1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Nuggets 1/30/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 29, 2013.

1. conquistador#11

this one is on me, guys. I spoke too soon.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Go ahead. :)

3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

lol, 4th quarter rotation screw up apologist. Sorry you can't shine ****. whatever you look at it.

4. wukong

wukong Member

Harden went in 4th quarter at 11:11 Lin did not go in until 9:43 and Asik at 6:16... 2 of the 3 ( at least) should have gone in at 11:11 not just Harden... game was too important and too close. It was obvious that Denver had made a change in play. Look at the game flow chart... 11:11 (or beginning of 4th) was the correct time to make a sub but it should not have been Harden alone.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=400278399

McHale was just too late in substitutions.

so close...

5. torocan

torocan Member

This is the part that kind of blew my mind in terms of the substitutions.

The reason you go Small Ball is because you're at a disadvantage and want to trade Rim protection/shot altering for the increased offensive advantage from speed and shooting. You usually do this when you are behind or you are having problems breaking down the opponent defense, NOT when you are leading or scoring effectively on the opponents.

The down side to a small line up is that it introduces a large amount of variation and is very hard on the players in terms of Stamina (especially at altitude).

McHale's error was that he played right into George Karl's hands. Denver was having problems beating our defense consistently AND we were scoring on Denver consistently. So, Karl changed his line up to small ball in an attempt to close the scoring gap. McHale pre-emptively changed his line up to start the 4th quarter without even seeing the results on the floor.

And then to do so without Harden or Lin on the floor at the same time... wow.

In terms of managing minutes, it's appearing that McHale and Co. are bordering on the inept...

6. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Lin's defense on Igodala around 6:55

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MkOJHxdFpYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. holly1985

holly1985 Member

And following that play, Ppat took too much time to inbound the ball. It's rare to see Lin getting frustrated on his teammate.:grin:

8. wukong

wukong Member

you are not alone. I was screaming 'RUN you Fool!'

9. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Thanks.

10. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Wow and the Denver scoreborad changed the score so fast, almost impossible to notice.

11. M4-Nightvision

Turnovers at the wrong time. Try to do to much. walking back on defense. you know who.Harden.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

To be fair McHale has gone small against other teams when the oppositions coach went small as well & it has worked for them in the past. There have been a few times when it has worked & a few times when it hasn't worked.

Honestly it isn't just McHale it is the entire coaching staff. When Sampson was the HC he did the same thing as well I believe.

My biggest issue is the continued leaving TD out there by himself. All he is able to generate is 3 point shots & turnovers. Rarely does his play making create shots at the rim or FT's.

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Awesome your the best.

Ok how do I do it lol I tried copying & pasting but I couldn't get the hyperlinks :confused:

14. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

3 wins in a row and McHale goes back to the same old crap and blames it on the players. I had hopes that he had finally seen the light but he just can't be trusted. If we make the playoffs he'll blow it. All this talk about trades but it hardly matters who we get he will minimize the teams potential. McHale MUST GO.

15. just a word

just a word Member

Thinking more on this, do players who are big men get much/any experience playing the PG position? I know that most PG's have some post experience just because they tend to be the tallest on the court in a game with average American heights and probably get shoehorned into playing center. I know Lin in particular had to be an all around player in HS and college due his team needing him to carry them.

And I think the unibrow is unique in the way that he shot up in height so much that he went from playing PG to playing PF, but other than that... or perhaps McHale in specific, would they know what to look for in guards and in in-game subtleties?

Not that I would know, personally, what subtleties there are, but that there are things that for instance Calvin Murphy and George Karl and Mike D'Antoni could see, because they've played as PG AND bigs, that McHale wouldn't because he'd probably most played as a big even in school? :confused::confused:

16. M4-Nightvision

Mchale and Sampson coaching styles is like twins.

17. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

joke of a post.

It's becoming clear to me that Mchale doesn't know how best to utilise both Lin and Harden at the same time. I think he's realising that Lin is a team ball player and is allowing Lin to play that way more, but then at specific times he wants Harden to play iso ball, and it's best to take Lin off the floor at that time, as he wants three point shooters to complement Harden.

However!!! The team style of play goes from one extreme to another.....and I can tell it's throwing James off a little, and the fact that last night AI2 locked him down as well as anyone was going to lock Harden down...

James actually passed the ball a lot, until it was obvious at certain time he was either told/felt it was iso time....

I thought Lin played really well, and didn't get the right mix of minutes, sat too early in quarter 1 and again in quarter 3.

All in all, Denver is a pretty good team, don't forget they beat the Thunder earlier on in the month!!

18. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

This....sometimes I feel like I was in the Bleacher Report "post grade analysis" section when Clutch speaks. You know, the part where they give Lin a C when Lin might have had 12 points, 8 assists on 3/8 shooting when he was clearly orchestrating the high powered offense that got us 120 something points, and then gives Harden an A when he was being spoon fed by Lin. And then of course, when Harden has 6 turnovers that leads to maybe 10 points for the other team, but Harden scores 15 points, on 5/20 shooting, they give Harden a B-. You guys should really check the grade discrepancy on Bleacher Report. It's quite funny actually.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

20. kozmo

kozmo Member

H did that twice last night.... My reSpect for harden is fallomg