1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Let's see what his stats are for the rest of the season now that it looks like McHale has FINALLY decided to actually play him at PG and Harden at SG. They've done this the last 2 games - both wins - and EVERBODY's stats are better.

Why did it take McHale over half the season to play them in the positions they were signed for? Waste of a lot of games but I'm optimistic about the rest of the season. Go Rockets!!

2. conquistador#11

I think those are perfect numbers for a really good pg. I don't want him taking away shots from harden, unless it's one of those nights.

However, using lin's struggles during the 7 game debacle seems insane. You can say the same thing about our all star who wanted to prove mchale wrong, that indeed we were working as brick layers in a texas summer. 25% shooting, missing layups and getting rejected at will.

We're a young team, a lot of ups and downs with every player is to be expected.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

82games is probably the best place to look to see ball handling. His hands rating has improved slightly from last year to this year.

http://www.82games.com/1112/11NYK3.HTM

http://www.82games.com/1213/12HOU2.HTM

I think the biggest improvement in trunovers is that he is a lot less turnover prone in transition than he was last year which is key because the Rockets are a transition team & not a half court team. Last season he was one of the worst transition player in the NBA posting a PPP of 0.857, placing him in the bottom 12 percent of all NBA players. That was because he gave up the ball on 26.2 percent of his transition possessions. This season it is a lot better posts a PPP of 0.95 & he turns the ball over 18.5% of his transition possessions.

4. wukong

wukong Member

He did have knee surgery and early on in the season had massive ice on his knees even during games that he then returned to play. it takes a LONG time to recover from surgery and then go back to your normal abilities. .. much less elite athletic ability required in the NBA. That is not an LOF excuse it is reality. if you have never watched a preson recover from knee surgery I respectfully ask you follow Rondo on his journey to recovery from his torn ACL. Once the stitches are healed you are no magically back to normal. it takes LONG time for your muscles and ligaments to heal properly and to rebuild. NO practice going on while this is happening. Let's take this conversation back up next year as Rondo recovers.

as for Lin's stats:
    Split FG% FT% 3P% TS%
    October 41.7 100 0 46.6
    November 37.3 79.4 26.3 45.6
    December 48.9 84.1 29.2 57.1
    January 38.7 72.1 30.8 49
    Last 10 37.1 72.7 30.8 48.1
    Season 42 78 28.6 50.8

5. peter2012

peter2012 Member

That's because we play a fast-paced game, some of his turnovers are long pass turnovers. But I hate to see his some sloppy pass type of TOs, also he got at least three travel type of TOs.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Dumb logic.

You are making the assumption that people who hate something will actively spend time "hating" on it just as much as somebody who is passionate about something will spend time talking about it.

What don't you like in life? Do you spend your time actively talking about how much you don't like it? Do you go to message boards just to talk about how bad it is?

There is a reason why this board is dominated by 99% Rocket fans and not 50% "Rocket haters", and I assure you a ton of people hate the Rockets.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Joke's on us...

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

:confused:

I am very confused by this. Nobody closes out on a poor shooter it defies common sense. Why would you reflexively close out on a guy who you know cannot shoot? Do teams close on Ricky Rubio? Do they close out on Rondo? Do they close out on John Wall?

The Rockets don't shoot midrange jumpers because those aren't good shots. Even harden doesn't take a lot of midrange shots & he has a deadly midrange game. We have seen Lin & Harden shoot the midrange shot in spurts but neither does it consistently for a reason. All of our shots are either FGA at the rim, FT's or 3's.

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Do you really expect inexperienced players to have any kind of consistency?

I am really surprised at some of the veteran posters on this thread. Dei must be grinning from ear to ear.

I will remind most of you that Morey got Lin for absolutely free; no picks needed and no players were traded. Shame on Dragic who didn't really wanna be here for asking the player's option when he knew Morey never gives out that kind of option to a someone who isn't a star,

Let me ask you this. Would you rather have Session, TD, or Beverley as your PG?? That's the realistic choice without sacrificing assets.

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I really wish you people would stop blaming all of Lin's faults on McHale.

There have been countless times this season when Lin just throws the ball to Harden at the 3 point line for no reason.

Hell, on about 10 different occasions, I have seen Harden look at him like "stop doing that brah" and pass it straight back to him.

On one of these occasions, Lin actually drove after that and scored a critical layup without about 2 mins remaining that helped seal the game.
    <br>
    All in all, I think this is all a confidence thing which falls solely on Lin.

11. wukong

wukong Member

where did these numbers come from? what shooting percentage is that? Hoopdata has these numbers... which do show improvement except for January which was a slump for everyone..

Split................TS%
    October..........46.6
    November.......45.6
    December .......57.1
    January...........49
    Last 10...........48.1
    Season...........50.8

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This...thread...just...won't...die...

13. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I'm NOT blaming ALL of Lin's faults on McHale. Certainly his 3 pt shooting has to be improved and he could cut down on his turnovers some. McHale's decision however to play Harden has not just hurt Lin - it has hurt the WHOLE team - including Harden. Did you watch the last 2 games after McHale switched Lin and Harden's roles? The whole team was more involved and we won.

14. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

I meant to say "McHale's decision however to play Harden at PG"

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am not sure i will agree with you. it's hard to explain confidnece.

1) it seems to me his confidence was high when he initiated offense more (not just dump the ball to harden).
    2) it seems to me his confidence was high when he was #1 option on the team.

if you still believe his confidence is the reason, i would say he must have confidence switch on him.:grin:

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    From this post I have gathered that you've never played basketball at any sort of level before. If a person makes even ONE outside shot you reflexively close out on them.

Maybe not fully, but enough to at least show presence.

That should give Lin enough room to operate since he is good at penetrating.
    <br>
    There's no point in arguing this since I recall a lot of situations where this has happened and Lin doesn't do anything. On the other hand you seem to say that this doesn't happen.

So, instead, next few games let's keep a tally of plays during which Lin gets the ball at the 3 point line and a defender at least comes close enough to him that Lin would be able to drive past him.

I wont be able to watch the first half of tonight's game, but i'll keep track from the second half onwards.
    <br>
    As for the second part, regardless of what stats say, the Rockets still shoot midrange shots. All of the Rockets shots aren't 3's/ft's/at the basket.

Harden hardly has a deadly midrange game. In fact, that is a huge knock on him. The bigger reason we don't shoot midrange jumpers is because no one on the team is really good at them aside from Patterson and he shoots them all the time.

To address this point further, I know it's been a huge talking point by the stats junkies on which shot is efficient blah blah blah. But the knowledge of shot selection isn't new to the Rockets organization this year.

Why then did the Rockets shoot so many mid range jumpers last year? Martin/Scola's game featured midrange shots as a staple.

If you are good at something you utilize it. You don't avoid it because the stat heads tell you it's not efficient. Martin is one of the most efficient players in the league and he shot a **** ton of elbow jumpers.

If Lin is good at shooting off the dribble, he should do that to keep defenses honest.

Once again, this is on Lin.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i remember clutch wanted to limit # of new threads.:rolleyes:

18. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

A note for all:

It's not Lin fans and Rockets fans.

All of us are Rockets fans. We of course also have our favorite players or coach, but that's true of any team/fan.

19. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

Well said. I like Lin but I also like all the players on the Rockets. They all seem like decent, hard-working guys. When the Rockets play I root for them. Because I like the way Lin plays does not make me a LOH. I REALLY wish that whole LOH vs LOF stuff would end so we could just have a Rockets BASKETBALL discussion!!!!!

20. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Too bad, some people think lin fans are enemy instead of rockets fans. When rockets win, lin fans also celebrate though lin might not have a good game, they must think that is deceptive. :grin: