1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boehner: Obama Wants to Annhilate GOP

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 23, 2013.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

right?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to remember but didn't Romney require some sort of Mandate thing in MA?

3. Major

Major Member

That's not looking at it differently - that's looking at it wrongly. Raising the debt ceiling does not allow the government to spend whatever it wants. Period.

No, this is not correct. The borrowing limit is suspended with no strings. But Congress doesn't get paid unless each chamber passes a budget.
    Not a balanced budget plan - just any budget plan.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

True, but the GOP will run nothing but Mexican Americans if needed to hang on to power. You can always get some folks to play ball with them. Look at the Mexican American guy on the TX S. Ct, whose wife burned the house down. He is a faithful servant of the 1%.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Very well. I'll explain my logic, and I would like for you to point out where my error is.

The debt ceiling is the maximum amount that the US can borrow to fund government spending. If this limit were removed, the US would have the ability to borrow unlimited funds, and that would allow for unlimited spending.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, it would only allow for unlimited spending in the event that there was a preexisting condition that congress had appropriated money on an unlimited basis.

Congress does not appropriate money in that fashion. That prerequisite does not exist, ergo you are wrong.

7. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Also, when did Obama say he wanted to eliminate the debt ceiling. Link with quotes plz.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Actually, I'm not. My argument had nothing to do with how Congress appropriates money. I was arguing that removing the debt ceiling allows for unlimited spending. And as per your scenario, it clearly does.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

The debt ceiling has nothing to do with authorizing spending, it has to do with authorizing the creation of government debt. Congress passes bills that spend money and in that, their power is already "unlimited." The debt ceiling just limits how much the government can borrow to pay for spending which has already been authorized by Congress.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And little Bush hasn't even announced what he's running for.

2014 is what would set the plan in place for the Texas Dems. If they can't find a way to take down Perry now, I'm not sure there is hope for the party in this state.

Just the thought that he could be in power for 18 years...I just got sick.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Your argument is entirely dependent on how Congress appropriates money, as it presupposes a situation of infinite appropriations. Your ignorance of how it does is it - not so much.

But for the sake of r****dedly stupid argument, I could keep the debt ceiling and set it to infinity - surely the same Congress which passes an appropriations bill allowing for infinity spending would have no qualms about passing a bill setting the debt ceiling at infinity?

OH NOES YOUR PRECIOUS DEBT CEILING JUST ALLOWED UNLIMITED SPENDING! :(

12. Major

Major Member

You stated:

Obama wants the government to be able to spend as much as it wants, whenever it wants.

Borrowing unlimited funds doesn't allow the government to spend unlimited funds. Only Congress can authorize that in a budget - and if they authorize the spending of those funds, they probably should authorize the borrowing to allow the spending of the funds they authorized.

All Obama has asked is for Congress to authorize the government to borrow the funds that it already told the Executive Department that it's supposed to spend.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Borrowing unlimited funds does allow for the government to spend unlimited funds.

"Allow" and "allow for" are not the same thing...

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what's the difference?

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Here is the full article mentioned earlier......

Sounds to me like a lot of Dems want to have Texas on the table for 2020 or 2024 when Castro might run. And the same arguments the Repubs are making could have been said about the North Carolina of Jesse Helms, which is definitely a swing state these days.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This effort could be enough to get many in Texas who have disengaged (out of futility), involved again.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republican party is in trouble...only reason they hold the house is because of gerrymandering.

Let Obama destroy it and help it become something useful.

Best case scenario is if the party splits into the far right wing and the center right, and then center left dems start to move towards the middle party.

18. Major

Major Member

Well, if you want to look at it that way, the government already has that ability by minting trillion dollar platinum coins. All the debt ceiling does is allow for the government to borrow unlimited funds. It can already print and spend funds if it wants to.

19. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The debt ceiling isn't an impenetrable wall preventing Congress from spending unlimited funds. If Congress wanted to spend an unlimited amount of money, they could continually vote to raise the debt ceiling.

I think the fact that Congress has voted to raise the ceiling something like 40 times the past 50 years (typically in landslides) ought to tell you how well the debt ceiling works at "reining in" government spending.

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think Obama will give in as always. He'll try to take the middle road and will get owned.