol while imagining you, being such a mild-spoken poster as you are, reading this post out loud.

3. zdrav

zdrav Member

Whoa. You're basically accusing recruiters of being racists who prefer Black (and sometimes White) players because they're too unfocused or perhaps even too stupid to "keep up good grades".

Even I wouldn't go that far.

Lin's BAM score in the pre-draft workouts showed him to have elite physical gifts compared to other top PG prospects. Where did that get him?

4. wukong

wukong Member

:( yeah can't have smart athletes...brains and brawn just can't coexist... sad sad sad... :(

In fact it is a lethal combo to have a very sharp minded athlete. Any position any sport.

5. Caris

Caris Member

I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you. :grin:

6. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

I wouldn't bother arguing with him. That guy is a clear troll.

The fact that even Kobe would acknowledge that Lin was overlooked says something about how evident it is that Lin's race played a factor in him not getting a sports scholarship.

7. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

They have now collected more than $120K !! :cool:

8. Caris

Caris Member

Yay!! The second $10K definitely helped.

9. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

That was fast. Lin tweeted and people responded. :cool:

By the way, Linsanity's anniversary in a few days! :)

10. wukong

wukong Member

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

11. bball7

bball7 Contributing Member

This video is not about the film, but I thought it was nice to see Meggie Q, another Asian-American celebrity rooting for Jeremy and the Rockets.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nj0agpHfWmw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#711 bball7, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  12. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

guys let me know when we can download it illegally.

13. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

It'll probably be on netflix before that happens.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

I don't think CantGoLeft is a troll. He just has seriously underestimated the effect of Asian stereotyping on Lin's career.

Here's an interesting study that shows that Asian-Americans with dominant personalities are LESS likely to succeed and be liked than passive Asian-Americans: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...oo-ceiling-for-would-be-asian-leaders/257135/

We often think that Asian-Americans don't rise to success because they're too passive and obsequious. However, it's more likely that it's the other way around: Asian-Americans are passive because they don't rise to success, and they see what happens to those who "don't know their place".

It's not as if people would be willing to let Asian-Americans become leaders and stars if these damn model minorities would just show some backbone. No, that's the self-serving and apologetic argument. Instead, people have neatly categorized Asian-Americans in a limited but useful niche as quiet worker bees, punchlines, and alternative girlfriends for when the uppity White feminists won't give you the time of day.

And if Asian-Americans want to break out of this mold, people get mad.

Of course, this is a very pessimistic view. I do realize that people of all races have embraced Jeremy Lin and lifted him onto their shoulders. However, he is probably still seen as an exception. I wonder what the reaction would be if a bunch of Jeremy Lins started to show up all over American society.

15. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

what is your ethnicity?

16. Playaz

Playaz Member

What does his ethnicity have to do with the article? I find that research interesting and probably 1 of many reasons why Linsanity happened.

17. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Thanks. Haven't seen that video before.

18. zdrav

zdrav Member

I'm Asian. Does that change anything? Does it give me more credibility in your eyes because I've lived what I'm talking about, or does it make me just biased and self-interested?

We need more Asian-Americans talking articulately about race. I'm not embarrassed to speak out.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Because he has pride in making this film a documentary rather than an infomercial.

He would not ask and Lin would not pay for the same reason.

20. zdrav

zdrav Member

Imagine if Lin spent part of his "undeserved" 8mil salary to fund a documentary glorifying himself. The LOHs' heads would explode. :grin: